Hauling a Person with a Disability

  • Ben Savoca
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 4, 2008
      My fellow Long-Truckin' Cargo Haulers (and Joel),I'm a city ambassador for Couchsurfing.com, and my Xtracycle gets rave reviews from all the guests that I haul around.In a few weeks, I'll be hosting a woman who has a neurological progressive disability. She's confined to a wheelchair and has somewhat limited movement. She's also completely obsessed with bicycles, even though she's never ridden one. I think it would be a marvelous treat to put her on the back of the X, even just to tool around the block.Of course, my primary concern is for her safety. I'm not sure of how much upper body strength she has, and I'm somewhat worried that she might have trouble staying upright. Furthermore, when I come to a stop, I need that second pair of legs to help stabilize the bike. I'm tempted to get a cam strap to use as a seatbelt, but I worry that might almost put her in even more danger if the bike falls over and she can't roll off.Has anyone had any experience hauling someone with a disability, and do you have any suggestions? I would really like to do this, but I fully understand that there are some severe risks involved.Many thanks,--Ben Savoca Vice President BikeABQ
    • Phil Good-Elliott
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 4, 2008
        Ben, you might want to try rigging something akin to these on your X:

        http://www.fatwheels.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=NEW%21+Outriggers

        Don't take a chance at serious injury from a fall. Get something to turn your X into a
        rickshaw-like bike so when you stop, you won't fall and your rider won't fall, either.

        Consider removing the FreeLoader bags, then custom building a new Snapdeck, except
        this would be a SnapSeat. You'd need to secure the V-racks so they would have no play
        and the seat would not be in danger of releasing itself in anyway.

        Just a bit of brainstorming to stoke your creative fires. Best wishes, whatever the outcome.
        -Phil

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Ben Savoca" <ben@...> wrote:

        > My fellow Long-Truckin' Cargo Haulers (and Joel), I'm a city ambassador
        > for Couchsurfing.com, and my Xtracycle gets rave reviews from all the
        > guests that I haul around. In a few weeks, I'll be hosting a woman who
        > has a neurological progressive disability. She's confined to a
        > wheelchair and has somewhat limited movement. She's also completely
        > obsessed with bicycles, even though she's never ridden one. I think it
        > would be a marvelous treat to put her on the back of the X, even just to
        > tool around the block. Of course, my primary concern is for her safety.
        > I'm not sure of how much upper body strength she has, and I'm somewhat
        > worried that she might have trouble staying upright. Furthermore, when
        > I come to a stop, I need that second pair of legs to help stabilize the
        > bike. I'm tempted to get a cam strap to use as a seatbelt, but I worry
        > that might almost put her in even more danger if the bike falls over and
        > she can't roll off. Has anyone had any experience hauling someone with
        > a disability, and do you have any suggestions? I would really like to
        > do this, but I fully understand that there are some severe risks
        > involved. Many thanks, --Ben Savoca Vice President BikeABQ
        > <http://www.bikeabq.org>

      • Cathode Ray
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 5, 2008
        • Nathan Klatt
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 5, 2008
            On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 2:22 AM, Cathode Ray <ray@...> wrote:
            > maybe one of these:
            >
            > http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ230306332012

            Well, if we're going that far, why not go all the way?

            http://www.bikeforest.com/cb/
          • Jennifer Brien
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 5, 2008
              On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 7:54 PM, Jennifer Brien
              <jennybrien@...> wrote:

              > A sidecar platform like a wideloader but hinged at the inner edge and
              > supported by a wheel on the outside. the classic cycle sidecars of 80
              > years ago were built like this. It allows the cyclist to lean-steer in
              > the normal way once moving, but when stationary the outfit remains
              > upright. Depending on her ability she could sit on the platform, or on
              > the snapboard with her feet on the platform.

              Here's a link to the sort of thing I have in mind:

              http://www.steves-workshop.co.uk/vehicles/sidecar/sidecarindex.htm

              I think the longer wheelbase and the wider mounting point available on
              an Xtracycle would work very well.
            • nicykathryn
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 5, 2008
                I like the previous suggestions, except for two things: the price tag,
                and the craftsmanship required. So here are two more suggestions, one
                that would be cheaper and easier, and one that is actually free and
                instantaneous.

