Re: [rootsradicals] KickBack: first thoughts

  • Vik
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 3, 2008
      I'd like to get a KIckBack - I can see the functionality would be beneficial, but my passengers really like the Footsies for a secure place to put their feet.  I don't want to have to choose, but I understand they are not compatible.  Any chance there will be some mods for the Footsies so they can be used?

      I also understand installing/removing Wideloaders can be PITA.  To get my Big Dummy into my apartment I need to remove the Wideloaders so taking them on and off regularly is normal for me. Can someone with a KickBack and Wideloaders comment on the ease of use together.

      safe riding,

      Vik
      www.vikram-banerjee.com
      www.thelazyrando.com
      www.viks-tikit.com
      www.viks-bigdummy.com

      On 1-Nov-08, at 1:12 PM, Phil GE wrote:

      I've had the new KickBack on my X for a few days. Here are a few
      thoughts about it.

      Pros

      1) It was easy to install

      2) It holds loads solidly. I just got back from the grocery store
      loaded with 80 to a 100 lbs of grocries (long story). No problems
      much more difficult with the Greenfield (?) kickstand.

      3) It looks sleek and blends in well.

      Cons

      1) feet and axle ends are plastic plugs with screw-on plastic knobs.
      The knobs were not really securable by hand - they rattled loose
      quickly. I used a channel lock wrench to lightly grasp them and torque
      them down snugly.

      2) Spring tension is fine, though the stand "bounces" up and down a
      bit over significant bumps in the road.

      Suggested fixes to the Cons

      1) a very thin, flat rubber washer would help secure the feet/ends in
      place without fear of over-torquing.

      2) Would be neat if there was a "latch" of sorts that could be added
      to the chainstay and "catch" the left side leg just enough to keep the
      stand from "bouncing." I don't think spring tension alone will do the
      trick. The latch/catch could be an inverted plastic U shaped fitting
      with low profile nubs on the inside of the legs of the U (internal
      serifs??). A bolt could pass through the legs of the U and, with a
      bushing to protect against scratches, secure the U in place.

      These are simply brainstorms and would need much more refining - I
      have no illusions about convenient quick-fixes to #2.

      Conclusion

      It's worth it. I can feel pretty confident that my X won't fall over
      as I load and unload as long as I'm not being very foolish. I'd
      strongly recommend this to anyone with an X or a Big Dummy.

      -Phil

    • Phil Good-Elliott
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 3, 2008
        Vik,

        The KickBack and Footsies are incompatible, but the KickBack extends
        out from the FreeRadical and has axles that extend a bit further. See
        the photo at

        http://commutebybike.com/2008/09/30/interbike-exciting-new-xtracycle-options/

        This won't give you the "footprint" of footsies, but should be a place
        for "purchase" for any rider. My son rides the back of the X
        frequently and has had no complaints. I'll ask him today for an opinion.

        Swapping out Wideloaders and the KickBack axles could be interesting
        if done frequently. Rick might have more input there for you. I think
        it would be manageable.

        -Phil

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Vik <threeohm@...> wrote:

        > I'd like to get a KIckBack - I can see the functionality would be
        > beneficial, but my passengers really like the Footsies for a secure
        > place to put their feet. I don't want to have to choose, but I
        > understand they are not compatible. Any chance there will be some
        > mods for the Footsies so they can be used?
        >
        > I also understand installing/removing Wideloaders can be PITA. To
        > get my Big Dummy into my apartment I need to remove the Wideloaders
        > so taking them on and off regularly is normal for me. Can someone
        > with a KickBack and Wideloaders comment on the ease of use together.
        >
        > safe riding,
        >
        > Vik
        > vikbanerjee@...
        > www.vikram-banerjee.com
        > www.thelazyrando.com
        > www.viks-tikit.com
        > www.viks-bigdummy.com

      • conion1
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 3, 2008
          I agree with all your conclusions.

          I guess they give your and extra set of feet for a reason. The
          Loctite is a great idea alone with a some channel lock action. Maybe
          a magnetic cabinet latch could be integrated into the stop peg.

          I really like the stability it gives during all phases of my
          interaction with the bike.
          -2 kids loading on the bike without me holding it.
          -fixing front flat without placing the bike in a stand or on it's side.
          -general loading.

          I am real happy with this addition to the Xtracycle family.
        • Rick Pickett
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 3, 2008
            Hey Vik and Everybody,

            Regarding Footsies & KickBack. we've thought about getting Footsies to
            work with the KickBack, but the axle cuff requires Footsies to be
            raised off their insertion tube a few millimeters to clear it. Then
            you run into the issue of having no support under the plank (big toe
            region) if you run the footsies w/o your KickBack. Personally, I
            don't see anyone regularly taking the KickBack off, so that might be a
            mute point anyhow. Either way, modify at your own risk/loss of
            warranty, yada yada yada.

