Re: [rootsradicals] Driven to Despair a cool PBS Special

  • growingkidsmom@aol.com
    Message 1 of 45 , Oct 28, 2008
      Just because something is cheap doesn't mean that you "should" have it.  People need to start really examining there actions, this is what this article was really about.  Living responsibly on this planet.  I would much rather ride my bike up to the local grocery store than have a robot probably manufactured in a 3rd world country by people that are being exploited and taken advantage of because they aren't able to get a proper education to know that's what happening, there barely feeding there families if there feeding them at all while we continue to use, use, use, use.  When does it stop?  When do we realize that we have a responsibility to just say NO!  Shopping has become the universal drug of choice in America and the rest of the world is paying for our irresponsibility.

      Ok sorry, off my soapbox and back to my bike before I get too long winded.

      Lhall

      In a message dated 10/28/2008 7:24:51 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time, dr2chase@... writes:
      The robot delivery cart is going to be cheap, too. All the parts are
      getting cheaper at a good clip, and a store could provide it as a
      service.

    • Rainbow Flight
      Message 45 of 45 , Nov 4, 2008
        Hi Emily
        I tried to reply to your personal email to me, but it bounced as your IP blocked it...so here's my responce:
        I am aware of Michael Pollan's work, and have explored a lot of similar ideas.
        As a Permaculture gardener/designer/assistant teacher, I know the very best knowledge/wisdom lies with the remnants of indigenous cultures, and Permaculture's attempts to revive that knowledge. That our local indigenous people (Maori) are very interested in Permaculture, is a joy! As David Holmgren says (as one of the co-orignators of Permaculture) "all we're trying to do is get people back in touch with that peasant groundedness, that 'common sense' about how to live sustainably in place", and pass it on to future generations of all life in good condition!
        Horses will be part of the future mix for transport systems, as will oxen as seen in the Peak Oil doco "The Power Of Community"
        http://www.powerofcommunity.org/cm/index.php .....and of course bicycles, especially Xtracycles!

        I passed on some articles to a friend (see the links below) and he completely freaked out. He's now really keen it get his garden really firing, make sure his bicycles are functional, and I'm working on him to get involved with our local Transition Town group...community is the only real "solution"...we'll have pull togeather to survive.

        Regards
        Ted
        Nelson, New Zealand

        http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601039&sid=a7AhRhE4NJlM&refer=home

        The Shipping News Suggests World Economy Is Toast: Mark Gilbert

        The end of deflationary trade

        Published Oct 29 2008 by Post Carbon Institute

        Nine percent

        by Richard Heinberg

        Published Aug 1 2008 by EWG Bulletin
        Archived Oct 30 2008