Re: KickBack: first thoughts

  • Phil Good-Elliott
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 3, 2008
      Vik,

      The KickBack and Footsies are incompatible, but the KickBack extends
      out from the FreeRadical and has axles that extend a bit further. See
      the photo at

      http://commutebybike.com/2008/09/30/interbike-exciting-new-xtracycle-options/

      This won't give you the "footprint" of footsies, but should be a place
      for "purchase" for any rider. My son rides the back of the X
      frequently and has had no complaints. I'll ask him today for an opinion.

      Swapping out Wideloaders and the KickBack axles could be interesting
      if done frequently. Rick might have more input there for you. I think
      it would be manageable.

      -Phil

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Vik <threeohm@...> wrote:

      > I'd like to get a KIckBack - I can see the functionality would be
      > beneficial, but my passengers really like the Footsies for a secure
      > place to put their feet. I don't want to have to choose, but I
      > understand they are not compatible. Any chance there will be some
      > mods for the Footsies so they can be used?
      >
      > I also understand installing/removing Wideloaders can be PITA. To
      > get my Big Dummy into my apartment I need to remove the Wideloaders
      > so taking them on and off regularly is normal for me. Can someone
      > with a KickBack and Wideloaders comment on the ease of use together.
      >
      > safe riding,
      >
      > Vik
      > vikbanerjee@...
      > www.vikram-banerjee.com
      > www.thelazyrando.com
      > www.viks-tikit.com
      > www.viks-bigdummy.com

    • conion1
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 3, 2008
        I agree with all your conclusions.

        I guess they give your and extra set of feet for a reason. The
        Loctite is a great idea alone with a some channel lock action. Maybe
        a magnetic cabinet latch could be integrated into the stop peg.

        I really like the stability it gives during all phases of my
        interaction with the bike.
        -2 kids loading on the bike without me holding it.
        -fixing front flat without placing the bike in a stand or on it's side.
        -general loading.

        I am real happy with this addition to the Xtracycle family.
      • Rick Pickett
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 3, 2008
          Hey Vik and Everybody,

          Regarding Footsies & KickBack. we've thought about getting Footsies to
          work with the KickBack, but the axle cuff requires Footsies to be
          raised off their insertion tube a few millimeters to clear it. Then
          you run into the issue of having no support under the plank (big toe
          region) if you run the footsies w/o your KickBack. Personally, I
          don't see anyone regularly taking the KickBack off, so that might be a
          mute point anyhow. Either way, modify at your own risk/loss of
          warranty, yada yada yada.

          Regarding WideLoaders, we were planning on releasing a video of
          WideLoader installation, but decided that your questions need a visual
          explanation in addition to the text below. Watch the video online
          here: http://vimeo.com/2146082 . We're enjoying our first rains here
          in the Bay, hopefully your area is getting the weather it needs too.

          The first thing of note, if you try swapping out the axles (the black
          posts with the spring button that go into the FreeRad/Big Dummy) with
          WideLoader, you'll have a MUCH easier time with KickBack in the "ride/
          up" position. Either lean your bike against a stable object or have a
          friend hold it.

          Installing WideLoaders:

          1) Get KickBack into ride/up position and stabilize bicycle against a
          wall, or stable object. Make sure your XC is unloaded, you can do it
          loaded, but might make things more difficult.

          2) With KickBack up, depress the axle spring button and remove the
          axle. Only do one side at a time.

          3) Insert and depress the spring button on the WideLoader, inserting
          the forward post first into the axle bushing just inside the front
          bridge tube (depends on whether you're rockin' a FreeRad or a Big
          Dummy since the BD has a flush tube while the FreeRad has an angled
          tube face and will require a second depression of the spring button to
          enter the front bridge). You may need to maneuver the axle bushing to
          line up with the front bridge hole, this is why we suggest doing one
          side at a time since KickBack is being held up by the other side.

          4) Insert the rear tube of the WideLoader into the rear bridge, it may
          pop out if the front tube is not far enough in.

          5) Now you should be able to push in the middle and get both spring
          buttons to pop through their holes. Again, if you're using KickBack
          on a FreeRad, you will need to depress the spring button a second time
          to get it to insert in the front bridge. If you're experiencing a
          tough time, the tubes may be binding against the frame, to rectify, be
          sure you're inserting the tubes as evenly as possible. Attach the
          Velcro straps to your FreeRad/BD frame.

          6) If you need a WideLoader on the other side, just repeat steps 1—5.

          7) Store your axles in a safe location, we like to use our zippered
          pouch in our FreeLoaders since they're easily accessible when you want
          to remove your WideLoaders.

          Removing WideLoaders:

          1) Remove cargo on Xtracycle. Un-Velcro the two straps on the
          WideLoader sling (not doing this can lead to massive frustration!).

          2) Put KickBack into ride/up position and stabilize against wall or
          stable object.

          3) Working one side at a time, depress spring button on front bridge
          and pull out about 1". Depress rear spring button and pull out till
          clear of rear bridge. Sometimes the front may want to slide back in
          and snap into place. If this happens, deep breath and be sure to pull
          it out a bit further the next time.

          4) Once rear is clear of tube, let the rear of the WideLoader rotate
          down and slide out the front tube.

          5) Insert KickBack axle, spring button end first, with white marking
          line lined up with spring button hole on front bridge. Ensure spring
          button is fully engaged through hole.

          6) Repeat steps 1—5 for other side if needed.

          Cheers,
          Rick & Xtracycle
        • fblack947
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 19, 2008
            I just finished building up my Xtracycle on my old Schwinn Sierra
            (circa 1989).

            I really wish there were footsies that worked with the KickBack, as
            the KickBack is one of the best things about my setup!

            Couple of comments:
            - The black plastic clamps at the ends of the bungie cord don't
            work very well. I've already had one come off, and they don't go back
            on. (Tying another overhand knot fixes it, but you loose the easy
            handling that the black plastic piece provides).

            - The installation of wideloaders with the kickback isn't too bad.
            The previously provided video helps a lot.

            - The kickback axle nubs are no substitute for footsies.
          • Rick Pickett
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 19, 2008
              - The black plastic clamps at the ends of the bungie cord don't
              work very well. I've already had one come off, and they don't go back
              on. (Tying another overhand knot fixes it, but you loose the easy
              handling that the black plastic piece provides).

              Sorry about the issue you're having, fblack.  The snap teeth on those tabs are fairly small, but I was able to undo mine, trim my cord (wanted my spring clamp in a different position) and replace the tab.  Good call on the knot.

              - The installation of wideloaders with the kickback isn't too bad.
              The previously provided video helps a lot.

              Sweet, glad to hear.

              - The kickback axle nubs are no substitute for footsies.

              Hope you're trying to use the Axle Cuff, not the actual Axle for a footsie.  The gray part is larger, but yes, nothing will compare to the large platform of your Footsies.

              Cheers,
              Rick
            • Vik
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 19, 2008

                Rick,

                Is there a Footsie MK2 in the works or some easy on/off Footsie solution coming?  I’d like to get a KickBack, but I’m happy I have to choose between the Kickback and Footsies.  I don’t really want to spend $400 on an after market stand for the Big Dummy either, but it seems weird that a guy [Val Kleitz] can deign a centrestand that works on the BD and Free Rad without affecting the use of any of the Xtracycle accessories yet the centrestand from Xtracycle has compatibility issues with other accessories.

                I guess I just don’t understand the thinking that went into the Kickback design.

                Safe riding,

                Vik

                vikbanerjee@...

                www.vik-approved.com