xtracycle kickstand

  • pystanis
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 14, 2008
      I was looking at the xtracycle web site and noticed the kickstand to
      be available at the end of the month.
      If they could have posted picture of it in use it would have been
      helpful. I am guessing that it can be used even if wide loaders are
      installed?

      I have just got my completed big dummy from my lbs open air bicycles
      in ventura, ca. After getting the bike home realized that my ultimate
      bike stand wont work with the big dummy due to the tube at the back of
      the rear wheel.
    • Vik
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 14, 2008
        If you are talking about the Xtracycle Centrestand note that it comes shipped with a cradle that fits the frame tube of the Freeradical. This item can be removed, but then you'll have all the weight of the bike and cargo resting on a small flat plate pressing up into the bottom of the oval frame tube on the Big Dummy.  My concern is that there will be a lot of pressure on a very small part of the Big Dummy's frame tube that will end up flattening it/damaging it.  The solution would be to get a cradle made that fits the BD's frame tube so the weight is supported by the whole cross-section of the tube.  I've not heard it that is something Xtracycle is considering or if that is something a BD owner will have to resolve on their own.

        Keep in mind this is not a confirmed problem just one that seems likely.  You may not have any issues.  I was keen on getting a centrestand, but I'm not interested in damaging my BD's frame and I'm hopeless at DIY projects so I'm going to wait and see what other BD owners think once they have these stands and put them into service.  Perhaps this concern will be unfounded?

        safe riding,

        Vik
        www.vikram-banerjee.com
        www.thelazyrando.com
        www.viks-tikit.com
        www.viks-bigdummy.com

      • Tone@moon-shine.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 14, 2008
          pystanis,

          I e-mailed with the folks at Xtracycle about this already and they
          told me their new KickBack will be able to work with whatever
          configuration of wide loaders people might have in place. In my case
          most of the time I like to just have one of two of my wide-loaders and
          long-haulers in place on the non-drive-chain side, but they told me
          the KickBack would work whatever way I had my rig set up.

          If you want to see it in use you should either do a search for
          KickBack photos from the recent InterBike convention or search through
          some of the messages many people posted the past couple of weeks
          regarding InterBike. There are definitely lots of links to a few
          photos of the KickBack in some of the InterBike reports.
          _TONE_
        • Phil Good-Elliott
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 14, 2008
            There's a photo in the Commute by Bike blog:

            http://commutebybike.com/2008/09/30/interbike-exciting-new-xtracycle-options/

            -Phil

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "pystanis" <pystanis@...> wrote:

            > I was looking at the xtracycle web site and noticed the kickstand to
            > be available at the end of the month.
            > If they could have posted picture of it in use it would have been
            > helpful. I am guessing that it can be used even if wide loaders are
            > installed?
            >
            > I have just got my completed big dummy from my lbs open air bicycles
            > in ventura, ca. After getting the bike home realized that my ultimate
            > bike stand wont work with the big dummy due to the tube at the back of
            > the rear wheel.

          • Ian Hoffman
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 14, 2008
              Just had to add a small-world sidenote...   Open Air bikes is a great shop.

              I moved from Ventura a couple years ago, that was often my preferred LBS. Though, having worked a few years previous at Ray's bike shop on the east side of town, I was often over there as well. That, and I lived nearby to it.

              Guess its nice to hear that Open Air is doing Big Dummy/Xtracycle stuff. No surprise either.

              -- Ian

              On 10/14/08, pystanis <pystanis@...> wrote:

              I have just got my completed big dummy from my lbs open air bicycles
              in ventura, ca. After getting the bike home realized that my ultimate
              bike stand wont work with the big dummy due to the tube at the back of
              the rear wheel.

              Moderator Central

              An online resource

              for moderators

              of Yahoo! Groups.

              Yahoo! Groups

              Real Food Group

              Share recipes

              and favorite meals.

              Check out the

              Y! Groups blog

              Stay up to speed

              on all things Groups!

              .

            • Sue Brown
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 14, 2008
                Hey Everybody,

                If you'll be in Portland on Thursday, 10/16, come on out to the Lucky
                Lab on SE Hawthorn at 9th around 5:30-ish for a fun time of longtail
                talk and beer!

                Sue
                http://xtrasue.com