Re: Surly Xtra-frame (Big Dummy)

  • Michael Lemberger
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 7, 2006
      The Surly longtail, code-named Big Dummy, is indeed likely to be in
      the $820 range for frame and fork. To quote their November 16 blog
      entry:
      -------
      Big Dummy frameset - available summer 2007
      A long frame built specifically to work with the accessories from
      Xtracycle. It's a cargo bike and it's going to be very cool. Lots of
      testing still needs to be done. Final price is TBD, but it will be in
      the $811.06 range for the frame and fork - Xtracycle bits are not
      included in that price

      <http://www.surlybikes.com/2006_11_01_blog_archive.html>
      -------
      It'll be interesting to see what happens to pricing if the dollar
      continues to tank.

      Tone wrote:

      >"However the rep also stated there are still a number of final
      issues being resolved in the geometry of the rear triangle or
      something to that effect. Apparently the long-tail frame revealed at
      the Las Vegas Interbike was just a proto-type as an example and the
      final geometry of the retail version most likely will be different."

      The bike in Vegas was a prototype. Not unusual for any frame. Form
      the Surly blog, October 6:
      ------
      It’s time to find weak points and any handling shortcomings before
      the next round of samples is produced. When the new samples arrive,
      we’ll collectively torture the framesets and make any final
      adjustments to the geometry, tube spec., and braze-ons before they go
      to production. That’s how this game generally works. We push our
      frames to their limits in the real world before they are available to
      you. Testing machines simply cannot duplicate all of the stresses
      that a bicycle frame will have to endure in a typical or not-so-
      typical day of riding.

      <http://www.surlybikes.com/2006_10_01_blog_archive.html>
      ------

      The guys at your shop may be skeptical about whether Surly will hit
      the Summer 2007 release date (I'm not sure where the June date came
      from), but history has shown that they know how the process works and
      tend to hit their dates. IIRC, they did so with both the LHT and the
      Pugsley, and the Pugsley is arguably at least as unconventional as a
      longtail. I guess we'll see, but I'm betting it'll be out this
      summer. Perhaps we could start a pool.

      Tone also wrote:

      > Basically I was not too thrilled about the news of a potential
      single-frame Xtracycle. :(

      I'm pretty darn thrilled, so I wonder, what are your misgivings?

      Michael Lemberger
      Madison, WI
    • John Speare
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 7, 2006
        On 12/7/06, Michael Lemberger <lemberger@...> wrote:
        > Tone also wrote:
        >
        > > Basically I was not too thrilled about the news of a potential
        > single-frame Xtracycle. :(
        >
        > I'm pretty darn thrilled, so I wonder, what are your misgivings?

        It's still not clear to me why an xtra-specific frame is a good thing?
        especially if it's $800+ for the frame/fork. what is the benefit of
        having a dedicated bike that can do nothing but hold the xtracycle,
        which in my mind has as one of the main benefits: it can transform
        just about any old mountain bike into a load hauling bike.

        so my question is: what is the benefit of the Big Dummy? Michael, what
        are you thrilled about, specifically? btw, I"m not trying to be snarky
        here, I'm really curious what folks get excited about with the Big
        Dummy.

        the one minor benefit I can think of: interface b/t the the xtra and
        the frame today can make some squeekes. you won't have that. but it's
        also fixable on today's xtra.

        am i missing something? did they fix the "can't use wide-loaders with
        the center stand" issue on the big dummy? That could be sort of
        compelling. but an aftermarket center stand is still better than both.

        --
        John Speare
        Spokane, WA USA
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 7, 2006
          if there is less frame flex
          ie:  the wiggle
          and if the frame has a longer front center
          the geometry is improved, etc
          the big dummy is definitely something i want.

          a while back i re positioned my free radical in my mtb frame
          that is...
          i placed it under the chainstay bridge as compare to placing atop.
          it brought the whole geometry of the bike back some.

          basically i have a hard time fine tuning the angles on my rig.
          the convert is a great setup, but there are for sure some things can can be improved upon.
          as a "kit" and what it allows a person to do,the Xtra is an awesome contribution to the world.

