Re: Driven to Despair a cool PBS Special

  • Rainbow Flight
    Message 1 of 45 , Nov 4, 2008
      Hi Emily
      I tried to reply to your personal email to me, but it bounced as your IP blocked it...so here's my responce:
      I am aware of Michael Pollan's work, and have explored a lot of similar ideas.
      As a Permaculture gardener/designer/assistant teacher, I know the very best knowledge/wisdom lies with the remnants of indigenous cultures, and Permaculture's attempts to revive that knowledge. That our local indigenous people (Maori) are very interested in Permaculture, is a joy! As David Holmgren says (as one of the co-orignators of Permaculture) "all we're trying to do is get people back in touch with that peasant groundedness, that 'common sense' about how to live sustainably in place", and pass it on to future generations of all life in good condition!
      Horses will be part of the future mix for transport systems, as will oxen as seen in the Peak Oil doco "The Power Of Community"
      http://www.powerofcommunity.org/cm/index.php .....and of course bicycles, especially Xtracycles!

      I passed on some articles to a friend (see the links below) and he completely freaked out. He's now really keen it get his garden really firing, make sure his bicycles are functional, and I'm working on him to get involved with our local Transition Town group...community is the only real "solution"...we'll have pull togeather to survive.

      Regards
      Ted
      Nelson, New Zealand

      http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601039&sid=a7AhRhE4NJlM&refer=home

      The Shipping News Suggests World Economy Is Toast: Mark Gilbert

      ---------------------------------------

      The end of deflationary trade

      Published Oct 29 2008 by Post Carbon Institute

      Nine percent

      by Richard Heinberg

      Published Aug 1 2008 by EWG Bulletin
      Archived Oct 30 2008