Re: OT [rootsradicals] Re: Can't we do better?

  • David Eichelberger
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 21, 2008

      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Friday, November 21, 2008 11:24 PM
      Subject: Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Can't we do better?

      How old are these people who "have suffered immeasurable harm by the
      white ruling class"?
      I was trying very hard to keep my mouth shut on this one but I would argue that they are among you.  The "harm" is slowly getting better and better as the years go on.  But just to give you vivid picture of how recent this "immeasurable harm" really is.  My husbands great grandmother was the daughter of a slave, his grandparents were not allowed to finish school, his parents went to segregrated schools and served in a segregrated military, college was not an option for them, they struggled for most of their life to make a suitable home for there children and keep food on the table and it wasn't for lack of trying.  His mom and dad both often worked 80+ hours a week to get enough money to keep the family fed and a roof over their head.  My husband was the first in his family to ever graduate college and he did it with a lot of hard work and determination.  Have you ever watched the Tuskagee Airmen?  It is still true today if you are a man of color you better be a man of utmost integrity and character because you don't just have to be good, you have to be the best of the best of the best.  It still remains to be seen if Obama will be able to fill the immeasurable role that he has found himself in, all eyes are upon him and the question remains: Is he good enough to be the next Tuskagee Airman or will his name forever live in history as one of the great disgraces of the black community.  And finally if you have any doubt about the fight that is still being fought in regards to racial equality have a look at John McCains concession speech to a "black" man.  I could go on and on about this but I won't.  I will just say that I too hope that one day my "my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." (Martin Luther King).  For now this election only served to make it clear to me that we still live in a society that still sees color as a dominating factor of a persons character.  When our presidential nominee feels that the very first comment they should make and in fact the very central theme of there concession speech should be about the color of a mans skin, it's clear we have a long way to go before we reach "true" equality.

      Lorrea
      (mother to 4 beautiful multi-racial children and fellow bicycler)