Re: The Big Dummy/Nuvinci/eZee build

  • Jake Wilson
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 27, 2008
      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Morgan" <mcgurme@...> wrote:

      (I'm still searching for a made-in-USA electric hub motor, maybe
      > someday we'll produce one ourselves if nobody else does).

      ~~~Well, Bionix is made in north America, but you knew that. Perhaps
      you were thinking more along the lines of a domestic manufacturer
      producing an electric geared front hub motor?

      Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!

      Jake
      Reddick Fla.
    • Morgan
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 27, 2008
        Hi Jake,
        Indeed, you are correct about BionX. The BionX is a great system for someone who just
        wants a "plug and play" electric bike conversion, and who doesn't have big hills to deal
        with. People who fit those criteria that own a BionX are very happy with them.

        But, on the other hand, the system is not at all modular - i.e., it is not trivial to upgrade
        the battery or any other component, because they are all proprietary. And, the system is
        not designed for high power situations, such as hauling a loaded cargo/SUB/long-tail up a
        big hill. There are some folks who just want a simple, effortless electric setup, and the
        BionX fits that bill. But it is not for the folks who want to tinker with it and "hot rod" it.

        So, that was a long answer, but yes, I would very much like a nice, internally geared hub
        motor made in the US (or, North America, at least).

        Anyway, likewise, Happy Thanksgiving for those who celebrate it!

        Morgan

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Jake Wilson" <sh8knj8k@...> wrote:

        > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Morgan" <mcgurme@> wrote:
        >

        > (I'm still searching for a made-in-USA electric hub motor, maybe
        > > someday we'll produce one ourselves if nobody else does).
        > >

        > ~~~Well, Bionix is made in north America, but you knew that. Perhaps
        > you were thinking more along the lines of a domestic manufacturer
        > producing an electric geared front hub motor?
        >

        > Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!
        >

        > Jake
        > Reddick Fla.

      • Mark Garvey
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 27, 2008
          On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 9:58 AM, Morgan <mcgurme@...> wrote:
          Carl & Mark,
          Thanks for the compliments!

          I guess if one thinks of a bike as a "toy" (like
          many Americans still do), then > $1K seems like a lot.  But if one thinks of a bike
          as transportation, then > $1K is not bad at all.

          We all still have a lot of educating to do ....

          Morgan

          A couple of comments here.  1) I own and drive cars.  In fact, I JUST bought a NEW (to me) car, a 91 Ford VAN full size....but then it was $500!  I am keeping it from being recycled into junk, and I am using it to haul me in REALLY cold weather.

          2)  I was looking at my expenses for this year.  From May to Thanks Giving, I spent about $50 on MY transportation.    people tell me that riding a motorcycle or bicycle most of the time is silly.....but then, I JUST had to spend about $800 to repair my Windstar!  Which is mostly used for My wife to get around with the grandchildren.  Sooooo, how is my $400 Xtracycle "expensive"?  Or even a $2000 BD setup?  I am perfectly content to ride my bicycle MOST of the time.  when I need to be fairly quick, I ride the little Honda (I just filled it up AGAIN after 3 weeks!  Cost me NEARLY $5!!!! Damn!  that 100+ mpg is just too much!)  when there is snow on the ground or it is BITTERLY cold (like below zero!) Uh......OK, car with a heater...yup, car...definitely...principals be damned!  I will drive when it is THAT cold!

          But that BD is WONDERFUL!  I LOVE it.  the Nuvinci hub seems like a COOL set up!  I like it!  I am trying to save my pennies and get a centerstand (a Kickback)  but OUCH!  $140!??!?!??!  WOW!  they are surely proud of that sucker!  thems a lot of balloons!

          mark

          --
          "I just like to blow things up!"

          Papa Balloon
        • Mark Garvey
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 27, 2008
            On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 12:12 PM, Morgan <mcgurme@...> wrote:

            Re: BionX
            But it is not for the folks who want to tinker with it and "hot rod" it.

