The Big Dummy/Nuvinci/eZee build

  • Morgan
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 26, 2008
      Hey everyone,
      I finally completed my Big Dummy/Nuvinci/eZee build. Details and pictures are here:

      http://www.cycle9.com/blog/c9blog.php

      Warning, it is not for those averse to a bit of bling.

      The long and the short of it? The Big Dummy lives up to the hype. So does the Nuvinci. But
      pairing the Nuvinci with the eZee electric assist takes the whole thing to another level. The
      whole process of accelerating from a stop is now just one seamless motion - no rapid
      gearshifting or clunking - just a nice, constant turn on the Nuvinci shifter to keep it matching
      the bike speed, with almost no noise but the slight hum from the eZee. It is hard to
      describe, but it is really fun. It reminds me of my first time ever driving a Toyota Prius - it
      had similarities to driving other cars, but a very different/unique "feel". This bike is like that.
      In a good way.

      Morgan
    • Carl Ray
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 26, 2008
        Very sweet !  It's crazy good!  The load capabilities are off the hook.
        You have to stop doing this stuff to us - I got wild gear lust right now!
        : )
        Carl

        --
        Carl

        http://xtracycle.blogspot.com

        "Our planes and automobiles have made it possible for us to go anywhere and see nothing, but our simpler, slower means of conveyance, our feet and our bicycles and wind-powered boats, still connect us to this earth that is not ours to master, but to treasure."

        Kent Peterson
        http://kentsbike.blogspot.com/

      • Mark Garvey
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 27, 2008
          Very VERY nice Morgan

          On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 11:08 PM, Morgan <mcgurme@...> wrote:
[...]

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          --
          "I just like to blow things up!"

          Papa Balloon
        • Mighk Wilson
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 27, 2008
            In your blog you asked what to call the center bottom tube.  On tandems they're called the "boom" or "bottom" tube.

            Mighk

            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 27, 2008
              Carl & Mark,
              Thanks for the compliments!

              In some ways, I feel a bit strange about spending
              so much money on a bike. But, every time I feel that useless guilt creeping in,
              I remind myself that this is my daily transportation, and so it is far less expensive
              and resource intensive than a car.

              And the other guilt assuaging factor is that my goal is to show people what can be
              done with bikes. Many people are wowed by new things, flashy things, new
              technologies (I must admit, I am one of those, despite my goal not to be).. so, if I can
              show how far bike technology has come, that may get more people riding bikes.
              Plus, I like supporting folks like those at Fallbrook (the makers of Nuvinci) - if enough
              of these get sold, that will promote improvement in the technology. And, they are
              made in the USA (I'm still searching for a made-in-USA electric hub motor, maybe
              someday we'll produce one ourselves if nobody else does).

              This reminds me of an interesting observation about people and their perception
              of bike costs. We've had some customers come in, and we tell them a bike is over $1k,
              they freak out. They say, "I can buy a scooter for that price".

              Other people hear that number, and say, wow, that's not too bad,
              "I paid more than that for my road bike."

              I think the people who think a $1K bike is "expensive" are especially funny, when they
              drive to the store in a $30k or more car (if they arrive by less expensive means, then
              it not such quite an odd disconnect).

              I guess if one thinks of a bike as a "toy" (like
              many Americans still do), then > $1K seems like a lot. But if one thinks of a bike
              as transportation, then > $1K is not bad at all.

              We all still have a lot of educating to do ....

              Morgan

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Garvey" <lazybee45@...> wrote:

              > Very VERY nice Morgan

            • Jake Wilson
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 27, 2008
                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Morgan" <mcgurme@...> wrote:

                (I'm still searching for a made-in-USA electric hub motor, maybe
                > someday we'll produce one ourselves if nobody else does).

                ~~~Well, Bionix is made in north America, but you knew that. Perhaps
                you were thinking more along the lines of a domestic manufacturer
                producing an electric geared front hub motor?

                Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!

                Jake
                Reddick Fla.
              • Morgan
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 27, 2008
                  Hi Jake,
                  Indeed, you are correct about BionX. The BionX is a great system for someone who just
                  wants a "plug and play" electric bike conversion, and who doesn't have big hills to deal
                  with. People who fit those criteria that own a BionX are very happy with them.

                  But, on the other hand, the system is not at all modular - i.e., it is not trivial to upgrade
                  the battery or any other component, because they are all proprietary. And, the system is
                  not designed for high power situations, such as hauling a loaded cargo/SUB/long-tail up a
                  big hill. There are some folks who just want a simple, effortless electric setup, and the
                  BionX fits that bill. But it is not for the folks who want to tinker with it and "hot rod" it.