          From what i can see of the endeavor of Surly in the Big Dummy, its a shot at refining the subtle nuances that we all have come to find/or maybe not even know.

          peace.......d

          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 7, 2006
            On 12/7/06, Devian Gilbert <asanacycles@...> wrote:

            > if there is less frame flex
            > ie: the wiggle

            my guess is that you may find less flex if you used an aluminum/OS
            tubing mountain bike, than the steel (albeit OS and single-purposed)
            surly frame, but that's a guess. I'm running my xtra on an old steel
            Bridgestone MB2 mountain bike. I feel some flex when I carry a load
            and my child is sitting on the seat mounted on teh top tube, but I
            wouldn't want to ride the bike that didn't flex a bit under that load.

            > and if the frame has a longer front center
            > the geometry is improved, etc

            what does "longer front center" mean?

            Todd at cleverchimp has used 26" wheels on a Surly Karate Monkey to
            lower the trail into this stratosphere. Most mountain bikes have off
            the charts high trail...

            I seriously doubt the Big Dummy is going for a low (i.e. 40mm or
            under) trail, as the vast majority of riders would find that "twichy."
            especially with a big old load in the rear.

            > it brought the whole geometry of the bike back some.

            in what way? can you be more specific?

            > basically i have a hard time fine tuning the angles on my rig.
            > the convert is a great setup, but there are for sure some things can can be improved upon.

            what are the geometric improvements that the big dummy offers?

            > From what i can see of the endeavor of Surly in the Big Dummy, its a shot at refining the subtle nuances that we all have come to find/or maybe not even know.

            like what? I'm really interested in the subtle nuances and how they
            relate to actual frame/bike design in this case.

            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 7, 2006
              Michael,
              Let me clarify myself. I can see how someone might have
              misunderstood. When I said I was not too thrilled about the news I
              definitely did not mean about the upcoming Big Dummy frame. What I meant
              was I was not that happy to hear of both the increased price tag from
              the $600 I had heard earlier and the thought of a release date being
              even later than early summer.

              I am extremely excited about the potential Big Dummy. I work as
              a messenger in NYC and I have been totally wearing down my Xtracycle.
              Actually I should say Xtracycles because even though I have only one
              bike, for over three years it has always been equipped with an
              Xtracycle, but unfortunately the FreeRadical has needed replacing twice.
              It always starts to crack directly behind the rear drop-outs, which is
              the weakest point on the FreeRadical. Recently I also noticed a fresh
              crack starting on one side this year. I guess for me the amount of
              wear-and-tear of daily messenger work and my own personal loading seems
              to result in FreeRadicals only lasting me about a year.
              I am certainly looking forward to getting a Big Dummy. From the
              initial specs and design it seems there is geometry shaped to combat the
              stress put on the rear step area. Hopefully the same cracking behind the
              rear dropouts will not happen to the Big Dummy as a result. I just kind
              of wish I could be the ones Surly decides to send a test Dummy to, for
              me to seriously try to put it through hell and back. :)

              John,
              I can offer my own answer to your question about what is so
              great about a single-frame Xtracycle. Personally, once I set up my
              Xtracycle on my current bike... it never came off. The Xtracycle has
              simply been quite integrated into the way I live and work. I can not
              imagine living without one anymore. Obviously just getting an Xtracycle
              to hook up to a bike a person already has makes complete sense, but at
              some point when a person uses a bike as much as I do and also utilizes
              it much of the time in a cargo bike capacity it just makes sense to have
              a single-frame Xtracycle specifically designed for the task.
              Basically the way I see it is if I do have to get a new bike,
              there is no question what I will be getting. As it is, I have had my
              aluminum "phatt"-tube Univega 750-FS frame for about seven years with
              most of that time having it used as my only bike while working as a
              messenger day in and day out in all kinds of weather. Everyone I know,
              including workers/mechanics in the bikes shops I frequent, are
              continuously amazed at how long my frame has lasted, ESPECIALLY since I
              have had an Xtracycle on the end of it for over three years! One of
              these days my bike is going to seriously give. At that point I already
              know what I would replace my bike with.
              What it comes down to is if someone already has a trusted bike
              and wants to check out what it is like to have cargo bike options, then
              sure they should just get a FreeRadical extension. However if someone
              already is sure they want a cargo bike, particularly as a replacement to
              a previous Xtracycle-equipped bike, then in my opinion they should
              naturally decide to go with a single-frame cargo bike designed
              specifically for the task.
              At some point I have also considered investing in an additional
              lighter bike for over-seas touring or whatever due to ease of transport
              (possibly even a 20" wheeled folding bike), but I definitely would get a
              single-frame Xtracycle as my primary bike above all else first.

