Re: Driven to Despair a cool PBS Special

  • Emily Wigley
    Message 1 of 45 , Nov 3, 2008
      On Nov 3, 2008, at 1:08 AM, rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > >" if the vehicle is heavier than the load, i propose that it's
      > inefficient almost by definition."
      > "By definition then I'm pretty inefficient. My canoe and day
      > backpack is about 100 pounds..."
      This is such an interesting thread!

      My horses can be thought of as terribly inefficient! :-) Five of
      the equines in my stable work for their keep as school horses, so I
      usually think of them as business expenses/business partners, but
      thinking about them as vehicles is very interesting. They weigh
      between 750 and 1400 lbs., and they can carry approximately 20% of
      their own weight.

      Their fuel efficiency and waste production is really strange: 1000#
      horse requires 20# roughage (hay or good pasture)/day, and results in
      50# of waste (manure)/day. But the waste can be repurposed as we all
      know, so maybe it's not a bad equation. And the horse could feasibly
      work the land that grows its own food (hay field) and can be used for
      several hours/day for transportation.

      Emily
    • Rainbow Flight
      Message 45 of 45 , Nov 4, 2008
        Hi Emily
        I tried to reply to your personal email to me, but it bounced as your IP blocked it...so here's my responce:
        I am aware of Michael Pollan's work, and have explored a lot of similar ideas.
        As a Permaculture gardener/designer/assistant teacher, I know the very best knowledge/wisdom lies with the remnants of indigenous cultures, and Permaculture's attempts to revive that knowledge. That our local indigenous people (Maori) are very interested in Permaculture, is a joy! As David Holmgren says (as one of the co-orignators of Permaculture) "all we're trying to do is get people back in touch with that peasant groundedness, that 'common sense' about how to live sustainably in place", and pass it on to future generations of all life in good condition!
        Horses will be part of the future mix for transport systems, as will oxen as seen in the Peak Oil doco "The Power Of Community"
        http://www.powerofcommunity.org/cm/index.php .....and of course bicycles, especially Xtracycles!

        I passed on some articles to a friend (see the links below) and he completely freaked out. He's now really keen it get his garden really firing, make sure his bicycles are functional, and I'm working on him to get involved with our local Transition Town group...community is the only real "solution"...we'll have pull togeather to survive.

        Regards
        Ted
        Nelson, New Zealand

        http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601039&sid=a7AhRhE4NJlM&refer=home

        The Shipping News Suggests World Economy Is Toast: Mark Gilbert

        The end of deflationary trade

        Published Oct 29 2008 by Post Carbon Institute

        Nine percent

        by Richard Heinberg

        Published Aug 1 2008 by EWG Bulletin
        Archived Oct 30 2008