                  So, that was a long answer, but yes, I would very much like a nice, internally geared hub
                  motor made in the US (or, North America, at least).

                  Anyway, likewise, Happy Thanksgiving for those who celebrate it!

                  Morgan

                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Jake Wilson" <sh8knj8k@...> wrote:

                  > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Morgan" <mcgurme@> wrote:
                  >

                  > (I'm still searching for a made-in-USA electric hub motor, maybe
                  > > someday we'll produce one ourselves if nobody else does).
                  > >

                  > ~~~Well, Bionix is made in north America, but you knew that. Perhaps
                  > you were thinking more along the lines of a domestic manufacturer
                  > producing an electric geared front hub motor?
                  >

                  > Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!
                  >

                  > Jake
                  > Reddick Fla.

                • Mark Garvey
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 27, 2008
                    On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 9:58 AM, Morgan <mcgurme@...> wrote:
                    Carl & Mark,
                    Thanks for the compliments!

                    I guess if one thinks of a bike as a "toy" (like
                    many Americans still do), then > $1K seems like a lot.  But if one thinks of a bike
                    as transportation, then > $1K is not bad at all.

                    We all still have a lot of educating to do ....

                    Morgan

                    A couple of comments here.  1) I own and drive cars.  In fact, I JUST bought a NEW (to me) car, a 91 Ford VAN full size....but then it was $500!  I am keeping it from being recycled into junk, and I am using it to haul me in REALLY cold weather.

                    2)  I was looking at my expenses for this year.  From May to Thanks Giving, I spent about $50 on MY transportation.    people tell me that riding a motorcycle or bicycle most of the time is silly.....but then, I JUST had to spend about $800 to repair my Windstar!  Which is mostly used for My wife to get around with the grandchildren.  Sooooo, how is my $400 Xtracycle "expensive"?  Or even a $2000 BD setup?  I am perfectly content to ride my bicycle MOST of the time.  when I need to be fairly quick, I ride the little Honda (I just filled it up AGAIN after 3 weeks!  Cost me NEARLY $5!!!! Damn!  that 100+ mpg is just too much!)  when there is snow on the ground or it is BITTERLY cold (like below zero!) Uh......OK, car with a heater...yup, car...definitely...principals be damned!  I will drive when it is THAT cold!

                    But that BD is WONDERFUL!  I LOVE it.  the Nuvinci hub seems like a COOL set up!  I like it!  I am trying to save my pennies and get a centerstand (a Kickback)  but OUCH!  $140!??!?!??!  WOW!  they are surely proud of that sucker!  thems a lot of balloons!

                    mark

                    --
                    "I just like to blow things up!"

                    Papa Balloon
                  • Mark Garvey
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 27, 2008
                      On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 12:12 PM, Morgan <mcgurme@...> wrote:

                      Re: BionX
                      But it is not for the folks who want to tinker with it and "hot rod" it.

                      So, that was a long answer, but yes, I would very much like a nice, internally geared hub
                      motor made in the US (or, North America, at least).

                      Anyway, likewise, Happy Thanksgiving for those who celebrate it!

                      Morgan

                      Maybe we should Lobby Currie Tech to see if they will reintroduce the USPD!  I have one and I REALLY REALLY like it!  The battery is not up to the work always, but it works well and on MOST bikes!  It has proven RELIABLE as an anvil!  I have ridden it up hill and down, power and no power and it simply WORKS!  I can't think of anything that could work better!  I simply add power when I hit a hill, loaded, unloaded, no matter!  The Currie GOES!  Not fast particularly, but that isn't the POINT now is it?  It drags my fat butt up hills and with my cargo as well! (maybe 75-100 lbs as well as my 240!)  Oh yes, I pedal, but I try to NOT use the power assist all the way!

                      Power ASSIST is the way to go!

                      Mark
                      --
                      "I just like to blow things up!"

                      Papa Balloon
                    • Morgan
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 27, 2008
                        Hi Mark,
                        I had meant to blog about this before, but never got time to. About 3 months ago, a
                        visitor at our house accidentally backed her car into the side of ours. It was just a little
                        "fender bender" in which nobody was hurt. But, this little scrape up cost a total of over
                        $1800 in repair costs for our car alone (and her costs were similar), of which $500 was out
                        of our pocket directly, and the rest paid for in her insurance rates.

                        So, yes, I own and drive a car too (on occasion, especially to haul 3 kids around). But, I
                        also have come to see them as a nice luxury/convenience, rather than everyday
                        necessity....

                        Yes, those new centerstands are pricey, aren't they? I have one in mind, but it will come
                        later...