              Everyone,
              Does anyone know if the final Surly Big Dummy design will have
              vertical or horizontal drop outs? Obviously the FreeRadical has vertical
              drop outs, but Surly also sells a number of accessories for single-speed
              conversions and such.
              At the moment I have an Xtracycle set up as a single-speed
              freewheel using a Surly Singleator. I think it might be nice if Surly
              produced two versions of the eventual Big Dummy, one with horizontal
              drop-outs and one with vertical. It would be very nice to have the
              option to simply get rid of having to use a chain tensioning device,
              especially on such a long drive chain.
              Actually this past week I lost almost a full day of work because
              my Surly Singleator had a spring failure, which caused my chain to skip.
              It would be nice to not have to worry about yet another mechanism
              failing when riding around.

              _TONE_
            • John Speare
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 7, 2006
                On 12/7/06, Tone <Tone@...> wrote:

                > John,
                ... Obviously just getting an Xtracycle
                > to hook up to a bike a person already has makes complete sense, but at
                > some point when a person uses a bike as much as I do and also utilizes
                > it much of the time in a cargo bike capacity it just makes sense to have
                > a single-frame Xtracycle specifically designed for the task.

                ...> What it comes down to is if someone already has a trusted bike
                > and wants to check out what it is like to have cargo bike options, then
                > sure they should just get a FreeRadical extension. However if someone
                > already is sure they want a cargo bike, particularly as a replacement to
                > a previous Xtracycle-equipped bike, then in my opinion they should
                > naturally decide to go with a single-frame cargo bike designed
                > specifically for the task.

                What you say here is making some sense. Especially if you're using the
                bike as you are. I use my xtracycle agbout twice a week for groceries
                and in teh summer for camping trips with my 4 y.o. daughter. I can't
                imagine killing it like you've been killing yours.

                A couple thoughts come to mind though:
                -- sound like you are compensating for the design on the FreeRadical--
                given it's failure/fatigue at the dropouts. the FreeRadical is
                aluminum, no? If there were a steel/heavy duty version of the
                FreeRadical with cast/forge steel dropouts that weighed a bit more and
                cost a bit more, would you get that instead? Are there ot6her
                advantages to a single frame aside from working around the failures of
                the FreeRadical drop outs?
                -- you are the 5% that kills the FreeRadical. Americans tend to buy
                for the 5%. The SUV thing: "I may need that 4WD at some point, I
                better get the 4WD for that 5% of the time I may need it. I'll pay
                extra for the 95% of the time I don't need it and I'll pay a lot for
                that." The Big Dummy strikes me as a 5% case purchase for most. That's
                just my impression given the limited benefits it offers the 95%-case
                user.

                >At the moment I have an Xtracycle set up as a single-speed
                freewheel using a Surly Singleator. I think it might be nice if Surly
                produced two versions of the eventual Big Dummy, one with horizontal
                drop-outs and one with vertical.

                I'm sure you're aware of the white industries ENO hub. It is a fine
                (if not pricey) piece of hardware. For $165 you can care less what
                kind of dropouts are on a bike.

                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 7, 2006

                  John,

                              The FreeRadical frame is NOT Aluminum. It is steel. My bike frame, which I have had for several years, is aluminum. Perhaps that is why you are confused. Also, while the FreeRadical frame extension is steel, the accessory components Xtracycle sells for the FreeRadical are aluminum… like the wide-loaders, long-haulers, and tubing on the footsies, etc.

                              I THINK I know what you mean by the ENO hub, but I am not absolutely sure. If the ENO hub you are speaking of IS what I am thinking of, then your suggestion is irrelevant in my case. I happen to ride with front and rear five-spoke Aerospoke mag wheels (disc brake compatible hub version). I would not be able to retrofit an ENO hub with the Aerospoke wheels I use, and I am not willing to part with my Aerospokes! J I love Aerospoke wheels because they are strong, never need truing, I can more easily lock through them (and I lock through them A LOT since I am a messenger), and they just look GOOD. J I am only considering not using Aerospoke wheels if I get a second bike and I can hook the rear wheel up with a dynamo hub.

