cam straps...why are end loops twisted?

  • Laura Hamilton
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 28, 2008
      OK, call me a big dummy (heh), but I am trying to figure out the cam
      straps that I got from Xtracycle.

      I assume that I need to slide off the Free Radical bags on either
      side and slip the loops of the cam straps onto the aluminum frame.
      Right?

      But the ends of the cam straps are TWISTED LOOPS of nylon webbing.
      When I slip them onto the aluminum bar, they remain twisted and don't
      lie flat.
      I don't get it. Am I missing something? Am I supposed to be putting
      them on some somewhere else? What up with the loop ends being twisted?

      Warmly,
      Laura Hamilton
      Mama to Julian (Feb '04)
      and Adrian (Jan '07)
      Life: http://www.viviente.com
      Work: http://www.theportablebaby.com
    • Laura Hamilton
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 28, 2008
        I guess I just had to type out my question in order to figure it out.
        DUH. Not nearly as complicated as I thought it was.

        I just saw this photo:
        http://images.nrsweb.nrsweb.com.edgesuite.net/image/media/1444_010506_400x400.jpg
        Riiiiight, the straps go *around* the frame and then through the
        center of the loop. Man.
        Well, I am embarrassed, but glad to know that this is a whole lot
        easier than taking the Free Radical bags off the frame. :-P

        On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 8:29 PM, Laura Hamilton <mslaura@...> wrote:
        > OK, call me a big dummy (heh), but I am trying to figure out the cam
        > straps that I got from Xtracycle.
        >
        > I assume that I need to slide off the Free Radical bags on either
        > side and slip the loops of the cam straps onto the aluminum frame.
        > Right?
        >
        > But the ends of the cam straps are TWISTED LOOPS of nylon webbing.
        > When I slip them onto the aluminum bar, they remain twisted and don't
        > lie flat.
        > I don't get it. Am I missing something? Am I supposed to be putting
        > them on some somewhere else? What up with the loop ends being twisted?
        >
        > Warmly,
        > Laura Hamilton
        > Mama to Julian (Feb '04)
        > and Adrian (Jan '07)
        > Life: http://www.viviente.com
        > Work: http://www.theportablebaby.com

      • Mark Garvey
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 29, 2008
          HEH Laura!  No need to be embarrassed!  The cam straps are now a permanent attachment to my X (yes I put them on right....the SECOND time!  duh!   But On T-giving day I was trying to start my "New car" (I bought a very well used cargo van for my business and to haul bicycles when I need to) and Struggled and struggled to get the key to turn....Must be a sign....anyway, the Previous owner is a good friend and came to town (The van was parked at my work, he is a co-worker) and it took him about 3 seconds to figure it out......"you were using the wrong key dummy!"

          Imagine Charlie Brown banging his head against a tree,

          So no worries!  At least you figured it out!

          Best
          Papa Mark

          On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 10:38 PM, Laura Hamilton <mslaura@...> wrote:
          I guess I just had to type out my question in order to figure it out.
          DUH. Not nearly as complicated as I thought it was.

          I just saw this photo:
          http://images.nrsweb.nrsweb.com.edgesuite.net/image/media/1444_010506_400x400.jpg
          Riiiiight, the straps go *around* the frame and then through the
          center of the loop. Man.
          Well, I am embarrassed, but glad to know that this is a whole lot
          easier than taking the Free Radical bags off the frame. :-P

          Warmly,
          Laura Hamilton
          Mama to Julian (Feb '04)
          and Adrian (Jan '07)
          Life: http://www.viviente.com
          Work: http://www.theportablebaby.com

          On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 8:29 PM, Laura Hamilton <mslaura@...> wrote:
          > OK, call me a big dummy (heh), but I am trying to figure out the cam
          > straps that I got from Xtracycle.
          >
          >  I assume that I need to slide off the Free Radical bags on either
          > side and slip the loops of the cam straps onto the aluminum frame.
          > Right?
          >
          > But the ends of the cam straps are TWISTED LOOPS of nylon webbing.
          > When I slip them onto the aluminum bar, they remain twisted and don't
          > lie flat.
          > I don't get it. Am I missing something? Am I supposed to be putting
          > them on some somewhere else? What up with the loop ends being twisted?
          >
          > Warmly,
          > Laura Hamilton
          > Mama to Julian (Feb '04)
          > and Adrian (Jan '07)
          > Life: http://www.viviente.com
          > Work: http://www.theportablebaby.com

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          --
          "I just like to blow things up!"

          Papa Balloon
        • Rick Pickett
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2008
            Sorry for the delay in getting this info out, but we also have a downloadable PDF diagraming how Girth Hitches work.

            Click on the "Instructions" tab and you can download the PDF.

            Glad to hear you got your Radish locked and loaded for the kids, Laura.  Rock on!

            Cheers,
            Rick