Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Sure, all these cargo bikes are great, but...

  • JJ Ark
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
      IIRC, as of today, the Xtracycle is Open Source. It is possible that they are availing themselves of that new status.

      JJ
      On Oct 1, 2008, at 12:01 PM, Carl Ray wrote:

      I hate to be a fly in the Ointment but did they not "Borrow" the Freeloader design from Xtracycle???

      Just asking...

      On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 10:48 PM, tytanup <blue73thing@ triad.rr. com> wrote:

      There is additional info on the Rans Hammer Truck posted today at
      http://www.ransbike s.com/ITR70. htm

      There are some nice photos too.

      --
      Carl

      http://xtracycle. blogspot. com

      "The Soul would have no rainbows if the eyes had no tears"
      Guy A Zona

      JJ Ark

      "We used to say if a frog had side pockets, he'd carry a handgun." - Dan Rather, Election Night, 2004

    • MH
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
        What does the average person weigh?
        Women 150 and men 200 pounds?

        I've been cutting back on my bicycle collection.
        I'm now down to four. A bike for winter, summer,
        touring and mountain biking. I won't one for
        cargo and bus travel too. -Mark H.

        Morgan wrote:
        > The bike that seems to be missing in this discussion of carrying
        > weight is the Yuba Mundo. It is designed for up to 440lbs in addition
        > to the rider. The rear wheel is super stout (48 spokes with large
        > axle), and the frame is one piece steel. And at under $900 for the
        > whole bike, it's not that expensive, either.
        >
        > While I love my X and use it still every day, the times when I have
        > heavy loads to carry on the bike, I prefer the Yuba. It feels a lot
        > more stable with a heavy load than my X does. Someday, when I pay off
        > all the loans for starting Cycle 9, I want a Yuba for myself (but I
        > also want a Big Dummy, and a Madsen, and ...)
      • Bruce Alan Wilson
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
          Re: Sure, all these cargo bikes are great, but...

          "Its just that if I want to ride a friend around town on the
          back of my utility bike I need a 600 pound rating. -Mark H."

          You need to get some skinnier friends. :-)

          Bruce Alan Wilson

        • Bruce Alan Wilson
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
            Re: Sure, all these cargo bikes are great, but...

            Longtails have their limit.  There is a certain point where a bakfiest or something similar, or even a cargo, trike is needed

            Bruce Alan Wilson

          • MH
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
              Bruce Alan Wilson wrote:
              > "Its just that if I want to ride a friend around town on the
              > back of my utility bike I need a 600 pound rating. -Mark H."
              >
              > You need to get some skinnier friends. :-)

              Sorry man, some of use were built like front linesman
              U.S. football players. I think back to Rosie Greer
              getting out of the VW Beetle and knitting booties.
              I'm little compared to my two cousins who are giants
              and toss me around like a bag of potatoes. -Mark H.
            • MH
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
                Bruce Alan Wilson wrote:
                > Longtails have their limit. There is a certain point where a bakfiest or
                > something similar, or even a cargo, trike is needed

                You know I tried a large basketed recumbent trike for
                shopping and heading to the laundromat. It was a nice
                setup and worked real nice for four years. For me
                there is something about a bicycle thats just sort of
                sporty about it or maybe its the ability to lean into
                the curves thats appealing. -Mark H.