Re: [rootsradicals] Xtra's on the City Bus

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 11, 2006
      > Hey, does anyone have any experience with placing their Xtra-equipped
      > bike on the bike racks found on the front of city busses? Does it work
      > or is the bike too long? Any tricks to make it work?
      No experience either, but I have stuck my xtracycle on the back of a
      Honda Civic, using some random mount point that happened to fit on some
      Saris (sp?) Bones. I recall that the tail end of the bike was up in the
      air, slightly outside the width of the Honda, so I rotated the tail
      light
      to face to the rear and turned it on.

      If you feel a need to make a point about the inadequacies of the racks,
      you might mention that parking spaces are made large enough for SUVs, so
      why shouldn't racks accommodate SUBs?

      David Chase
    • forschmiedt
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 11, 2006
        Check out the pictures section. There's a picture of Aaron loading his
        onto a bus here in Seattle. It looks like he has taken the front wheel
        off.
        FF

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Amos Patrick" <apatrick@...> wrote:

        > Hey, does anyone have any experience with placing their Xtra-equipped
        > bike on the bike racks found on the front of city busses? Does it work
        > or is the bike too long? Any tricks to make it work?
        >
        > -Amos

      • forschmiedt
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 11, 2006
          On second and third look at that photo, where the forks go is indeed a
          mystery.

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "forschmiedt" <ghorstf@...> wrote:

          > Check out the pictures section. There's a picture of Aaron loading his
          > onto a bus here in Seattle. It looks like he has taken the front wheel
          > off.
          > FF
          >
          > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Amos Patrick" <apatrick@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hey, does anyone have any experience with placing their Xtra-equipped
          > > bike on the bike racks found on the front of city busses? Does it work
          > > or is the bike too long? Any tricks to make it work?
          > >
          > > -Amos

        • Murray Neill
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 11, 2006
            It looks to me like the weight from the front of the bike goes on the
            cranks which are resting on the rack.

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "forschmiedt" <ghorstf@...> wrote:

            > On second and third look at that photo, where the forks go is indeed a
            > mystery.
          • Kipchoge Spencer
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 16, 2006
              The front weight indeed rests on the bottom bracket, and the front wheel retention bar goes over the top tube.

              I was touring in Hawaii once and we wanted to get on the 75-cent bus that goes all around Oahu. But they don't let you on with luggage. So we just kept our big drybags inside the FreeLoaders and loaded the whole bikes on front of the bus...

              --
              Kipchoge Spencer

              29085 Highway 49
              North San Juan CA 95960