Re: [rootsradicals] Crank Forward

  • MH
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1 1:09 PM
      Emily Wigley wrote:
      > I have a question about crank forward design. I am just learning
      > about it, so please bear with me. I see that this would be wonderful
      > for stand up pedaling with a load, but when one is sitting and
      > pedaling, is the balance off?

      For the most part no but it depends on the crank location
      as I found OR I'm not the most agile person in the world.
      I liked what Vik and JJ had to say about it as for me ...

      I ride three crank forward variation designed bikes.
      The ones like the Electra and RANS are much like a
      normal ordinary bikes and the feet are always ready to
      help support you from tipping. My long wheel base
      recumbents are much the same and very comfortable. Now
      my short wheel base recumbent looks like the RANS V-Rex
      with feet 20 inches or so off the ground. There is a
      learning curve to balance it at less then 3 mph.
      For example - I get so comfortable on this bike I've
      been known to fall over when stopped because I don't sit
      up to lower my landing gear. I've never been hurt after
      ten years of repeating this maneuver. I guess I'm just
      a slow learner or lazy. ;) After the first few times
      each year I eventually learn.

      With the feet forward crank designs I rely heavily on
      my granny gears for hill climbs. My triple crank has
      similar teeth counts as my mountain bikes - 22,32,44t.
      My rear cassette up to 34 teeth in first gear for the
      3 mile per hour climbs up steeper hills in my area.
      Any slower & I walk the bikes up and enjoy the view but
      for the MOST part I pedal up. -Mark H.
    • j.a. tackett
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2 4:51 AM
        that sounds just about right.............i do the same on long rides..........stand.......stretch.......ball up .........what made it a lot more comfortable was
        raising my handle bars with stem extender

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2 7:09 AM
          Thanks for all the crank forward info.
          It's great to be learning from you all!
          Emily