Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Driven to Despair a cool PBS Special

    Message 1 of 45 , Oct 31, 2008
      On 2008-10-31, at 4:18 PM, davidmoskovitz wrote:

      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Mighk Wilson" <mwilson@...>
      > wrote:
      > > ...the key principle I
      > > think is single-purpose tools versus multi-purpose tools. Think of
      > all
      > > the single-purpose kitchen appliances that sit virtually unused in
      > > people's cupboards.
      > >
      > > I see an Xtracycle as a multi-purpose tool...
      >
      > Right-o! For something to be considered a solution these days, it has
      > to be a win-win. The robot, who is made of extracted metals, by
      > exploited workers, and shipped and powered by fossil fuel, is not
      > exactly win-win.

      I think you're getting this wrong. First, few of us ride bamboo bikes;
      metal is everywhere, and lots of it is recyclable. Second, there's no
      reason that the people who make the robot will be any different from the
      people who make our bikes. Third, the robot is almost certainly powered
      by electricity -- and even if that comes from fossil fuel, electric
      motors,
      used in intelligently designed vehicles (not gratuitously large) are
      very
      efficient, and we humans have a hard time beating them when you factor
      in the fuel impact of the food we eat (at minimum, we must avoid beef
      and
      pork).
      > Anyway, efficiency is only a good thing when you have a
      > scarcity. As far as I can tell, we have a lot of people without enough
      > to do, in addition to a lot of people with too much to do. It's not
      > rocket science...

      People are not necessarily cheap. I'd like to think that there is a
      better
      use for them than just providing the brute force to haul stuff around.

      David
    • Rainbow Flight
      Message 45 of 45 , Nov 4, 2008
        Hi Emily
        I tried to reply to your personal email to me, but it bounced as your IP blocked it...so here's my responce:
        I am aware of Michael Pollan's work, and have explored a lot of similar ideas.
        As a Permaculture gardener/designer/assistant teacher, I know the very best knowledge/wisdom lies with the remnants of indigenous cultures, and Permaculture's attempts to revive that knowledge. That our local indigenous people (Maori) are very interested in Permaculture, is a joy! As David Holmgren says (as one of the co-orignators of Permaculture) "all we're trying to do is get people back in touch with that peasant groundedness, that 'common sense' about how to live sustainably in place", and pass it on to future generations of all life in good condition!
        Horses will be part of the future mix for transport systems, as will oxen as seen in the Peak Oil doco "The Power Of Community"
        http://www.powerofcommunity.org/cm/index.php .....and of course bicycles, especially Xtracycles!

        I passed on some articles to a friend (see the links below) and he completely freaked out. He's now really keen it get his garden really firing, make sure his bicycles are functional, and I'm working on him to get involved with our local Transition Town group...community is the only real "solution"...we'll have pull togeather to survive.

        Regards
        Ted
        Nelson, New Zealand

        http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601039&sid=a7AhRhE4NJlM&refer=home

        The Shipping News Suggests World Economy Is Toast: Mark Gilbert

        The end of deflationary trade

        Published Oct 29 2008 by Post Carbon Institute

        Nine percent

        by Richard Heinberg

        Published Aug 1 2008 by EWG Bulletin
        Archived Oct 30 2008