                  Everyone,

                              By the way does anyone happen to know of any company, which makes a rigid disc-brake compatible fork for use with 20” wheels?

                              Speaking of disc-brakes, I recall a message thread about the benefits of using mechanical versus hydraulic disc brakes. Now that I think of it I seem to remember no one mentioning the consideration to low temperatures. I remember one hydraulic disc-brake using cyclist, who told me his brakes froze, seized, or gave him resistance when the temperature dropped really low. I believe that is why when I made the decision to switch to disc brakes a couple of disc-brake using long-time messengers specifically told me to make sure I only got mechanical brakes.

                  _TONE_

                • Kevin Bradshaw
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 7, 2006
                    Yeah, thats sounds about right from what I read as well.  I was stoked when I saw the "Big Dummy" for the first time.  But then, what would I do with my MTB hardtail I've had for 10 years?  That's when I decided to order up the Free Rad Kit, it would be a shame for my favorite bike to rot away without use.

                  • Devian Gilbert
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 7, 2006
                      My convert of choice has been my 2000 Cdale F900.
                      i think the whole assembly just likes to wiggle.
                      most noticably is during climbs.

                      ride bikes

                      On Thursday, December 07, 2006, at 01:29PM, "John Speare" <johnspeare@...> wrote:
                      >On 12/7/06, Devian Gilbert <asanacycles@...> wrote:
                      >

                      >> if there is less frame flex
                      >> ie: the wiggle
                      >
                      >my guess is that you may find less flex if you used an aluminum/OS
                      >tubing mountain bike, than the steel (albeit OS and single-purposed)
                      >surly frame, but that's a guess. I'm running my xtra on an old steel
                      >Bridgestone MB2 mountain bike. I feel some flex when I carry a load
                      >and my child is sitting on the seat mounted on teh top tube, but I
                      >wouldn't want to ride the bike that didn't flex a bit under that load.
                      >

                      >> and if the frame has a longer front center
                      >> the geometry is improved, etc
                      >
                      >what does "longer front center" mean?
                      >
                      >Todd at cleverchimp has used 26" wheels on a Surly Karate Monkey to
                      >lower the trail into this stratosphere. Most mountain bikes have off
                      >the charts high trail...
                      >
                      >I seriously doubt the Big Dummy is going for a low (i.e. 40mm or
                      >under) trail, as the vast majority of riders would find that "twichy."
                      >especially with a big old load in the rear.
                      >
                      >> it brought the whole geometry of the bike back some.
                      >
                      >in what way? can you be more specific?
                      >

                      >> basically i have a hard time fine tuning the angles on my rig.
                      >> the convert is a great setup, but there are for sure some things can can be improved upon.
                      >
                      >what are the geometric improvements that the big dummy offers?
                      >

                      >> From what i can see of the endeavor of Surly in the Big Dummy, its a shot at refining the subtle nuances that we all have come to find/or maybe not even know.
                      >
                      >like what? I'm really interested in the subtle nuances and how they
                      >relate to actual frame/bike design in this case.
                      >

                      >--
                      >John Speare
                      >Spokane, WA USA
                      >http://cyclingspokane.blogspot.com/

                    • Cara Lin Bridgman
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 7, 2006
                        I'm not messenger biking, but the xtracycle is the only bike I have. I
                        guess I now think of ordinary bikes as belonging in the same category as
                        sports cars. Wherever I go, I'm hauling something, even if it is just
                        water bottles and rain gear. So, there's no point me keeping two bikes.
                        The xtracycle is certainly the most comfortable way to haul my book
                        and camera bags. I keep a dry bag in one of the freeloaders so my books
                        and cameras are protected from sudden rain.

                        So, someday I may be in the market for a Big Dummy. Guess I started
                        constructing a Surly instigator-freeradical a year too early.

                        Tone,
                        If the Surly folks aren't reading this forum, they should. Whether they
                        are or not, I suggest you email them a version of your letter below to
                        let them know that if they ever do want a thorough day-to-day testing of
                        a Big Dummy, you're the way to go. The fact that, through ordinary use
                        not abuse, you've gone through a free-radical a year ought to be a good
                        talking point.

