Re: [rootsradicals] Re: gas shortages in SE USA

  • Mark Garvey
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2008
      I went to the gas station today because I have been riding my motorcycle more than my bike lately.  My motorcycle took 1.6 gallons of gas, and I had driven it 175 miles more or less in the last two weeks.  (the bike only about 50 miles....sigh...)

      mark

      On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 3:19 PM, MH <hoagy@...> wrote:
      As for the gas shortage thing I know I'm luckier then most but
      I've reduced my gasoline costs to $25 or less a month. I'm doing
      my best to get to one less car status.  -Mark H.

      Morgan wrote:
      > Yep, we're in the thick of it.  Lots of gas stations have their pumps bagged up.
      > Check out this video from Atlanta of gas lines there (taken from a bicycle!):
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U01djSaI9c
      >
      > Anyway, this has definitely raised awareness here for people thinking about alternatives.
      > A good thing IMHO.
      >
      > But, soon the shortages will be over, and it will be just business-as-usual, until
      > the next time.

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      --
      "C'mon BABY!  Let's do the TWIST!"

      Chubby Checker
    • MH
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2008
        I use to ride my motorcycles a LOT but the last time I broke
        my collarbone in 92' I gave it up. I bruised a few ribs on my
        MTB but no injury's on my recumbents. Living in a small city would
        eliminate my need to own internal combustion engine devices and
        leave it to others to operate. One place I looked at has got a
        lovely city block park across the street from the eight floor
        apartment complex with outdoor bicycle parking in back. Right now
        I'm putting on less than 200 miles a month at 44 mpg. Not as good
        as your motorbike but I suppose you can carry four bags of groceries
        home on yours. One on either side of the backrest and one in each
        saddlebag. Thats pretty darn nice. I'd like my S.U.B to carry
        home canned goods by the case loads and stimulate some interest in
        my community with those cool looking bikes you all ride. -Mark H.

        I wonder how Anne Littlebird is doing? She must be pretty
        busy with her music and work. Anne are you there?

        Mark Garvey wrote:
        > I went to the gas station today because I have been riding my motorcycle
        > more than my bike lately. My motorcycle took 1.6 gallons of gas, and I had
        > driven it 175 miles more or less in the last two weeks. (the bike only
        > about 50 miles....sigh...)
      • MH
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 2, 2008
          I was just thinking there maybe one less car on my part but I'll have
          six bicycles. Still at 35 pounds apiece they weigh less than a
          motorbike I think. That must be my alter ego working. I'll still
          be putting carbon in the air via Grayhound bus travel two or three
          times a year and some city bus commutes. -Mark H.

          Mark Garvey wrote:
          > I went to the gas station today because I have been riding my motorcycle
          > more than my bike lately. My motorcycle took 1.6 gallons of gas, and I had
          > driven it 175 miles more or less in the last two weeks. (the bike only
          > about 50 miles....sigh...)

          >MH wrote:
          >> As for the gas shortage thing I know I'm luckier then most but
          >> I've reduced my gasoline costs to $25 or less a month. I'm doing
          >> my best to get to one less car status. -Mark H.
        • Philip Chase
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 2, 2008
            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Morgan" <mcgurme@...> wrote:

            > Yep, we're in the thick of it. Lots of gas stations have their
            pumps bagged up.
            > Check out this video from Atlanta of gas lines there (taken from a
            bicycle!):
            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U01djSaI9c
            >
            > Anyway, this has definitely raised awareness here for people
            thinking about alternatives.
            > A good thing IMHO.
            >
            > But, soon the shortages will be over, and it will be just
            business-as-usual, until
            > the next time.
            >
            > Morgan

            And if you don't idle your engine you can't run your A/C. Life is
            hard for the box bound.

            I have put so much mileage on my bike recently that I didn't believe
            my odometer at first, but I did the math and it's right. I think I
            drove my car to work once--maybe twice--since school started in
            August. You really rack up the mileage when you don't use the car.

