Re: [rootsradicals] The Big Dummy/Nuvinci/eZee build

  • Carl Ray
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 3, 2008
      Carl to Carl : )

      I am talking out of turn here - my guess that it is pretty robust because on their website they mention that the hub is adaptable to many other motorized applications. I am curious about the true reliability when you actually turn pedals for awhile. It seems really cool for sure. I love cool technology.

      On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 4:05 PM, Carl Mears <mears@...> wrote:

      Hi

      I'm lovin' those tires....

      Does nayone know anything about the long-term reliability of the
      Nuvinci?

      -Carl
      On Nov 26, 2008, at 9:08 PM, Morgan wrote:

      Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls | Members | Calendar

      ride to believe.
      Moderator Central
      Join and receive
      produce updates.
      Yahoo! Groups
      Find Green groups.
      Find Green resources.
      Dog Zone
      Join a Group
      all about dogs.
      .

      --
      Carl

      http://xtracycle.blogspot.com

      "Our planes and automobiles have made it possible for us to go anywhere and see nothing, but our simpler, slower means of conveyance, our feet and our bicycles and wind-powered boats, still connect us to this earth that is not ours to master, but to treasure."

      Kent Peterson
      http://kentsbike.blogspot.com/

    • Morgan
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 6, 2008
        I'm lovin' those tires too - they roll and cushion better than I expected them to, but
        also do well in the gravel and grass. So far, their only downside is their weight,
        but on a bike like this, I can't really be much of a weight weenie (not with both
        the Nuvinci rear hub, eZee front hub, LiFePO4 battery, Longtail kit, myself,
        daughter, etc...)

        I see nobody answered about the reliability of the Nuvinci. I have only been using it
        for a few weeks so I cannot say from firsthand experience. However, in all my
        reading on the 'net, it sounds like they are highly reliable - possibly even moreso than the
        Rohloff (though they haven't been around as long, so getting good data on long
        term is hard). There is at least one person running one with a stokemonkey, and it
        has held up fine to the extra torque. And, they just feel very solidly built, reminding
        me of other great products like Phil Wood hubs and Chris King headsets.
        So, the tea leaves are positive for reliability, but, again, the proof of that won't
        come until 10 years hence we can see how many are still running.

        Morgan