            So, that was a long answer, but yes, I would very much like a nice, internally geared hub
            motor made in the US (or, North America, at least).

            Anyway, likewise, Happy Thanksgiving for those who celebrate it!

            Morgan

            Maybe we should Lobby Currie Tech to see if they will reintroduce the USPD!  I have one and I REALLY REALLY like it!  The battery is not up to the work always, but it works well and on MOST bikes!  It has proven RELIABLE as an anvil!  I have ridden it up hill and down, power and no power and it simply WORKS!  I can't think of anything that could work better!  I simply add power when I hit a hill, loaded, unloaded, no matter!  The Currie GOES!  Not fast particularly, but that isn't the POINT now is it?  It drags my fat butt up hills and with my cargo as well! (maybe 75-100 lbs as well as my 240!)  Oh yes, I pedal, but I try to NOT use the power assist all the way!

            Power ASSIST is the way to go!

            Mark
            --
            "I just like to blow things up!"

            Papa Balloon
          • Morgan
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 27, 2008
              Hi Mark,
              I had meant to blog about this before, but never got time to. About 3 months ago, a
              visitor at our house accidentally backed her car into the side of ours. It was just a little
              "fender bender" in which nobody was hurt. But, this little scrape up cost a total of over
              $1800 in repair costs for our car alone (and her costs were similar), of which $500 was out
              of our pocket directly, and the rest paid for in her insurance rates.

              So, yes, I own and drive a car too (on occasion, especially to haul 3 kids around). But, I
              also have come to see them as a nice luxury/convenience, rather than everyday
              necessity....

              Yes, those new centerstands are pricey, aren't they? I have one in mind, but it will come
              later...

              Morgan

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Garvey" <lazybee45@...> wrote:

              > On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 9:58 AM, Morgan <mcgurme@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Carl & Mark,
              > > Thanks for the compliments!
              > >
              > > I guess if one thinks of a bike as a "toy" (like
              > > many Americans still do), then > $1K seems like a lot. But if one thinks
              > > of a bike
              > > as transportation, then > $1K is not bad at all.
              > >
              > > We all still have a lot of educating to do ....
              > >
              > > Morgan
              > >

              > A couple of comments here. 1) I own and drive cars. In fact, I JUST bought
              > a NEW (to me) car, a 91 Ford VAN full size....but then it was $500! I am
              > keeping it from being recycled into junk, and I am using it to haul me in
              > REALLY cold weather.
              >
              > 2) I was looking at my expenses for this year. From May to Thanks Giving,
              > I spent about $50 on MY transportation. people tell me that riding a
              > motorcycle or bicycle most of the time is silly.....but then, I JUST had to
              > spend about $800 to repair my Windstar! Which is mostly used for My wife to
              > get around with the grandchildren. Sooooo, how is my $400 Xtracycle
              > "expensive"? Or even a $2000 BD setup? I am perfectly content to ride my
              > bicycle MOST of the time. when I need to be fairly quick, I ride the little
              > Honda (I just filled it up AGAIN after 3 weeks! Cost me NEARLY $5!!!!
              > Damn! that 100+ mpg is just too much!) when there is snow on the ground or
              > it is BITTERLY cold (like below zero!) Uh......OK, car with a heater...yup,
              > car...definitely...principals be damned! I will drive when it is THAT cold!
              >
              > But that BD is WONDERFUL! I LOVE it. the Nuvinci hub seems like a COOL set
              > up! I like it! I am trying to save my pennies and get a centerstand (a
              > Kickback) but OUCH! $140!??!?!??! WOW! they are surely proud of that
              > sucker! thems a lot of balloons!
              >
              > mark
              >

              > --
              > "I just like to blow things up!"
              >
              > Papa Balloon

            • Morgan
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 28, 2008
                Hey Mark,
                I meant to respond to this. The Currie USPD was nice unit. I used one for
                about 5 years (almost for 2 of those on my Xtracycle).

                But, the modern hub motors are great because they are even
                lower-maintenance, quieter, and easier to install on most bikes...

