Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Sure, all these cargo bikes are great, but...

  • Carl Ray
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
      I hate to be a fly in the Ointment but did they not "Borrow" the Freeloader design from Xtracycle???

      Just asking...

      On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 10:48 PM, tytanup <blue73thing@...> wrote:

      There is additional info on the Rans Hammer Truck posted today at
      http://www.ransbikes.com/ITR70.htm

      There are some nice photos too.

      --
      Carl

      http://xtracycle.blogspot.com

      "The Soul would have no rainbows if the eyes had no tears"
      Guy A Zona

    • JJ Ark
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
        IIRC, as of today, the Xtracycle is Open Source. It is possible that they are availing themselves of that new status.

        JJ

        On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 10:48 PM, tytanup <blue73thing@ triad.rr. com> wrote:

        There is additional info on the Rans Hammer Truck posted today at
        http://www.ransbike s.com/ITR70. htm

        There are some nice photos too.

        --
        Carl

        http://xtracycle. blogspot. com

        "The Soul would have no rainbows if the eyes had no tears"
        Guy A Zona

        JJ Ark

        "We used to say if a frog had side pockets, he'd carry a handgun." - Dan Rather, Election Night, 2004

      • MH
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
          What does the average person weigh?
          Women 150 and men 200 pounds?

          I've been cutting back on my bicycle collection.
          I'm now down to four. A bike for winter, summer,
          touring and mountain biking. I won't one for
          cargo and bus travel too. -Mark H.

          Morgan wrote:
          > The bike that seems to be missing in this discussion of carrying
          > weight is the Yuba Mundo. It is designed for up to 440lbs in addition
          > to the rider. The rear wheel is super stout (48 spokes with large
          > axle), and the frame is one piece steel. And at under $900 for the
          > whole bike, it's not that expensive, either.
          >
          > While I love my X and use it still every day, the times when I have
          > heavy loads to carry on the bike, I prefer the Yuba. It feels a lot
          > more stable with a heavy load than my X does. Someday, when I pay off
          > all the loans for starting Cycle 9, I want a Yuba for myself (but I
          > also want a Big Dummy, and a Madsen, and ...)
        • Bruce Alan Wilson
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
            Re: Sure, all these cargo bikes are great, but...

            "Its just that if I want to ride a friend around town on the
            back of my utility bike I need a 600 pound rating. -Mark H."

            You need to get some skinnier friends. :-)

            Bruce Alan Wilson

          • Bruce Alan Wilson
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
              Re: Sure, all these cargo bikes are great, but...

              Longtails have their limit.  There is a certain point where a bakfiest or something similar, or even a cargo, trike is needed

              Bruce Alan Wilson

            • MH
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
                Bruce Alan Wilson wrote:
                > "Its just that if I want to ride a friend around town on the
                > back of my utility bike I need a 600 pound rating. -Mark H."
                >
                > You need to get some skinnier friends. :-)

                Sorry man, some of use were built like front linesman
                U.S. football players. I think back to Rosie Greer
                getting out of the VW Beetle and knitting booties.
                I'm little compared to my two cousins who are giants
                and toss me around like a bag of potatoes. -Mark H.
              • MH
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
                  Bruce Alan Wilson wrote:
                  > Longtails have their limit. There is a certain point where a bakfiest or
                  > something similar, or even a cargo, trike is needed

                  You know I tried a large basketed recumbent trike for
                  shopping and heading to the laundromat. It was a nice
                  setup and worked real nice for four years. For me
                  there is something about a bicycle thats just sort of
                  sporty about it or maybe its the ability to lean into
                  the curves thats appealing. -Mark H.