Riding the Spine: Update

  • Pete B
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2006
      Has anyone been following these guys on their blog as they ride the Rockies from Banff to Mexico.

      It's an inspiring narrative but I think I'll stick to summer touring ;-)
      Brrrrr.....

      Pete.
      http://www.ridingthespine.com/Journey/uncategorized/jim-jones-the-baby-killers

      Quote "....
      Bike touring in the snow is waking up and seeing icycles dripping smoothly off the tent as the fabric sags precariously close to your face, suffocating the inhabitants with its frosty weight.
      It's attempting to move your bike, only to discover that the wheel is frozen to the ground.
      It's wishing you had a hammer and chisel to break off the accumulation of snow and slush that has seized your wheels from spinning.
      It's riding your bike and watching an icycle slowly develop on your helmet visor.
      It's descending a steep hill and realizing that your brakes no longer function; picking the best line to crash, hoping incur the least amount of physical    trauma.
      It's about having to constantly break loose the ice that has frozen your rear derailleur pulleys.
      It's desparately hoping you are going the right direction as you pull/push/tug/drag/slide/maneuver your bike up the super steep 2 mile section that is    covered in 6-8 inches of pure fluffy white frustration.
      It's the sound of agony when you reach the top of the perceived pass and find that it is actually a dead-end.
      It's losing the feeling in your feet/toes from the moment you get out of the sleeping bag until you are back in your sleeping bag.
      It's inventing new ways to ride a bicycle, involving one foot sliding along the ice as a sort of support ski and using the rest of your body to direct the bike,   keeping it from sliding off the trail.
      It's realizing that at best, 50% of the steering is the result of your actions, and the other 50% is the icy/muddy grooves in the road.
      It's unexpectdly sliding sideways along a hidden groove at 20 miles per hour.
      It's watching Sean slide off the road, flipping upside down with the bike landing on top of him.
      It's gaining a new appreciation for a wind chill factor when you are riding 20 mph down a hill in 5 degree weather.
      It's having a cold storage with you at all times, freezing your eggs, vegetables, cheese, etc. SOLID..."