                        Morgan

                        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Garvey" <lazybee45@...> wrote:

                        > On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 9:58 AM, Morgan <mcgurme@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Carl & Mark,
                        > > Thanks for the compliments!
                        > >
                        > > I guess if one thinks of a bike as a "toy" (like
                        > > many Americans still do), then > $1K seems like a lot. But if one thinks
                        > > of a bike
                        > > as transportation, then > $1K is not bad at all.
                        > >
                        > > We all still have a lot of educating to do ....
                        > >
                        > > Morgan
                        > >

                        > A couple of comments here. 1) I own and drive cars. In fact, I JUST bought
                        > a NEW (to me) car, a 91 Ford VAN full size....but then it was $500! I am
                        > keeping it from being recycled into junk, and I am using it to haul me in
                        > REALLY cold weather.
                        >
                        > 2) I was looking at my expenses for this year. From May to Thanks Giving,
                        > I spent about $50 on MY transportation. people tell me that riding a
                        > motorcycle or bicycle most of the time is silly.....but then, I JUST had to
                        > spend about $800 to repair my Windstar! Which is mostly used for My wife to
                        > get around with the grandchildren. Sooooo, how is my $400 Xtracycle
                        > "expensive"? Or even a $2000 BD setup? I am perfectly content to ride my
                        > bicycle MOST of the time. when I need to be fairly quick, I ride the little
                        > Honda (I just filled it up AGAIN after 3 weeks! Cost me NEARLY $5!!!!
                        > Damn! that 100+ mpg is just too much!) when there is snow on the ground or
                        > it is BITTERLY cold (like below zero!) Uh......OK, car with a heater...yup,
                        > car...definitely...principals be damned! I will drive when it is THAT cold!
                        >
                        > But that BD is WONDERFUL! I LOVE it. the Nuvinci hub seems like a COOL set
                        > up! I like it! I am trying to save my pennies and get a centerstand (a
                        > Kickback) but OUCH! $140!??!?!??! WOW! they are surely proud of that
                        > sucker! thems a lot of balloons!
                        >
                        > mark
                        >

                        > --
                        > "I just like to blow things up!"
                        >
                        > Papa Balloon

                      • Morgan
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 28, 2008
                          Hey Mark,
                          I meant to respond to this. The Currie USPD was nice unit. I used one for
                          about 5 years (almost for 2 of those on my Xtracycle).

                          But, the modern hub motors are great because they are even
                          lower-maintenance, quieter, and easier to install on most bikes...

                          The one area where the USPD really outshone many hub motors was low end torque.
                          Once I put the BMC 600 watt motor upgrade on my Currie USPD, it was an incredible hill
                          climber, and fast, too. There are a few hub motors that come close, but they are a bit
                          pricier.

                          Writing this, I realized that my USPD unit is just sitting in my garage unused, and
                          that I should sell it. Right now, it is mounted to a 26" hand built wheel based on
                          a Sun Mammoth rim, with DT Swiss Alpine III spokes. It comes with a Crystalyte 35A
                          controller and throttle, and can run at 24-48V. If anyone has interest, just drop
                          me a line. If not, someday I'll get around to posting it on Craig's list.

                          Morgan

                          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Garvey" <lazybee45@...> wrote:

                          > On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 12:12 PM, Morgan <mcgurme@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > Re: BionX
                          >
                          > > But it is not for the folks who want to tinker with it and "hot rod" it.
                          > >

                          > > So, that was a long answer, but yes, I would very much like a nice,
                          > > internally geared hub
                          > > motor made in the US (or, North America, at least).
                          > >
                          > > Anyway, likewise, Happy Thanksgiving for those who celebrate it!
                          > >
                          > > Morgan
                          > >

                          > Maybe we should Lobby Currie Tech to see if they will reintroduce the USPD!
                          > I have one and I REALLY REALLY like it! The battery is not up to the work
                          > always, but it works well and on MOST bikes! It has proven RELIABLE as an
                          > anvil! I have ridden it up hill and down, power and no power and it simply
                          > WORKS! I can't think of anything that could work better! I simply add
                          > power when I hit a hill, loaded, unloaded, no matter! The Currie GOES! Not
                          > fast particularly, but that isn't the POINT now is it? It drags my fat butt
                          > up hills and with my cargo as well! (maybe 75-100 lbs as well as my 240!)
                          > Oh yes, I pedal, but I try to NOT use the power assist all the way!
                          >
                          > Power ASSIST is the way to go!
                          >
                          > Mark
                          > --
                          > "I just like to blow things up!"
                          >
                          > Papa Balloon

                        • J Loesch
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 28, 2008
                            HI Morgan

                            I am interested. I need more info and pricing. thanks

                            John Loesch
                            708-917-5353 cell
                            Villa Park, IL

                            I meant to respond to this. The Currie USPD was nice unit. I used one for
                            about 5 years (almost for 2 of those on my Xtracycle).