                The one area where the USPD really outshone many hub motors was low end torque.
                Once I put the BMC 600 watt motor upgrade on my Currie USPD, it was an incredible hill
                climber, and fast, too. There are a few hub motors that come close, but they are a bit
                pricier.

                Writing this, I realized that my USPD unit is just sitting in my garage unused, and
                that I should sell it. Right now, it is mounted to a 26" hand built wheel based on
                a Sun Mammoth rim, with DT Swiss Alpine III spokes. It comes with a Crystalyte 35A
                controller and throttle, and can run at 24-48V. If anyone has interest, just drop
                me a line. If not, someday I'll get around to posting it on Craig's list.

                Morgan

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Garvey" <lazybee45@...> wrote:

                > On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 12:12 PM, Morgan <mcgurme@...> wrote:
                >
                > Re: BionX
                >
                > > But it is not for the folks who want to tinker with it and "hot rod" it.
                > >

                > > So, that was a long answer, but yes, I would very much like a nice,
                > > internally geared hub
                > > motor made in the US (or, North America, at least).
                > >
                > > Anyway, likewise, Happy Thanksgiving for those who celebrate it!
                > >
                > > Morgan
                > >

                > Maybe we should Lobby Currie Tech to see if they will reintroduce the USPD!
                > I have one and I REALLY REALLY like it! The battery is not up to the work
                > always, but it works well and on MOST bikes! It has proven RELIABLE as an
                > anvil! I have ridden it up hill and down, power and no power and it simply
                > WORKS! I can't think of anything that could work better! I simply add
                > power when I hit a hill, loaded, unloaded, no matter! The Currie GOES! Not
                > fast particularly, but that isn't the POINT now is it? It drags my fat butt
                > up hills and with my cargo as well! (maybe 75-100 lbs as well as my 240!)
                > Oh yes, I pedal, but I try to NOT use the power assist all the way!
                >
                > Power ASSIST is the way to go!
                >
                > Mark
                > --
                > "I just like to blow things up!"
                >
                > Papa Balloon

              • J Loesch
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 28, 2008
                  HI Morgan

                  I am interested. I need more info and pricing. thanks

                  John Loesch
                  708-917-5353 cell
                  Villa Park, IL

                  I meant to respond to this. The Currie USPD was nice unit. I used one for
                  about 5 years (almost for 2 of those on my Xtracycle).

                  But, the modern hub motors are great because they are even
                  lower-maintenance, quieter, and easier to install on most bikes...

                  The one area where the USPD really outshone many hub motors was low end torque.
                  Once I put the BMC 600 watt motor upgrade on my Currie USPD, it was an incredible hill
                  climber, and fast, too. There are a few hub motors that come close, but they are a bit
                  pricier.

                  Writing this, I realized that my USPD unit is just sitting in my garage unused, and
                  that I should sell it. Right now, it is mounted to a 26" hand built wheel based on
                  a Sun Mammoth rim, with DT Swiss Alpine III spokes. It comes with a Crystalyte 35A
                  controller and throttle, and can run at 24-48V. If anyone has interest, just drop
                  me a line. If not, someday I'll get around to posting it on Craig's list.

                  Morgan

                  --- In rootsradicals@ yahoogroups. com, "Mark Garvey" <lazybee45@. ..> wrote:

                  > On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 12:12 PM, Morgan <mcgurme@... > wrote:
                  >
                  > Re: BionX
                  >
                  > > But it is not for the folks who want to tinker with it and "hot rod" it.
                  > >

                  > > So, that was a long answer, but yes, I would very much like a nice,
                  > > internally geared hub
                  > > motor made in the US (or, North America, at least).
                  > >
                  > > Anyway, likewise, Happy Thanksgiving for those who celebrate it!
                  > >
                  > > Morgan
                  > >

