Re: KickBack: first thoughts

  • Phil Good-Elliott
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 3, 2008
      Thanks, Rick.

      I'm glad to hear folks are already working on a solid plug for the
      KickBack feet and axles. I like the idea of a magnet, though I'm not
      sure what magnet will withstand the "snap" of the stand being pulled
      up. Upon further exam, I don't think my clip idea is practical,
      either. Some kind of interface at the kickstand plate and KickBack
      "stop" tube (name?) may be most helpful. The simpler the mechanism,
      the better.

      To clarify, the bounce is still noticeable on my X with the spring
      cord knotted on both ends and the Cateye clamp secured way back on the
      chainstay. I'm sure someone will find a simple way solution soon.

      -Phil

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Rick Pickett <rick.pickett@...>
      wrote:

      > Great feedback, Phil.
      >
      > First, we'll be releasing a Wiki page complete with all current, and
      > future, Xtracycle products and bicycles. We'll post that URL once we
      > get it fleshed out and hopefully these exact pro/cons/suggestion
      > information can start to be stored there for future, and current,
      > users to glean information from.
      >
      > Regarding "le KickBack":
      >
      > > 1) It was easy to install
      >

      > Glad to hear!
      >
      > > 2) It holds loads solidly. I just got back from the grocery store
      > > loaded with 80 to a 100 lbs of grocries (long story). No problems
      > > much more difficult with the Greenfield (?) kickstand.
      >
      > I've love the KickBack's usefulness and ease of engagement. Also used
      > it to stand on my BD to snap some photos of a derelict building sign
      > (7UP, hand-painted). I'd recommend someone still stabilizing the bike
      > for you, but it got the job done. It's also great to use it on BART
      > instead of holding the bike up, but be warned, if you don't have
      > enough leg angle when engaged and the front wheel is facing the back
      > of the train, acceleration could cause the bike to lurch forward,
      > disengaging the stand. So, stay by your bike on the BART.
      >
      > > 3) It looks sleek and blends in well.
      >
      > I like the Ride/Relax stickers the most, IMHO.
      >
      > > Cons
      > >
      > > 1) feet and axle ends are plastic plugs with screw-on plastic knobs.
      > > The knobs were not really securable by hand - they rattled loose
      > > quickly. I used a channel lock wrench to lightly grasp them and torque
      > > them down snugly.
      >
      > Good call on the channel lock. I put some threadlock on mine (and the
      > ones on the axle too) and that has held them in place. We're going to
      > be putting some solid feet in the next design round to address this
      > issue.
      >
      > > 2) Spring tension is fine, though the stand "bounces" up and down a
      > > bit over significant bumps in the road.
      >
      > We suggest moving the Cateye clamp attachment back further on the
      > stay. If that doesn't hold the stand with more tension, then add one
      > knot at a time to the static cord. If you're still experiencing
      > bounce, then definitely look into a clamp like you mentioned. We
      > added the extra Allen bolt on the drive-side of the Chromoly body for
      > a future release/engagement lever, that might be useful somehow. I
      > was personally thinking about some form of magnet that bolts through
      > the kickstand plate and one that plugs into the stopper on the body.
      > If anyone produces one of these before I do, please share some photos.
      >
      > > It's worth it. I can feel pretty confident that my X won't fall over
      > > as I load and unload as long as I'm not being very foolish. I'd
      > > strongly recommend this to anyone with an X or a Big Dummy.
      >
      > For the price and assurance that it'll work with your Xtracycle, I
      > second the conclusion, but then again, I'm biased. :)
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Rick
    • Vik
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 3, 2008
        I'd like to get a KIckBack - I can see the functionality would be beneficial, but my passengers really like the Footsies for a secure place to put their feet.  I don't want to have to choose, but I understand they are not compatible.  Any chance there will be some mods for the Footsies so they can be used?

        I also understand installing/removing Wideloaders can be PITA.  To get my Big Dummy into my apartment I need to remove the Wideloaders so taking them on and off regularly is normal for me. Can someone with a KickBack and Wideloaders comment on the ease of use together.

        safe riding,

        Vik
        www.vikram-banerjee.com
        www.thelazyrando.com
        www.viks-tikit.com
        www.viks-bigdummy.com

        On 1-Nov-08, at 1:12 PM, Phil GE wrote:

        I've had the new KickBack on my X for a few days. Here are a few
        thoughts about it.