                1: Build a simple support/safety cage for her: basically just a set of
                railings hose-clamped to the front and rear vertical tubes of your
                Freeloaders, with at least one cross-bar connecting them, right around
                where your passenger's back will be. You can add more bracing to your
                heart's content, time and budget and skills permitting: working with
                pipe is easy once you get the hang of it. Any friendly plumber can
                show you a couple tricks, or even do the work for you as a
                donation-in-kind to bikeABQ. But I do suggest you KEEP IT SIMPLE.
                Using a slip-sleeve joint on one side of a front freeloader tube, and
                you can remove that front quarter to allow your passenger to get in
                and out easily. This gives her some simple back support, and a
                handrail on each side to hold onto (or slump against safely). You can
                get EMT (steel tubing used for electrical conduit), hose clamps and
                corner joints from a hardware store or plumbing supply, and buy it
                from the guy who will cut them to the proper lengths for you. This
                will save you enormous time and make the stuff easier to transport
                home. Wrap the EMT with duct tape anywhere a hose clamp will hold it--
                this gives the hose clamp a better grip, minimizing wiggle and slip.
                (duct tape would protect your Freeloader tube from scratches too)
                Of course, if you're not used to balancing a heavy load without help,
                you're still kind of stuck.

                Unless...

                2: Just find a strong assistant with long legs to sit on the snapdeck
                behind her and hold her on! Tadaah, all problems solved. Despite the
                official Xtracycle weight rating, I have carried more than 400lbs with
                no trouble on a stock Motiv 36-spoke rear wheel with 2.2" tire at
                50psi... and on rutted & potholed pavement, crossing railroad tracks
                (but not dropping off curbs!). With the right assistant, she will
                ride safely and you will have the extra feet you need at a stop. No
                craftsmanship necessary, just statesmanship. ;-)

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Ben Savoca" <ben@...> wrote:

                > In a few weeks, I'll be hosting a woman who
                > has a neurological progressive disability. She's confined to a
                > wheelchair and has somewhat limited movement. She's also completely
                > obsessed with bicycles, even though she's never ridden one. I think it
                > would be a marvelous treat to put her on the back of the X, even just to
                > tool around the block. Of course, my primary concern is for her safety.
                > I'm not sure of how much upper body strength she has, and I'm somewhat
                > worried that she might have trouble staying upright. Furthermore, when
                > I come to a stop, I need that second pair of legs to help stabilize the
                > bike.
              • cizauskas.carrie
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 5, 2008
                  Hi Ben,

                  We're really interested to see what you (and others) come up with as a solution here. I
                  don't have any ideas off the top of my head at the moment, but this might set some of the
                  other folks at Xtracycle to brainstorming. Please let us know what you come up with and,
                  if it works, we'd love to see some pictures and get a story from you about your actual
                  ride(s).

                  carrie

                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Ben Savoca" <ben@...> wrote:

                  > My fellow Long-Truckin' Cargo Haulers (and Joel), I'm a city ambassador
                  > for Couchsurfing.com, and my Xtracycle gets rave reviews from all the
                  > guests that I haul around. In a few weeks, I'll be hosting a woman who
                  > has a neurological progressive disability. She's confined to a
                  > wheelchair and has somewhat limited movement. She's also completely
                  > obsessed with bicycles, even though she's never ridden one. I think it
                  > would be a marvelous treat to put her on the back of the X, even just to
                  > tool around the block. Of course, my primary concern is for her safety.
                  > I'm not sure of how much upper body strength she has, and I'm somewhat
                  > worried that she might have trouble staying upright. Furthermore, when
                  > I come to a stop, I need that second pair of legs to help stabilize the
                  > bike. I'm tempted to get a cam strap to use as a seatbelt, but I worry
                  > that might almost put her in even more danger if the bike falls over and
                  > she can't roll off. Has anyone had any experience hauling someone with
                  > a disability, and do you have any suggestions? I would really like to
                  > do this, but I fully understand that there are some severe risks
                  > involved. Many thanks, --Ben Savoca Vice President BikeABQ
                  > <http://www.bikeabq.org>

                • BRUCE WILSON
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 5, 2008
                    Wike Trailers' extra large passenger trailer will take a passenger up to 5'10/150 lbs.