                        CL

                      • Michael Lemberger
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 8, 2006
                          Hiya John, Tone, et al,

                          First, just a word about where I'm coming from. I'm a hardcore bike
                          freak. I wife and I own and use 2 Free Radical conversions. It's
                          really a truly revolutionary idea and an ingenious product. Being
                          able to convert just about any bike into something capable of hauling
                          trailer-sized loads and still ride more or less like a regular bike
                          sans trailer is fantastic.

                          To me, the unified longtail frame is the next logical evolutionary
                          step, but very much doubt that it will replace the Free Radical kit.
                          I don't think the people who would buy a Big Dummy are necessarily
                          the same people who would buy a Free Radical. My hope (and I'm sure
                          Xtracycle's and Surly's) is that it will expand the market.

                          As wonderful a product as the Free Radical is, it has issues that
                          should be addressed. The first is the creak at the chainstay bridge-
                          tongue attachment point. Next would be the poor torsional rigidity on
                          certain donor bikes. Differences in height between donor bikes'
                          chainstay bridge attachment point height can a pretty substantial
                          effect on the bike's handling. One of our Free Radicals, based on an
                          older GT mountain bike, handles pretty well. The other, based on a
                          Trek 970, not so much. Either one will get pretty whippy near the
                          upper end of the load weight limit.

                          Then there's the overall improvisational homebuilt feel. I'm fine
                          with riding a kit-built conversion around, but some people aren't.
                          Also, in conversations with interested parties, I've had to contest
                          the idea that the Free Radical was part of the donor bike brand's
                          lineup. More than once, I've gotten the "oh, so that's a Trek?"
                          question. An integrated longtail will finally give this class of
                          bikes an identity of its very own. Kinda like when Joe Breeze, Tom
                          Ritchie and their ilk took us from Clunker to Mountain Bike (not
                          exactly, but I did say kinda.)

                          Here's what I see as the benefits of having an integrated frame:

                          -Reduction in torsional flex.
                          -Improved strength behind the rear dropouts
                          -Haven't confirmed this, but I think it resolves rear disk brake
                          caliper-disk size difference
                          -Improved handling
                          -Lighter (not a big issue for me, but every little bit helps)
                          -An identifiable, marketable cargo bike

                          As for the cost, yes, it's expensive. But think about it--it's a
                          completely new class of commercially-produced bicycle. It will
                          require more materials to produce, larger shipping boxes and more
                          shipping space. The market for it is currently pretty small, so
                          there's also some risk that it won't sell enough to cover development
                          costs. I don't know how the cost of a complete bike will compare to
                          some other cargo bike like a Bakfiets or a Christiana, but I'm
                          betting it would not be substantially different.

                          Tone,

                          I get where you're coming from and hear you on the cost issue, but I
                          think Surly is going out on a limb. And look, Pugsley buyers pay a
                          premium too ($550 or $600, I think. Anybody know what list price is
                          on a Pugsley?)

                          The Big Dummy does have vertical dropouts. John's white industries
                          ENO hub suggestion is a good one. I've heard those are pretty bombproof.

                          John,

                          The riding you describe doesn't sound like it would justify a Big
                          Dummy. Seems like there are and will continue to be plenty of Free
                          Radical owners in that position. Like I say, I hope it expands the
                          market for this type of bike. I'll be keeping one of mine and
                          hopefully selling the other to the firefighter across the street. She
                          commutes about a mile to the firehouse with about 60 pounds of gear.
                          She's currently using a Chevy Suburban, but she loves the Free
                          Radical. I'm aiming to create another convert... 8-)

                          Cheers,

                          Michael
                          Madison, WI
                          sconnyboy.blogspot.com
                        • karpaydiem
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 15, 2006
                            Well it's good to read that someone else is hard on the FreeRadical. I
                            had one break a few months ago and replaced under warranty. I could
                            see that the unsupported portion, to the rear of the dropouts, was not
                            a strong design.

                            I tried beefing it up by running aircraft cables from the back lower
                            corners to turnbuckles attached to the upper forward corners of the
                            bag frames, held on with hoseclamps. The other day at about 30 mph and
                            carrying about 60 lbs I hit a huge pothole and the rear portion of the
                            FreeRadical bent downward about 15 degrees, enough to wipe out my
                            fender between the tire and the Snapdeck. So my cables didn't exactly
                            work perfectly, but I can't help but think that without them, I'd have
                            another snapped frame.

