Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Sure, all these cargo bikes are great, but...

  • MH
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
      What does the average person weigh?
      Women 150 and men 200 pounds?

      I've been cutting back on my bicycle collection.
      I'm now down to four. A bike for winter, summer,
      touring and mountain biking. I won't one for
      cargo and bus travel too. -Mark H.

      Morgan wrote:
      > The bike that seems to be missing in this discussion of carrying
      > weight is the Yuba Mundo. It is designed for up to 440lbs in addition
      > to the rider. The rear wheel is super stout (48 spokes with large
      > axle), and the frame is one piece steel. And at under $900 for the
      > whole bike, it's not that expensive, either.
      >
      > While I love my X and use it still every day, the times when I have
      > heavy loads to carry on the bike, I prefer the Yuba. It feels a lot
      > more stable with a heavy load than my X does. Someday, when I pay off
      > all the loans for starting Cycle 9, I want a Yuba for myself (but I
      > also want a Big Dummy, and a Madsen, and ...)
    • Bruce Alan Wilson
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
        Re: Sure, all these cargo bikes are great, but...

        "Its just that if I want to ride a friend around town on the
        back of my utility bike I need a 600 pound rating. -Mark H."

        You need to get some skinnier friends. :-)

        Bruce Alan Wilson

      • Bruce Alan Wilson
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
          Re: Sure, all these cargo bikes are great, but...

          Longtails have their limit.  There is a certain point where a bakfiest or something similar, or even a cargo, trike is needed

          Bruce Alan Wilson

        • MH
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
            Bruce Alan Wilson wrote:
            > "Its just that if I want to ride a friend around town on the
            > back of my utility bike I need a 600 pound rating. -Mark H."
            >
            > You need to get some skinnier friends. :-)

            Sorry man, some of use were built like front linesman
            U.S. football players. I think back to Rosie Greer
            getting out of the VW Beetle and knitting booties.
            I'm little compared to my two cousins who are giants
            and toss me around like a bag of potatoes. -Mark H.
          • MH
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
              Bruce Alan Wilson wrote:
              > Longtails have their limit. There is a certain point where a bakfiest or
              > something similar, or even a cargo, trike is needed

              You know I tried a large basketed recumbent trike for
              shopping and heading to the laundromat. It was a nice
              setup and worked real nice for four years. For me
              there is something about a bicycle thats just sort of
              sporty about it or maybe its the ability to lean into
              the curves thats appealing. -Mark H.