Howdy from Chicago

  • stephan croisant
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2006
      Hey Roots Radicals!
      Ive been using my xtracycle for about two years here in Chicago.
      The perfect winter bike! Ive recently added the "down low glow" light
      system.
      It turns alot of heads which is alot better than feeling invisible at night!

      Lately, I've been using it for shopping and commuting. It works great!
      But when I get some extra cash I want design a crazy sound system for
      critical mass,entertaining the locals etc.

      Ive been really oogling the stokemonkey lately. Man,I want one of those!
      Does any body out there in Rootsradical land have any experience with them?

      I attached a picture of me and my xtra,not sure if I did it right?!?
      Im new to computers.
      How do I send a pic to a group?

      Anybody else have pictures of their machine?

      -steve in chicago
      signing out

    • TheJonesgal@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 5, 2006

        Howdy from Seattle (area),
        I too added the down low glow lights and love them. I feel safer riding home from work in the dark.
        Unfortunately, I've been a wimp in our very wet winter and haven't been riding much at all. I do most of my riding to work and home again when I'm not out for fun.
        Maybe if you all tell me how you handle the rain - what kind of gear you wear - and stuff like that, you'll spur me on!

        Thanks, Gerry

        PS the sun came out and I rode my bike today!
        It's not looking so good for the Sea Hawks! 3 minutes to go, not a pretty picture.
      • Susan
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 6, 2006
          I'm determined to recycle cans and win time trials until I've got
          enough for the BLENDER.
          Soon as we can find the batteries for the camera, I'll take a few
          shots :-) Somehow (for a change!) I got missed by the media at the
          Illini Chill, so Central Illinois didn't see the X with the skunk and
          walrus (stuffed) peeking out from the backsides on the 22-mile ride
          through the blustery prairie. The riders did, though... there might be
          a fourth and fifth and sixth X in Champoo-Banana before long..

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "stephan croisant"
          <scroisant@...> wrote:

          > Hey Roots Radicals!
          > Ive been using my xtracycle for about two years here in Chicago.
          > The perfect winter bike! Ive recently added the "down low glow" light
          > system.
          > It turns alot of heads which is alot better than feeling invisible
          at night!

          > Lately, I've been using it for shopping and commuting. It works
          great!
          > But when I get some extra cash I want design a crazy sound system for
          > critical mass,entertaining the locals etc.
          >
          > Ive been really oogling the stokemonkey lately. Man,I want one
          of those!
          > Does any body out there in Rootsradical land have any experience
          with them?

          > I attached a picture of me and my xtra,not sure if I did it right?!?
          > Im new to computers.
          > How do I send a pic to a group?
          >
          > Anybody else have pictures of their machine?
          >
          > -steve in chicago
          > signing out

        • Susan
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 7, 2006
            What sort of tripped me into the riding in the rain category was
            getting caught in it a time or two and realizing that, just like
            riding in the cold, it really wasn't miserable (like walking when
            you're cold and wet would be).
            I have a pair of expensive wicking tights from Champaign Surplus
            that really do pull water out, so if I've got those on under sweats
            the rain doesn't get through to the skin. Two layers and then two
            jackets means the same thing applies to the top layer.
            Visibility can be an issue - fortunately I had amber sunglasses the
            one time I got caught in a gullywasher, and it wasn't coming *at* me.
            Let's face it, if it might spawn a tornado, I shouldn't be out in it.
            THose pass in a few minutes, usually.
            So far I haven't ridden in a steady downpour except that once. (I
            haven't had to; the weather likes me. COuldn't be the geography
            causing storms to break up and go around Champaign-Urbana; must be me!)

          • TheJonesgal@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 7, 2006
              What kind of jackets do you wear or does it matter?

              The tights sound like a good idea too. I'll check on them.

              I bet the people in your area are grateful that you bike and keep the huge rains away. :)

            • Susan
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 7, 2006
                Basic windbreakers - I've got two that are lined and one or two that
                are just nylon, so usually I wear a lined one under an unlined one.
                One of 'em has lots of reflective stuff on the sleeves and it's bright
                yellow... I do rather like being visible.

                And basically any of the stuff people wear skiing works. (The
                snowmobiling suit I got when I rode a motorcycle doesn't, though -
                can't bend my knees enough.)

                They call me the 'weather goddess' :-)