        Pros

        1) It was easy to install

        2) It holds loads solidly. I just got back from the grocery store
        loaded with 80 to a 100 lbs of grocries (long story). No problems
        much more difficult with the Greenfield (?) kickstand.

        3) It looks sleek and blends in well.

        Cons

        1) feet and axle ends are plastic plugs with screw-on plastic knobs.
        The knobs were not really securable by hand - they rattled loose
        quickly. I used a channel lock wrench to lightly grasp them and torque
        them down snugly.

        2) Spring tension is fine, though the stand "bounces" up and down a
        bit over significant bumps in the road.

        Suggested fixes to the Cons

        1) a very thin, flat rubber washer would help secure the feet/ends in
        place without fear of over-torquing.

        2) Would be neat if there was a "latch" of sorts that could be added
        to the chainstay and "catch" the left side leg just enough to keep the
        stand from "bouncing." I don't think spring tension alone will do the
        trick. The latch/catch could be an inverted plastic U shaped fitting
        with low profile nubs on the inside of the legs of the U (internal
        serifs??). A bolt could pass through the legs of the U and, with a
        bushing to protect against scratches, secure the U in place.

        These are simply brainstorms and would need much more refining - I
        have no illusions about convenient quick-fixes to #2.

        Conclusion

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 3, 2008
          Vik,

          The KickBack and Footsies are incompatible, but the KickBack extends
          out from the FreeRadical and has axles that extend a bit further. See
          the photo at

          http://commutebybike.com/2008/09/30/interbike-exciting-new-xtracycle-options/

          This won't give you the "footprint" of footsies, but should be a place
          for "purchase" for any rider. My son rides the back of the X
          frequently and has had no complaints. I'll ask him today for an opinion.

          Swapping out Wideloaders and the KickBack axles could be interesting
          if done frequently. Rick might have more input there for you. I think
          it would be manageable.

          -Phil

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Vik <threeohm@...> wrote:

          > I'd like to get a KIckBack - I can see the functionality would be
          > beneficial, but my passengers really like the Footsies for a secure
          > place to put their feet. I don't want to have to choose, but I
          > understand they are not compatible. Any chance there will be some
          > mods for the Footsies so they can be used?
          >
          > I also understand installing/removing Wideloaders can be PITA. To
          > get my Big Dummy into my apartment I need to remove the Wideloaders
          > so taking them on and off regularly is normal for me. Can someone
          > with a KickBack and Wideloaders comment on the ease of use together.
          >
          > safe riding,
          >
          > Vik
          > vikbanerjee@...
          > www.vikram-banerjee.com
          > www.thelazyrando.com
          > www.viks-tikit.com
          > www.viks-bigdummy.com

        • conion1
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 3, 2008
            I agree with all your conclusions.

            I guess they give your and extra set of feet for a reason. The
            Loctite is a great idea alone with a some channel lock action. Maybe
            a magnetic cabinet latch could be integrated into the stop peg.

            I really like the stability it gives during all phases of my
            interaction with the bike.
            -2 kids loading on the bike without me holding it.
            -fixing front flat without placing the bike in a stand or on it's side.
            -general loading.

            I am real happy with this addition to the Xtracycle family.
          • Rick Pickett
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 3, 2008
              Hey Vik and Everybody,

              Regarding Footsies & KickBack. we've thought about getting Footsies to
              work with the KickBack, but the axle cuff requires Footsies to be
              raised off their insertion tube a few millimeters to clear it. Then
              you run into the issue of having no support under the plank (big toe
              region) if you run the footsies w/o your KickBack. Personally, I
              don't see anyone regularly taking the KickBack off, so that might be a
              mute point anyhow. Either way, modify at your own risk/loss of
              warranty, yada yada yada.

              Regarding WideLoaders, we were planning on releasing a video of
              WideLoader installation, but decided that your questions need a visual
              explanation in addition to the text below. Watch the video online
              here: http://vimeo.com/2146082 . We're enjoying our first rains here
              in the Bay, hopefully your area is getting the weather it needs too.

              The first thing of note, if you try swapping out the axles (the black
              posts with the spring button that go into the FreeRad/Big Dummy) with
              WideLoader, you'll have a MUCH easier time with KickBack in the "ride/
              up" position. Either lean your bike against a stable object or have a
              friend hold it.

              Installing WideLoaders:

              1) Get KickBack into ride/up position and stabilize bicycle against a
              wall, or stable object. Make sure your XC is unloaded, you can do it
              loaded, but might make things more difficult.