                            But, the modern hub motors are great because they are even
                            lower-maintenance, quieter, and easier to install on most bikes...

                            The one area where the USPD really outshone many hub motors was low end torque.
                            Once I put the BMC 600 watt motor upgrade on my Currie USPD, it was an incredible hill
                            climber, and fast, too. There are a few hub motors that come close, but they are a bit
                            pricier.

                            Writing this, I realized that my USPD unit is just sitting in my garage unused, and
                            that I should sell it. Right now, it is mounted to a 26" hand built wheel based on
                            a Sun Mammoth rim, with DT Swiss Alpine III spokes. It comes with a Crystalyte 35A
                            controller and throttle, and can run at 24-48V. If anyone has interest, just drop
                            me a line. If not, someday I'll get around to posting it on Craig's list.

                            Morgan

                            --- In rootsradicals@ yahoogroups. com, "Mark Garvey" <lazybee45@. ..> wrote:

                            > On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 12:12 PM, Morgan <mcgurme@... > wrote:
                            >
                            > Re: BionX
                            >
                            > > But it is not for the folks who want to tinker with it and "hot rod" it.
                            > >

                            > > So, that was a long answer, but yes, I would very much like a nice,
                            > > internally geared hub
                            > > motor made in the US (or, North America, at least).
                            > >
                            > > Anyway, likewise, Happy Thanksgiving for those who celebrate it!
                            > >
                            > > Morgan
                            > >

                            > Maybe we should Lobby Currie Tech to see if they will reintroduce the USPD!
                            > I have one and I REALLY REALLY like it! The battery is not up to the work
                            > always, but it works well and on MOST bikes! It has proven RELIABLE as an
                            > anvil! I have ridden it up hill and down, power and no power and it simply
                            > WORKS! I can't think of anything that could work better! I simply add
                            > power when I hit a hill, loaded, unloaded, no matter! The Currie GOES! Not
                            > fast particularly, but that isn't the POINT now is it? It drags my fat butt
                            > up hills and with my cargo as well! (maybe 75-100 lbs as well as my 240!)
                            > Oh yes, I pedal, but I try to NOT use the power assist all the way!
                            >
                            > Power ASSIST is the way to go!
                            >
                            > Mark
                            > --
                            > "I just like to blow things up!"
                            >
                            > Papa Balloon

                          • Morgan
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 29, 2008
                              I sent you email offline, from morgan@...

                              Thanks
                              Morgan

                              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, J Loesch <drjalod1@...> wrote:

                              > HI Morgan
                              >
                              > I am interested. I need more info and pricing. thanks
                              >
                              > John Loesch
                              > 708-917-5353 cell
                              > Villa Park, IL
                              >
                              > --
                            • Carl Mears
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 3, 2008
                                Hi

                                I'm lovin' those tires....

                                Does nayone know anything about the long-term reliability of the
                                Nuvinci?

                                -Carl
                                On Nov 26, 2008, at 9:08 PM, Morgan wrote:

                                Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls | Members | Calendar

                                ride to believe.
                                Moderator Central
                                Join and receive
                                produce updates.
                                Yahoo! Groups
                                Find Green groups.
                                Find Green resources.
                                Dog Zone
                                Join a Group
                                all about dogs.
                                .

                              • Carl Ray

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 6, 2008
                                    I'm lovin' those tires too - they roll and cushion better than I expected them to, but
                                    also do well in the gravel and grass. So far, their only downside is their weight,
                                    but on a bike like this, I can't really be much of a weight weenie (not with both
                                    the Nuvinci rear hub, eZee front hub, LiFePO4 battery, Longtail kit, myself,
                                    daughter, etc...)

                                    I see nobody answered about the reliability of the Nuvinci. I have only been using it
                                    for a few weeks so I cannot say from firsthand experience. However, in all my
                                    reading on the 'net, it sounds like they are highly reliable - possibly even moreso than the
                                    Rohloff (though they haven't been around as long, so getting good data on long
                                    term is hard). There is at least one person running one with a stokemonkey, and it
                                    has held up fine to the extra torque. And, they just feel very solidly built, reminding
                                    me of other great products like Phil Wood hubs and Chris King headsets.
                                    So, the tea leaves are positive for reliability, but, again, the proof of that won't
                                    come until 10 years hence we can see how many are still running.

                                    Morgan