                  > Maybe we should Lobby Currie Tech to see if they will reintroduce the USPD!
                  > I have one and I REALLY REALLY like it! The battery is not up to the work
                  > always, but it works well and on MOST bikes! It has proven RELIABLE as an
                  > anvil! I have ridden it up hill and down, power and no power and it simply
                  > WORKS! I can't think of anything that could work better! I simply add
                  > power when I hit a hill, loaded, unloaded, no matter! The Currie GOES! Not
                  > fast particularly, but that isn't the POINT now is it? It drags my fat butt
                  > up hills and with my cargo as well! (maybe 75-100 lbs as well as my 240!)
                  > Oh yes, I pedal, but I try to NOT use the power assist all the way!
                  >
                  > Power ASSIST is the way to go!
                  >
                  > Mark
                  > --
                  > "I just like to blow things up!"
                  >
                  > Papa Balloon

                • Morgan
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 29, 2008
                    I sent you email offline, from morgan@...

                    Thanks
                    Morgan

                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, J Loesch <drjalod1@...> wrote:

                    > HI Morgan
                    >
                    > I am interested. I need more info and pricing. thanks
                    >
                    > John Loesch
                    > 708-917-5353 cell
                    > Villa Park, IL
                    >
                    > --
                  • Carl Mears
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 3, 2008
                      Hi

                      I'm lovin' those tires....

                      Does nayone know anything about the long-term reliability of the
                      Nuvinci?

                      -Carl
                      On Nov 26, 2008, at 9:08 PM, Morgan wrote:

                      Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls | Members | Calendar

                      ride to believe.
                      Moderator Central
                      Join and receive
                      produce updates.
                      Yahoo! Groups
                      Find Green groups.
                      Find Green resources.
                      Dog Zone
                      Join a Group
                      all about dogs.
                      .

                    • Carl Ray
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 3, 2008
                        Carl to Carl : )

                        I am talking out of turn here - my guess that it is pretty robust because on their website they mention that the hub is adaptable to many other motorized applications. I am curious about the true reliability when you actually turn pedals for awhile. It seems really cool for sure. I love cool technology.

                        On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 4:05 PM, Carl Mears <mears@...> wrote:

                        Hi

                        I'm lovin' those tires....

                        Does nayone know anything about the long-term reliability of the
                        Nuvinci?

                        -Carl
                        On Nov 26, 2008, at 9:08 PM, Morgan wrote:

                        Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls | Members | Calendar

                        ride to believe.
                        Moderator Central
                        Join and receive
                        produce updates.
                        Yahoo! Groups
                        Find Green groups.
                        Find Green resources.
                        Dog Zone
                        Join a Group
                        all about dogs.
                        .

                        --
                        Carl

                        http://xtracycle.blogspot.com

                        "Our planes and automobiles have made it possible for us to go anywhere and see nothing, but our simpler, slower means of conveyance, our feet and our bicycles and wind-powered boats, still connect us to this earth that is not ours to master, but to treasure."

                        Kent Peterson
                        http://kentsbike.blogspot.com/

                      • Morgan
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 6, 2008
                          I'm lovin' those tires too - they roll and cushion better than I expected them to, but
                          also do well in the gravel and grass. So far, their only downside is their weight,
                          but on a bike like this, I can't really be much of a weight weenie (not with both
                          the Nuvinci rear hub, eZee front hub, LiFePO4 battery, Longtail kit, myself,
                          daughter, etc...)

                          I see nobody answered about the reliability of the Nuvinci. I have only been using it
                          for a few weeks so I cannot say from firsthand experience. However, in all my
                          reading on the 'net, it sounds like they are highly reliable - possibly even moreso than the
                          Rohloff (though they haven't been around as long, so getting good data on long
                          term is hard). There is at least one person running one with a stokemonkey, and it
                          has held up fine to the extra torque. And, they just feel very solidly built, reminding
                          me of other great products like Phil Wood hubs and Chris King headsets.
                          So, the tea leaves are positive for reliability, but, again, the proof of that won't
                          come until 10 years hence we can see how many are still running.

                          Morgan