            I think it's time to ditch the parking sticker at work. :-)

            Philip
          • j.a. tackett
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 2, 2008
              be thankful you are not celiac...........wheat,barley and rye are in everything out there......
              i also have to stay away from cows milk and cheese..........so planning to take for food on trips takes a bit of planning .................

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 2, 2008
                Yeah, I didn't wanna say anything, but I know how you feel. To top it off, Soy makes me fall asleep. As in: boom, I am asleep. Never figured out what that was about.

                Try making some home-made granola. Cheap, very very easy, and provides EXCELLENT energy for the long rides.

                Nuts, dried fruit, some honey, oats. Its what we bring along. I think we use this recipe:

                and it works out very very well.

                We tend to buy our stuff for this at Trader Joes cuz we they have a great list of foods that do not contain gluten.

                The other thing we try to do is bring along a few apples, some cheese and  some nuts. Put it in the freebie insulated lunch sacks that come with coolers or at events. If the apple is cold as well as the cheese, both will stay chilled for hours. Its small, relatively light, and fits in either the panniers of the shortbikes or it stows VERY easily in the longbike. Use your knife from your repair kit (I also carry my leatherman.)

                I am rigging a tiny basket for the front of my bike that I will be using to hold a cup of coffee and a small tupperware of nuts. I need to get going on that project before it gets too cold -- nothing like a nice cuppa joe to warm your fingers on the morning ride.

                JJ
                who isn't a celiac, but is married to one and is the father of two.

                On Oct 2, 2008, at 4:47 AM, j.a. tackett wrote:

                be thankful you are not celiac...... .....wheat, barley and rye are in everything out there......
                i also have to stay away from cows milk and cheese...... ....so planning to take for food on trips takes a bit of planning ............ .....

                On Sep 30, Devian Gilbert tripped the electrons lexically so:

                > today a buddy shared part of his food bar
                >
                > http://www.mealpack .com/
                >
                > its awesome!  and not too expensive.
                >
                > my last trip, i was eating snickers bars.
                > a 48pk at Smart & Final is about $22
                > 280cal each bar... (but of course its candy)
                >
                > seems like the Meal Pack is better nutrition, and not too terribly expensiv e.

                I went and looked at the site, and it looked interesting. Until I
                noticed that the first or second ingredient for every one was milk.
                Since I'm a Lactard, I'll just have to stick with Clif bars or
                PBJ/bananas/ etc.

                Bummer.

                --
                Dane Buson - Buson@unixbigots. org
                "Yeah, she's beautiful, but you can't find her IQ with a flashlight."
                -from "The Greatest American Hero"

                JJ Ark

                "We used to say if a frog had side pockets, he'd carry a handgun." - Dan Rather, Election Night, 2004

              • Mark Garvey
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 2, 2008

                  On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 11:56 PM, MH <hoagy@...> wrote:
                  Not as good
                  as your motorbike but I suppose you can carry four bags of groceries
                  home on yours.  One on either side of the backrest and one in each
                  saddlebag.

                  Nah!  on my motorcycle, I can get two, maybe 3, bags in the milk crate on the rear seat so I don't like shopping on the bicycle unless I KNOW that I am not going to have a lot to get.  today I DID take it, i got 3 bottles of tonic water, a bottle of Gin, 2 limes (guess what I am doing with THAT stuff!!!  RIGHT!) and some sour cream for SWMBO.  If I am going for "real" I take the SUB.  MUCH easier to load groceries on that than the MC.  This is the contrast.  the motorcycle is a bit faster, and does not really use much gas, (Last tankful was 109 mpg)  and insurance is like $35 a year.  OK, that is fine, but the bicycle has more cargo room and it is easier to simply USE.  I prefer to commute on my bicycle if I can.  But who can say...I STILL have to fix the fuel pump on my little car!

                  mark