Re: [rootsradicals] Wheel Light - Monkeylectric alternative

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
      I think most of them are derived from this one:

      http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6

      and if you want to add more colors, you add more kits in different
      colors:

      (DANGER: political content at link. Only fake Americans should click
      it)

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/aneel/sets/72157607901134665/

      David
    • Abigail vR
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
        I had to click, because I've only ever lived in Fake America. That's
        awesome!

        You guys are making me wish I ever rode my bike at night so I could
        have cool lights too. :)

        Abigail

        On Nov 1, 2008, at 8:10 PM, David Chase wrote:

        > I think most of them are derived from this one:
        >
        > http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6
        >
        > and if you want to add more colors, you add more kits in different
        > colors:
        >
        > (DANGER: political content at link. Only fake Americans should click
        > it)
        >
        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/aneel/sets/72157607901134665/
        >
        > David
      • Morgan
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2008
          Hey Tone & Everyone,

          I've searched a lot for decent spoke lights, I think they are fun, and
          that they also increase visibility.

          I tried something like the one you sent the link for, ordered two from
          eBay, and I found it to have several issues:
          1. Only could be seen from one side.
          2. It was heavy (though the one you sent a link for might be lighter,
          I do not know)
          3. It was bulky and a bit difficult to install
          4. It threw off wheel balance
          5. Batteries were a PITA to replace (pain in the you know what)
          6. One of them died after only about 1.5 months of use.

          Then, I moved onto the NiteIze spokelit. This is a very simple device
          that is just a single color. It is lightweight and appears to be
          durable. I used that for several months and was happy with it, but I
          wanted something flashier. It is great, however, if you just want a
          durable, low cost, spoke light maker.

          I got over the price tag, and moved onto the Mokeylectric light. Wow,
          this thing is so far superior to the other two, that we decided to
          carry them in our store. It is brighter, lighter weight, waterproof,
          programmable, multi color, produces light on both sides, and produces
          much better patterns. I have one on my bike now, and love it. It
          appears to be built to last, though I have only had about a month of
          testing on it so far.

          Based on these experiences, I would recommend the Spokelit if you are
          looking for an inexpensive but durable spoke light, and I would
          recommend the Monkeylectric light if you want one that produces fancy
          patterns. The "SpokePOV" lights look nice too, but you have to build
          them from a kit (and we are already too busy building circuit boards
          for batteries, so I haven't had time for that).

          Morgan