Re: [rootsradicals] Driven to Despair a cool PBS Special

    Message 1 of 45 , Oct 28 7:23 AM
      On 2008-10-28, at 9:53 AM, Jeff Snavely wrote:

      > How about we just pick it up yourself when you're out?
      >
      > I mean, who doesn't leave the house at least once a day anyway?

      I think the issue is, if you live way out in the burbs, then it's all
      out of the way. Certainly when I was a kid, the nearest grocery
      stores were 5 miles away, and those were not necessarily on the usual
      way to where we were going.

      It depends a bit on what you mean by burbs. Where my parents live, we
      started out with 5-miles-to-groceries, but not too much traffic. Then
      the grocery stores got a little closer, but the traffic got horrible
      -- nothing that you would want to send a kid out in, to consider
      Mighk's proposal (and I WAS a kid, riding a bike, and there were
      places I just could not get to, and I was hit a couple of times, too.
      I had to go well out of my way to avoid a 4-lane-no-crossings-55mph-
      highway.)

      The robot delivery cart is going to be cheap, too. All the parts are
      getting cheaper at a good clip, and a store could provide it as a
      service.

      David
    • Rainbow Flight
      Message 45 of 45 , Nov 4, 2008
        Hi Emily
        I tried to reply to your personal email to me, but it bounced as your IP blocked it...so here's my responce:
        I am aware of Michael Pollan's work, and have explored a lot of similar ideas.
        As a Permaculture gardener/designer/assistant teacher, I know the very best knowledge/wisdom lies with the remnants of indigenous cultures, and Permaculture's attempts to revive that knowledge. That our local indigenous people (Maori) are very interested in Permaculture, is a joy! As David Holmgren says (as one of the co-orignators of Permaculture) "all we're trying to do is get people back in touch with that peasant groundedness, that 'common sense' about how to live sustainably in place", and pass it on to future generations of all life in good condition!
        Horses will be part of the future mix for transport systems, as will oxen as seen in the Peak Oil doco "The Power Of Community"
        http://www.powerofcommunity.org/cm/index.php .....and of course bicycles, especially Xtracycles!

        I passed on some articles to a friend (see the links below) and he completely freaked out. He's now really keen it get his garden really firing, make sure his bicycles are functional, and I'm working on him to get involved with our local Transition Town group...community is the only real "solution"...we'll have pull togeather to survive.

        Regards
        Ted
        Nelson, New Zealand

        http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601039&sid=a7AhRhE4NJlM&refer=home

        The Shipping News Suggests World Economy Is Toast: Mark Gilbert

        The end of deflationary trade

        Published Oct 29 2008 by Post Carbon Institute

        Nine percent

        by Richard Heinberg

        Published Aug 1 2008 by EWG Bulletin
        Archived Oct 30 2008