Re: [rootsradicals] Surley Big Dummy

  • Devian Gilbert
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 8, 2006
      good points
      Surly has simply made a frame that accepts Xtracycle parts.
      there have been other "long tail" bikes made. I even had seen a Vanilla long tail.
      http://bikeportland.org/2006/10/04/vanilla-goes-long-with-new-xtracycle-frame/
      wow! imagine what that would run, IF you could order it.
      at $800 for the Big Dummy, and in the scope of the typical Surly
      the Pug being about $600 frame and fork.
      8bills for the Dummy is more than the other bikes.
      in my book, 8bills is still affordable
      especially with the fork, and in consideration for what is really is.

      i very much concur with the kids and starting them out to think of the bike as more than just a toy.

      ride bikes

      On Friday, December 08, 2006, at 01:59PM, "Bruce Alan Wilson" <bawilson@...> wrote:
      >My problem with the Surley is that it is so expensive. Surley makes good
      >bikes, but they are pricy. I wish that the Xtracycle people had
      >contracted with a less high-end manufacturer, one whose products would be
      >affordable for more people.
      >
      >I'd also like to see Xtracycle additions sized for kid's bikes. Not the
      >LITTLE kid's bikes, but the ones for older children, say 8-15. Get them
      >in the habit of thinking of a bicycle as a mode of transportation rather
      >than as a toy.

    • Sue
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 9, 2006
        I don't say much here since I joined but I think a kid sized xtracycle would be great. I would say ref the point of not wanting kids to ride other kids around...they do that anyway and in a very unsafe fashion up on handlebars and such. So if they are going to do it anyway might as well give them something a little bit more secure....just my opinion anyway.

        I have an xtracycle and love it, but if you want something practical for kids, an xtracycle is probably not the thing.  You don't want to encourage young kids to be carrying other kids around.

        The standard kids' bike in Japan comes with a basket on the front, a dynamo headlight, and mudguards.  You can't get much more practical than that.  Some inexpensive but reasonably good examples:

        http://item.rakuten.co.jp/kurohige/ctb266__szk/
        http://www.rakuten.co.jp/tamakosi/457629/670155/#664943

        On 09/12/06, Bruce Alan Wilson <bawilson@...> wrote:

        My problem with the Surley is that it is so expensive. Surley makes good
        bikes, but they are pricy. I wish that the Xtracycle people had
        contracted with a less high-end manufacturer, one whose products would be
        affordable for more people.

        I'd also like to see Xtracycle additions sized for kid's bikes. Not the
        LITTLE kid's bikes, but the ones for older children, say 8-15. Get them
        in the habit of thinking of a bicycle as a mode of transportation rather
        than as a toy.

      • Mark Pierce
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 10, 2006
          tell a kid not to stuff cayolas up his nose.........and what's he
          gonna do???

          markus parkus
          rogue cycle works

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Sue"