Re: [rootsradicals] Bike camping with young ones?

  • todd fahrner
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 20, 2006
      On 12/19/06, Ilan Eyman <singletrack_stan@...> wrote:

      > We're going self-supported bike-camping in June. Going up the Coast
      > from San Francisco about 40-60 miles per day depending on where we can
      > camp and how strong I am going to be (I can do a hundred miles in 5.5
      > hours by myself, but will have at least 100 extra pounds of child plus
      > gear and bike on a trip like this so I don't know how it will relate
      > just yet). We have 2 weeks of vacation, so we'll plot out about 10
      > days of riding and then take the train home is my rough plan. Has
      > anyone here done a self-supported bike camping trip like this? with a
      > little one?

      I've toured the Portland-SF solo, and done short camping trips with my
      little son on the Xtracycle in the bay area. Both priceless
      experiences.

      As others have said, the kid can only sit there for so long: boring.
      Trailers let the kid nap in the shade, eat, play with toys, etc.,
      while a bike-mount seat doesn't.

      I'd reconsider riding north. Prevailing winds, often strong, are from
      the north. Also, while all of the coast is beautiful, the Oregon coast
      is especially so, and the bike facilities (campsites, frequency of
      food/water sources, etc) are considerably better than on the
      California side. So consider taking the train to Portland and riding
      home, or to Crescent City (the hills immediately south are killer; you
      don't want your kid to hear you bitch and moan right?). I think there
      are bus connections from Crescent.