                            So now, after straightening the frame (using 4x4's clamped above and
                            below the bend with a length of 5/8" threaded rod) I've really gone
                            all out in my beefing up, short of anything welded.

                            First I ran a length of 3/4 x 1/8" flat steel bar on the outside of
                            the tubes that support the dropouts, from the brake bosses to the rear
                            cross bar. I clamped it to the FreeRadcial tubes with 7 hose clamps on
                            each side. Looks like hell, but I figure it will add some stength.

                            Next, I put some 1/2" thin wall electrical conduit tubes in
                            triangulated postions, attached to the FreeRadical tubing with pieces
                            of plumber's tape bolted through the conduit with stainless machine
                            screws and nylock nuts. One runs from the rear upper corner of the bag
                            frame to the dropout tube, just back of the fender boss. Then I ran a
                            second tube from the middle of the first tube to the upper front
                            corner of the bag frame.

                            This all looks pretty much like a huge weird kludge, but I'm
                            determined to not have any more bent/broken frames... until I can get
                            a Big Dummy which seems to have worked out supporting that
                            failure-prone rear portion.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 15, 2006
                              its all about the Big Dummy
                              i wonder what Surly's initial run is gonna be?
                              that is...
                              how many are they gonna make?

                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 16, 2006

                                Karpaydiem,

                                            It is funny you should mention your “patch job” of the FreeRadical today. Oddly enough the night before you wrote your post I spent a little over two hours after work reinforcing my own FreeRadical to keep the left side tubing from cracking more than it already has just behind the dropouts.

                                            I bought ¾” internal-diameter plumbing pipe at a length of 10” for about $2.00 and four hose clamps for about $0.59 each, then used my cordless grinder to cut the pipe in half lengthwise. I had to cut little triangles out of one half of the piping in various spots to keep the pipe flush against the FreeRadical tubing since the mudguard mounting bracket, my preferred rear-wheel quick-release position, and the disc-brake protector mount were somewhat in the way. Along the length of tubing on the inside of the FreeRadical (between the rear drop outs and disc-brake rotor) I then used the other half of the pipe, however I had to cut that lengthwise in half even further because the disc-brake mounts on the FreeRadical would also have gotten in the way. From there I sandwiched the two bars of cut-pipe with the FreeRadical tubing in between. Two hose clamps were run through the gaps between the disc-brake mount welds and the two other hose clamps were placed past the rear drop outs. Basically the whole thing looks like some kind of metal-splint.

                                            Now I am just hoping this holds my Xtracycle up enough until June. Although I guess I should also hope Surly’s release date for the Big Dummy is on time. J

                                _TONE_

                              • karpaydiem
                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 16, 2006
                                  Yeah, Tone, great minds think alike, or as my Dad used to say, "Two
                                  minds with but a single thought - a half a thought apiece!"

                                  I too saw my reinforcement as a splint. Your pipe idea sounds
                                  stronger; I had thought of that, but went with the easier strip down
                                  the side in my lazy, minimalist approach. I sure hope it works.

                                  Maybe we'll inspire Xtracycle to put out a HD version, sort of an
                                  XtraXtracycle.

                                  As to the part of this thread adresssing the cost of the Big Dummy, my
                                  perspective is the same as when I built up the Instigator frame
                                  (bought used on eBay) into the Stokemonkey Frankenbike I now ride. And
                                  that perspective is that this is a car replacement. So my mantra was
                                  (and is): "It's not a car. Spend the money. It's not a car. Spend the
                                  money. It's not a car. Spend the money."

                                  From this viewpoint the projected cost of the Big Dummy frame is much
                                  less than a year's worth of basic liablity car insurance. Not to
                                  mention all the hidden costs of car ownership like killing 120 of us a
                                  day just in accidents and, oh yeah, cooking our only lovely planet.
                                  $600? Not a bad deal!

                                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Tone" <Tone@...> wrote:

                                  > Karpaydiem,
                                  > It is funny you should mention your "patch job" of the
                                  > FreeRadical today. Oddly enough the night before you wrote your post I
                                  > spent a little over two hours after work reinforcing my own
                                  FreeRadical...<snip>