            Regarding WideLoaders, we were planning on releasing a video of
            WideLoader installation, but decided that your questions need a visual
            explanation in addition to the text below. Watch the video online
            here: http://vimeo.com/2146082 . We're enjoying our first rains here
            in the Bay, hopefully your area is getting the weather it needs too.

            The first thing of note, if you try swapping out the axles (the black
            posts with the spring button that go into the FreeRad/Big Dummy) with
            WideLoader, you'll have a MUCH easier time with KickBack in the "ride/
            up" position. Either lean your bike against a stable object or have a
            friend hold it.

            Installing WideLoaders:

            1) Get KickBack into ride/up position and stabilize bicycle against a
            wall, or stable object. Make sure your XC is unloaded, you can do it
            loaded, but might make things more difficult.

            2) With KickBack up, depress the axle spring button and remove the
            axle. Only do one side at a time.

            3) Insert and depress the spring button on the WideLoader, inserting
            the forward post first into the axle bushing just inside the front
            bridge tube (depends on whether you're rockin' a FreeRad or a Big
            Dummy since the BD has a flush tube while the FreeRad has an angled
            tube face and will require a second depression of the spring button to
            enter the front bridge). You may need to maneuver the axle bushing to
            line up with the front bridge hole, this is why we suggest doing one
            side at a time since KickBack is being held up by the other side.

            4) Insert the rear tube of the WideLoader into the rear bridge, it may
            pop out if the front tube is not far enough in.

            5) Now you should be able to push in the middle and get both spring
            buttons to pop through their holes. Again, if you're using KickBack
            on a FreeRad, you will need to depress the spring button a second time
            to get it to insert in the front bridge. If you're experiencing a
            tough time, the tubes may be binding against the frame, to rectify, be
            sure you're inserting the tubes as evenly as possible. Attach the
            Velcro straps to your FreeRad/BD frame.

            6) If you need a WideLoader on the other side, just repeat steps 1—5.

            7) Store your axles in a safe location, we like to use our zippered
            pouch in our FreeLoaders since they're easily accessible when you want
            to remove your WideLoaders.

            Removing WideLoaders:

            1) Remove cargo on Xtracycle. Un-Velcro the two straps on the
            WideLoader sling (not doing this can lead to massive frustration!).

            2) Put KickBack into ride/up position and stabilize against wall or
            stable object.

            3) Working one side at a time, depress spring button on front bridge
            and pull out about 1". Depress rear spring button and pull out till
            clear of rear bridge. Sometimes the front may want to slide back in
            and snap into place. If this happens, deep breath and be sure to pull
            it out a bit further the next time.

            4) Once rear is clear of tube, let the rear of the WideLoader rotate
            down and slide out the front tube.

            5) Insert KickBack axle, spring button end first, with white marking
            line lined up with spring button hole on front bridge. Ensure spring
            button is fully engaged through hole.

            6) Repeat steps 1—5 for other side if needed.

            Cheers,
            Rick & Xtracycle
          • fblack947
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 19, 2008
              I just finished building up my Xtracycle on my old Schwinn Sierra
              (circa 1989).

              I really wish there were footsies that worked with the KickBack, as
              the KickBack is one of the best things about my setup!

              Couple of comments:
              - The black plastic clamps at the ends of the bungie cord don't
              work very well. I've already had one come off, and they don't go back
              on. (Tying another overhand knot fixes it, but you loose the easy
              handling that the black plastic piece provides).

              - The installation of wideloaders with the kickback isn't too bad.
              The previously provided video helps a lot.

              - The kickback axle nubs are no substitute for footsies.
            • Rick Pickett
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 19, 2008
                - The black plastic clamps at the ends of the bungie cord don't
                work very well. I've already had one come off, and they don't go back
                on. (Tying another overhand knot fixes it, but you loose the easy
                handling that the black plastic piece provides).

                Sorry about the issue you're having, fblack.  The snap teeth on those tabs are fairly small, but I was able to undo mine, trim my cord (wanted my spring clamp in a different position) and replace the tab.  Good call on the knot.

                - The installation of wideloaders with the kickback isn't too bad.
                The previously provided video helps a lot.

                Sweet, glad to hear.

                - The kickback axle nubs are no substitute for footsies.

                Hope you're trying to use the Axle Cuff, not the actual Axle for a footsie.  The gray part is larger, but yes, nothing will compare to the large platform of your Footsies.

                Cheers,
                Rick
              • Vik
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 19, 2008

                  Rick,

                  Is there a Footsie MK2 in the works or some easy on/off Footsie solution coming?  I’d like to get a KickBack, but I’m happy I have to choose between the Kickback and Footsies.  I don’t really want to spend $400 on an after market stand for the Big Dummy either, but it seems weird that a guy [Val Kleitz] can deign a centrestand that works on the BD and Free Rad without affecting the use of any of the Xtracycle accessories yet the centrestand from Xtracycle has compatibility issues with other accessories.

                  I guess I just don’t understand the thinking that went into the Kickback design.

                  Safe riding,

                  Vik

                  vikbanerjee@...

                  www.vik-approved.com