wide loaders(?)

  • Devian Gilbert
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 27, 2006
      Uhhh....

      so i dig the wideloaders, longloader, etc....
      and it dawns on me...
      how about if they folded up when not in use?
      al la lawn chair style...

      one of the issues i have is getting thru my gate
      lol
      ya...everytime i have to use wide loaders, i have to pickup the whole rig to get out my gate
      :-)
      when i get home, and its loaded with a bunch of stuff....
      i have to unload it
      pick up the rig
      and shuffle all my junk to my place.
      its pretty funny actually
      cuz, the Xtra is this super cool rig
      and even when its empty i have to remember to give extra width when riding
      lane splitting in traffic i have to give extra thought to
      if the wide loaders folded up...
      would it be that much better?

      peace..........d

      http://www.mac.com/asanacycles

    • Jeff Youngstrom
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 27, 2006
        It's certainly a thought. I can't be the only one who's crashed from misjudging my line between some of those stupid bollards they use to block cars from driving on trails. Bent my wide loader and sent me a** over teakettle. If I'd had it loaded I would have been conscious of it.

        Course folding won't help you get through your gate when you're loaded. I don't put mine on unless I'm hauling. Sometimes I stash the wide/long loader (they're permanently joined now that the wideloader's bent ;-) in the freeloaders just in case I run across something big that has to follow me home, but mostly I just leave them home now.

        I found that spritzing some chain lube in the mounting tubes makes them go on and off a lot easier. Seems obvious, I know, but it was a while before I thought of it so maybe someone out there is as dim as me.

        j.

        On 12/27/06, Devian Gilbert <asanacycles@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Kipchoge Spencer
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 28, 2006
          We invented a solution for you about 7 years ago. It's called the X-wing. Now, if only we could get out of prototype faze (daze?)!

          Soon, soon.
          --
          Kipchoge Spencer

          29085 Highway 49
          North San Juan CA 95960
          530/292-1401
          www.pleasantrevolution.net
        • Ian Hopper
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 29, 2006
            Kipchoge, are there any drawings of the X-wing? Can we see it?

            Ian Hopper
          • Susan
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 2, 2007
              I just make sure I take the thing off when I'm not loaded. I mean,
              when the bike's not loaded ;)

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Ian Hopper <nollij@...> wrote:

              > Kipchoge, are there any drawings of the X-wing? Can we see it?
              >
              > Ian Hopper

            • Kipchoge Spencer
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 5, 2007
                Hey ian,

                No drawings, just a couple of prototypes. They are essentially h-racks with machined aluminum hinge that only opens one way, to stop overextension.

                The thing that hasn't been adequately thought out is how to retain FreeLoader capacity when the WideLoader (w/ sliing) is folded up, simply.

                Happy new year to all.

                kipchoge

                --
                Kipchoge Spencer

                29085 Highway 49
                North San Juan CA 95960
                530/292-1401
                www.pleasantrevolution.net
              • Ben Rosenthal
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 5, 2007
                  Suppose you revised the design of the WideLoader sling to use quick-
                  release buckles at the two wrap points closes to the bike. Might it
                  then be quite simple to lift the sling when the H-rack is folded up?
                  In such case, could the sling even act as a detached rain flap?
                  Depends on whether the hinges produce a vertical fold or a beyond
                  vertical fold.

                  Also, how would the folding WideLoader lock in its folded position?
                  As I don't have a WideLoader of my own yet, I can only envision the
                  one pictured in your store in the positions I'm describing. Don't
                  worry; this is fun for me, but a challenge nonetheless.

                  Looking forward to hearing about your other ideas.

                  - Ben

                  On 5 Jan 2007, at 16:24, Kipchoge Spencer wrote:

                  > Hey ian,
                  >
                  > No drawings, just a couple of prototypes. They are essentially h-
                  > racks with machined aluminum hinge that only opens one way, to stop
                  > overextension.
                  >
                  > The thing that hasn't been adequately thought out is how to retain
                  > FreeLoader capacity when the WideLoader (w/ sliing) is folded up,
                  > simply.
                  >
                  > Happy new year to all.
                  >
                  > kipchoge
                • Devian Gilbert
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 5, 2007
                    Nice!

                    it was a no brainer, once i relized that they should fold up. the first thought was a lawn chair.
                    the hinges?
                    uhhh....
                    ya...it seems that they should be steel. something super strong. and actually i think a design that makes the wide loaders not exactly parallel to the ground.
                    this would give the wide loaders a bit of a upward angle which would
                    a. encourage the load(s) to slide to the center of the bike.
                    b. allow for more clearance when cornering.
                    c. allow for wear = bending. being that the "hinge" would be taking a lot of pressure and abuse, it would be inevetable that at some point the wide loaders would start to "droop" which would actually be the hinge starting to wear. so by having the hinge angle the wide loader a bit upward all these points would be addressed.

                    ride bikes

                    On Friday, January 05, 2007, at 01:33PM, "Kipchoge Spencer" <kipchoge@...> wrote:
                    >Hey ian,
                    >
                    >No drawings, just a couple of prototypes. They are essentially h-racks with
                    >machined aluminum hinge that only opens one way, to stop overextension.
                    >
                    >The thing that hasn't been adequately thought out is how to retain
                    >FreeLoader capacity when the WideLoader (w/ sliing) is folded up, simply.
                    >
                    >Happy new year to all.
                    >
                    >kipchoge
                    >
                    >--
                    >Kipchoge Spencer
                    >
                    >29085 Highway 49
                    >North San Juan CA 95960
                    >530/292-1401
                    >www.pleasantrevolution.net

                  • Phil Good-Elliott
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 7, 2007
                      So, how about some kind of "bolt" or internal shaft that would be "shot" into place one the
                      wings are folded down into cargo mode? This might (?) help with weight bearing and less
                      abuse to the hinge.

                      just some random thoughts,
                      Phil