Wheel Light - Monkeylectric alternative

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
      Ever since someone brought up the Monkeylectric multi-colored
      and multi-patterned Persistence-Of-Vision (POV) wheel lights, I have
      been thinking of getting a pair. In case you do not know about them,
      here is a link:
      http://www.monkeylectric.com/m132s_gallery.htm
      I even put it on my X-mas list, and figured my wife might
      purchase them for me because she obviously wants me to be as visible and
      safe as possible while riding at night, etc.
      Well, just recently my wife pointed out this other POV
      multi-pattern wheel light to me:
      http://www.ltdcommodities.com/home/catalog/cat_item_pg.asp?G=600&P=92&Re
      c=1&Ntt=443128&N=37&Nao=0&R=443128-4DMX---1

      The immediate obvious MAJOR difference is price. The Bike Spoke
      LED Design Maker is only $7 while Monkeylectric is $65! That is almost
      ten times more in price difference. Another difference is the LED Design
      Maker seems to give off only one color of light, whereas the
      Monkeylectric has numerous color options. It is hard to tell from the
      photos of the LED Design Maker, but they also seem much lower in light
      intensity than the Monkeylectric.
      The LED Design Maker site says it has 36 design patterns, five
      word phrase options, a wheel rotation count display, and a clock
      display. I guess as long as you are moving you will never have to worry
      about someone stopping you to ask for the time. :) On the other hand the
      Monkeylectric appears to be fairly user-customizable and boasts
      thousands of changing patterns and colors.
      The LED Design Maker does not mention if the lights are visible
      from multiple angles rather than just one or both sides. However, the
      Monkeylectric site does state the lights are visible from nearly 360
      degrees.

      Considering the LED Design Maker is relatively very cheap I
      think my wife will get me those for Xmas anyway. If she does, then I
      will be able to determine whether they are any good or not. I do find it
      hard to believe they would be of decent quality considering their very
      low price, especially when compared to the Monkeylectric. The LED Design
      maker site does state they are made from waterproof plastic, so at least
      there is some supposed level of weather protection.
      Anyway, I just thought I would point the LED Design Maker out as
      a cheaper alternative if anyone liked the idea of the Monkeylectric, but
      could not afford its higher price tag. Also, if anyone on this list
      already has any experience with the LED Design maker, then please share
      that with us.
      Thank you all and ride safe,
      _TONE_
    • Rick Pickett
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
        On the SF Critical Mass ride last night, one dude had a beautiful
        wheel with tons of images, at full color, resolution on his wheel.
        Didn't have time to stop and ask, but it was beeeeautiful. Definitely
        an eye-catcher.
      • Mark Garvey
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
          I got something like the LED image maker.  a little different, but similar.   It was about $12 I think though my grand daughter got it for me last Christmas.  It is kind of heavy, but it is very bright!  It shines on passing cars and things like bridge railings when I ride past at night. MUCH more durable and easy to use than the Schwinn lettering lights that I also got, for a much higher price!

          mark

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          --
          "I just like to blow things up!"

          Papa Balloon
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
            I think most of them are derived from this one:

            http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6

            and if you want to add more colors, you add more kits in different
            colors:

            (DANGER: political content at link. Only fake Americans should click
            it)

            http://www.flickr.com/photos/aneel/sets/72157607901134665/

            David
          • Abigail vR
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
              I had to click, because I've only ever lived in Fake America. That's
              awesome!

              You guys are making me wish I ever rode my bike at night so I could
              have cool lights too. :)

              Abigail

              On Nov 1, 2008, at 8:10 PM, David Chase wrote:

              > I think most of them are derived from this one:
              >
              > http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6
              >
              > and if you want to add more colors, you add more kits in different
              > colors:
              >
              > (DANGER: political content at link. Only fake Americans should click
              > it)
              >
              > http://www.flickr.com/photos/aneel/sets/72157607901134665/
              >
              > David
            • Morgan
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 2, 2008
                Hey Tone & Everyone,

                I've searched a lot for decent spoke lights, I think they are fun, and
                that they also increase visibility.

                I tried something like the one you sent the link for, ordered two from
                eBay, and I found it to have several issues:
                1. Only could be seen from one side.
                2. It was heavy (though the one you sent a link for might be lighter,
                I do not know)
                3. It was bulky and a bit difficult to install
                4. It threw off wheel balance
                5. Batteries were a PITA to replace (pain in the you know what)
                6. One of them died after only about 1.5 months of use.

                Then, I moved onto the NiteIze spokelit. This is a very simple device
                that is just a single color. It is lightweight and appears to be
                durable. I used that for several months and was happy with it, but I
                wanted something flashier. It is great, however, if you just want a
                durable, low cost, spoke light maker.

                I got over the price tag, and moved onto the Mokeylectric light. Wow,
                this thing is so far superior to the other two, that we decided to
                carry them in our store. It is brighter, lighter weight, waterproof,
                programmable, multi color, produces light on both sides, and produces
                much better patterns. I have one on my bike now, and love it. It
                appears to be built to last, though I have only had about a month of
                testing on it so far.

                Based on these experiences, I would recommend the Spokelit if you are
                looking for an inexpensive but durable spoke light, and I would
                recommend the Monkeylectric light if you want one that produces fancy
                patterns. The "SpokePOV" lights look nice too, but you have to build
                them from a kit (and we are already too busy building circuit boards
                for batteries, so I haven't had time for that).

                Morgan