Re: [rootsradicals] Xtra's on the City Bus

  • Ben Rosenthal
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 11, 2006
      As far as I've read, it's possible to attach an Xtracycle by first
      removing the front wheel, optionally stowing it in a Freeloader. You
      should check the archive of rootsradicals; someone a while back
      posted about getting permission for an extended testing session with
      a parked bus to figure out the best method.

      - Ben

      On 11 Dec 2006, at 9:53, Amos Patrick wrote:

      > Hey, does anyone have any experience with placing their Xtra-equipped
      > bike on the bike racks found on the front of city busses? Does it work
      > or is the bike too long? Any tricks to make it work?
      >
      > -Amos
    • Phillip Barron
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 11, 2006
        Does anyone have a picture of this actually working? I'd like to see it. I'm just not clear what the fork is resting (securely) on without the bike rack's clamp reaching over the wheel.

        Pictures, pictures...

        --
        Phillip Barron

        http://www.nicomachus.net
        pbarron@...
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 11, 2006
          > Hey, does anyone have any experience with placing their Xtra-equipped
          > bike on the bike racks found on the front of city busses? Does it work
          > or is the bike too long? Any tricks to make it work?
          No experience either, but I have stuck my xtracycle on the back of a
          Honda Civic, using some random mount point that happened to fit on some
          Saris (sp?) Bones. I recall that the tail end of the bike was up in the
          air, slightly outside the width of the Honda, so I rotated the tail
          light
          to face to the rear and turned it on.

          If you feel a need to make a point about the inadequacies of the racks,
          you might mention that parking spaces are made large enough for SUVs, so
          why shouldn't racks accommodate SUBs?

          David Chase
        • forschmiedt
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 11, 2006
            Check out the pictures section. There's a picture of Aaron loading his
            onto a bus here in Seattle. It looks like he has taken the front wheel
            off.
            FF

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Amos Patrick" <apatrick@...> wrote:

            > Hey, does anyone have any experience with placing their Xtra-equipped
            > bike on the bike racks found on the front of city busses? Does it work
            > or is the bike too long? Any tricks to make it work?
            >
            > -Amos

          • forschmiedt
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 11, 2006
              On second and third look at that photo, where the forks go is indeed a
              mystery.

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "forschmiedt" <ghorstf@...> wrote:

              > Check out the pictures section. There's a picture of Aaron loading his
              > onto a bus here in Seattle. It looks like he has taken the front wheel
              > off.
              > FF
              >
              > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Amos Patrick" <apatrick@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hey, does anyone have any experience with placing their Xtra-equipped
              > > bike on the bike racks found on the front of city busses? Does it work
              > > or is the bike too long? Any tricks to make it work?
              > >
              > > -Amos

            • Murray Neill
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 11, 2006
                It looks to me like the weight from the front of the bike goes on the
                cranks which are resting on the rack.

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "forschmiedt" <ghorstf@...> wrote:

                > On second and third look at that photo, where the forks go is indeed a
                > mystery.
              • Kipchoge Spencer
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 16, 2006
                  The front weight indeed rests on the bottom bracket, and the front wheel retention bar goes over the top tube.

                  I was touring in Hawaii once and we wanted to get on the 75-cent bus that goes all around Oahu. But they don't let you on with luggage. So we just kept our big drybags inside the FreeLoaders and loaded the whole bikes on front of the bus...

                  --
                  Kipchoge Spencer

                  29085 Highway 49
                  North San Juan CA 95960