Xtra's on the City Bus

  • Amos Patrick
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 11, 2006
      Hey, does anyone have any experience with placing their Xtra-equipped
      bike on the bike racks found on the front of city busses? Does it work
      or is the bike too long? Any tricks to make it work?

      -Amos
    • Ben Rosenthal
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 11, 2006
        As far as I've read, it's possible to attach an Xtracycle by first
        removing the front wheel, optionally stowing it in a Freeloader. You
        should check the archive of rootsradicals; someone a while back
        posted about getting permission for an extended testing session with
        a parked bus to figure out the best method.

        - Ben

        On 11 Dec 2006, at 9:53, Amos Patrick wrote:

        > Hey, does anyone have any experience with placing their Xtra-equipped
        > bike on the bike racks found on the front of city busses? Does it work
        > or is the bike too long? Any tricks to make it work?
        >
        > -Amos
      • Phillip Barron
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 11, 2006
          Does anyone have a picture of this actually working? I'd like to see it. I'm just not clear what the fork is resting (securely) on without the bike rack's clamp reaching over the wheel.

          Pictures, pictures...

          --
          Phillip Barron

          http://www.nicomachus.net
          pbarron@...
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 11, 2006
            > Hey, does anyone have any experience with placing their Xtra-equipped
            > bike on the bike racks found on the front of city busses? Does it work
            > or is the bike too long? Any tricks to make it work?
            No experience either, but I have stuck my xtracycle on the back of a
            Honda Civic, using some random mount point that happened to fit on some
            Saris (sp?) Bones. I recall that the tail end of the bike was up in the
            air, slightly outside the width of the Honda, so I rotated the tail
            light
            to face to the rear and turned it on.

            If you feel a need to make a point about the inadequacies of the racks,
            you might mention that parking spaces are made large enough for SUVs, so
            why shouldn't racks accommodate SUBs?

            David Chase
          • forschmiedt
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 11, 2006
              Check out the pictures section. There's a picture of Aaron loading his
              onto a bus here in Seattle. It looks like he has taken the front wheel
              off.
              FF

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Amos Patrick" <apatrick@...> wrote:

              > Hey, does anyone have any experience with placing their Xtra-equipped
              > bike on the bike racks found on the front of city busses? Does it work
              > or is the bike too long? Any tricks to make it work?
              >
              > -Amos

            • forschmiedt
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 11, 2006
                On second and third look at that photo, where the forks go is indeed a
                mystery.

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "forschmiedt" <ghorstf@...> wrote:

                > Check out the pictures section. There's a picture of Aaron loading his
                > onto a bus here in Seattle. It looks like he has taken the front wheel
                > off.
                > FF
                >
                > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Amos Patrick" <apatrick@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hey, does anyone have any experience with placing their Xtra-equipped
                > > bike on the bike racks found on the front of city busses? Does it work
                > > or is the bike too long? Any tricks to make it work?
                > >
                > > -Amos

              • Murray Neill
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 11, 2006
                  It looks to me like the weight from the front of the bike goes on the
                  cranks which are resting on the rack.

                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "forschmiedt" <ghorstf@...> wrote:

                  > On second and third look at that photo, where the forks go is indeed a
                  > mystery.
                • Kipchoge Spencer
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 16, 2006
                    The front weight indeed rests on the bottom bracket, and the front wheel retention bar goes over the top tube.

                    I was touring in Hawaii once and we wanted to get on the 75-cent bus that goes all around Oahu. But they don't let you on with luggage. So we just kept our big drybags inside the FreeLoaders and loaded the whole bikes on front of the bus...

                    --
                    Kipchoge Spencer

                    29085 Highway 49
                    North San Juan CA 95960