              2) With KickBack up, depress the axle spring button and remove the
              axle. Only do one side at a time.

              3) Insert and depress the spring button on the WideLoader, inserting
              the forward post first into the axle bushing just inside the front
              bridge tube (depends on whether you're rockin' a FreeRad or a Big
              Dummy since the BD has a flush tube while the FreeRad has an angled
              tube face and will require a second depression of the spring button to
              enter the front bridge). You may need to maneuver the axle bushing to
              line up with the front bridge hole, this is why we suggest doing one
              side at a time since KickBack is being held up by the other side.

              4) Insert the rear tube of the WideLoader into the rear bridge, it may
              pop out if the front tube is not far enough in.

              5) Now you should be able to push in the middle and get both spring
              buttons to pop through their holes. Again, if you're using KickBack
              on a FreeRad, you will need to depress the spring button a second time
              to get it to insert in the front bridge. If you're experiencing a
              tough time, the tubes may be binding against the frame, to rectify, be
              sure you're inserting the tubes as evenly as possible. Attach the
              Velcro straps to your FreeRad/BD frame.

              6) If you need a WideLoader on the other side, just repeat steps 1—5.

              7) Store your axles in a safe location, we like to use our zippered
              pouch in our FreeLoaders since they're easily accessible when you want
              to remove your WideLoaders.

              Removing WideLoaders:

              1) Remove cargo on Xtracycle. Un-Velcro the two straps on the
              WideLoader sling (not doing this can lead to massive frustration!).

              2) Put KickBack into ride/up position and stabilize against wall or
              stable object.

              3) Working one side at a time, depress spring button on front bridge
              and pull out about 1". Depress rear spring button and pull out till
              clear of rear bridge. Sometimes the front may want to slide back in
              and snap into place. If this happens, deep breath and be sure to pull
              it out a bit further the next time.

              4) Once rear is clear of tube, let the rear of the WideLoader rotate
              down and slide out the front tube.

              5) Insert KickBack axle, spring button end first, with white marking
              line lined up with spring button hole on front bridge. Ensure spring
              button is fully engaged through hole.

              6) Repeat steps 1—5 for other side if needed.

              Cheers,
              Rick & Xtracycle
            • fblack947
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 19, 2008
                I just finished building up my Xtracycle on my old Schwinn Sierra
                (circa 1989).

                I really wish there were footsies that worked with the KickBack, as
                the KickBack is one of the best things about my setup!

                Couple of comments:
                - The black plastic clamps at the ends of the bungie cord don't
                work very well. I've already had one come off, and they don't go back
                on. (Tying another overhand knot fixes it, but you loose the easy
                handling that the black plastic piece provides).

                - The installation of wideloaders with the kickback isn't too bad.
                The previously provided video helps a lot.

                - The kickback axle nubs are no substitute for footsies.
              • Rick Pickett
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 19, 2008
                  - The black plastic clamps at the ends of the bungie cord don't
                  work very well. I've already had one come off, and they don't go back
                  on. (Tying another overhand knot fixes it, but you loose the easy
                  handling that the black plastic piece provides).

                  Sorry about the issue you're having, fblack.  The snap teeth on those tabs are fairly small, but I was able to undo mine, trim my cord (wanted my spring clamp in a different position) and replace the tab.  Good call on the knot.

                  - The installation of wideloaders with the kickback isn't too bad.
                  The previously provided video helps a lot.

                  Sweet, glad to hear.

                  - The kickback axle nubs are no substitute for footsies.

                  Hope you're trying to use the Axle Cuff, not the actual Axle for a footsie.  The gray part is larger, but yes, nothing will compare to the large platform of your Footsies.

                  Cheers,
                  Rick
                • Vik
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 19, 2008

                    Rick,

                    Is there a Footsie MK2 in the works or some easy on/off Footsie solution coming?  I’d like to get a KickBack, but I’m happy I have to choose between the Kickback and Footsies.  I don’t really want to spend $400 on an after market stand for the Big Dummy either, but it seems weird that a guy [Val Kleitz] can deign a centrestand that works on the BD and Free Rad without affecting the use of any of the Xtracycle accessories yet the centrestand from Xtracycle has compatibility issues with other accessories.

                    I guess I just don’t understand the thinking that went into the Kickback design.

                    Safe riding,

                    Vik

                    vikbanerjee@...

                    www.vik-approved.com