Re: [rootsradicals] KickBack: first thoughts

  • Rick Pickett
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 3, 2008
      Hey Vik and Everybody,

      Regarding Footsies & KickBack. we've thought about getting Footsies to
      work with the KickBack, but the axle cuff requires Footsies to be
      raised off their insertion tube a few millimeters to clear it. Then
      you run into the issue of having no support under the plank (big toe
      region) if you run the footsies w/o your KickBack. Personally, I
      don't see anyone regularly taking the KickBack off, so that might be a
      mute point anyhow. Either way, modify at your own risk/loss of
      warranty, yada yada yada.

      Regarding WideLoaders, we were planning on releasing a video of
      WideLoader installation, but decided that your questions need a visual
      explanation in addition to the text below. Watch the video online
      here: http://vimeo.com/2146082 . We're enjoying our first rains here
      in the Bay, hopefully your area is getting the weather it needs too.

      The first thing of note, if you try swapping out the axles (the black
      posts with the spring button that go into the FreeRad/Big Dummy) with
      WideLoader, you'll have a MUCH easier time with KickBack in the "ride/
      up" position. Either lean your bike against a stable object or have a
      friend hold it.

      Installing WideLoaders:

      1) Get KickBack into ride/up position and stabilize bicycle against a
      wall, or stable object. Make sure your XC is unloaded, you can do it
      loaded, but might make things more difficult.

      2) With KickBack up, depress the axle spring button and remove the
      axle. Only do one side at a time.

      3) Insert and depress the spring button on the WideLoader, inserting
      the forward post first into the axle bushing just inside the front
      bridge tube (depends on whether you're rockin' a FreeRad or a Big
      Dummy since the BD has a flush tube while the FreeRad has an angled
      tube face and will require a second depression of the spring button to
      enter the front bridge). You may need to maneuver the axle bushing to
      line up with the front bridge hole, this is why we suggest doing one
      side at a time since KickBack is being held up by the other side.

      4) Insert the rear tube of the WideLoader into the rear bridge, it may
      pop out if the front tube is not far enough in.

      5) Now you should be able to push in the middle and get both spring
      buttons to pop through their holes. Again, if you're using KickBack
      on a FreeRad, you will need to depress the spring button a second time
      to get it to insert in the front bridge. If you're experiencing a
      tough time, the tubes may be binding against the frame, to rectify, be
      sure you're inserting the tubes as evenly as possible. Attach the
      Velcro straps to your FreeRad/BD frame.

      6) If you need a WideLoader on the other side, just repeat steps 1—5.

      7) Store your axles in a safe location, we like to use our zippered
      pouch in our FreeLoaders since they're easily accessible when you want
      to remove your WideLoaders.

      Removing WideLoaders:

      1) Remove cargo on Xtracycle. Un-Velcro the two straps on the
      WideLoader sling (not doing this can lead to massive frustration!).

      2) Put KickBack into ride/up position and stabilize against wall or
      stable object.

      3) Working one side at a time, depress spring button on front bridge
      and pull out about 1". Depress rear spring button and pull out till
      clear of rear bridge. Sometimes the front may want to slide back in
      and snap into place. If this happens, deep breath and be sure to pull
      it out a bit further the next time.

      4) Once rear is clear of tube, let the rear of the WideLoader rotate
      down and slide out the front tube.

      5) Insert KickBack axle, spring button end first, with white marking
      line lined up with spring button hole on front bridge. Ensure spring
      button is fully engaged through hole.

      6) Repeat steps 1—5 for other side if needed.

      Cheers,
      Rick & Xtracycle
    • fblack947
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 19, 2008
        I just finished building up my Xtracycle on my old Schwinn Sierra
        (circa 1989).

        I really wish there were footsies that worked with the KickBack, as
        the KickBack is one of the best things about my setup!

        Couple of comments:
        - The black plastic clamps at the ends of the bungie cord don't
        work very well. I've already had one come off, and they don't go back
        on. (Tying another overhand knot fixes it, but you loose the easy
        handling that the black plastic piece provides).

        - The installation of wideloaders with the kickback isn't too bad.
        The previously provided video helps a lot.

        - The kickback axle nubs are no substitute for footsies.
      • Rick Pickett
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 19, 2008
          - The black plastic clamps at the ends of the bungie cord don't
          work very well. I've already had one come off, and they don't go back
          on. (Tying another overhand knot fixes it, but you loose the easy
          handling that the black plastic piece provides).

          Sorry about the issue you're having, fblack.  The snap teeth on those tabs are fairly small, but I was able to undo mine, trim my cord (wanted my spring clamp in a different position) and replace the tab.  Good call on the knot.

          - The installation of wideloaders with the kickback isn't too bad.
          The previously provided video helps a lot.

          Sweet, glad to hear.

          - The kickback axle nubs are no substitute for footsies.

          Hope you're trying to use the Axle Cuff, not the actual Axle for a footsie.  The gray part is larger, but yes, nothing will compare to the large platform of your Footsies.

          Cheers,
          Rick
        • Vik
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 19, 2008

            Rick,

            Is there a Footsie MK2 in the works or some easy on/off Footsie solution coming?  I’d like to get a KickBack, but I’m happy I have to choose between the Kickback and Footsies.  I don’t really want to spend $400 on an after market stand for the Big Dummy either, but it seems weird that a guy [Val Kleitz] can deign a centrestand that works on the BD and Free Rad without affecting the use of any of the Xtracycle accessories yet the centrestand from Xtracycle has compatibility issues with other accessories.

            I guess I just don’t understand the thinking that went into the Kickback design.

            Safe riding,

            Vik

            vikbanerjee@...

            www.vik-approved.com