Re: [rootsradicals] Crank Forward

  • Devian Gilbert
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
      I'm one of those people that likes to stand up... and pedal

      i swap back and forth, typically use a spin for a bit, grab a bigger gear, and stand... for awhile... then sit back down and spin.
      i also like to simply stand up and stretch, possibly dig around thru a bar bag for some food, or something...

      i also like to be able to tuck into something of a cannon ball shape, and let things go, awhile...
      standing up and all that jazz, is pretty crucial to being in the dirt...

      standing up thru traffic... that lets you see whats going on...
      and its always nice to use your body in different ways on the bike.

      but... there are a lot of people that ride recumbents

      "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

      On Oct 1, 2008, at 9:29 AM, JJ Ark wrote:

      thats interesting, and soemthing I hadn't thought of before:

      I almost Never stand, except to overcome inertia at traffic signals, and even then, its just for the first pedal or two.

      I think this is because when you have kids on back, they would get jostled back and forth repeatedly, possibly thrown.

      When you have a load in back, it gets thrown from side to side, creating instability -- think 200lbs or so back there.

      So you generally do not want to stand up on the pedals.

      for that reason, a wide range of gearing is critical.

      JJ

      On Oct 1, 2008, at 8:22 AM, Vik wrote:

      Emily - having ridden a RANS crank forward for many miles they are very stable bikes and being bale to put your feet down while seated is awesome for easy starts and stops.  I haven't carried a huge load with one, but I think it would make a great donor bike for an Xtracycle or in the form of the Hammer Truck.

      One thing I do find is that standing up on the pedals is not as easy as a normal upright bike.  Although this will depend on the relation of the pedals to the seat so some crank forward designs  make this easier and some more difficult.  I use the gears more on a crank forward and shift rather than stand up.  Having said that I do the same with my Big Dummy when loaded - using the gears to adjust speed rather than standing up.

      safe riding,

      Vik
      www.vikram-banerjee .com
      www.thelazyrando. com
      www.viks-tikit. com
      www.viks-bigdummy. com

      On 1-Oct-08, at 8:06 AM, Emily Wigley wrote:

      I have a question about crank forward design. I am just learning
      about it, so please bear with me. I see that this would be wonderful
      for stand up pedaling with a load, but when one is sitting and
      pedaling, is the balance off? Most activities in a sitting position
      give better strength and balance when legs are either way out in
      front (i.e., rowing), or directly below one's center of balance
      (hips, shoulders, feet in line). Just wondering what it feels like;
      it looks awkward and unbalanced to me. But that's just my visual
      impression.
      Emily

      Emily Wigley
      ewigley@mindspring. com
      www.FishBowlFarm. com

      JJ Ark

      "Jennifer: I don't want to eat your skin, Madonna! I'm not a crazy!
      Dawn: Yeah, she's not even a fan. She hates your work! "
      -- French and Saunders

    • Jeff Snavely
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
        There are two issues with crank-forward

        - first, it's almost impossible to stand and pedal on some bikes, and very awkward on others - depending on how far forward the cranks are, and the bars you have on the bike.
        - strong pedaling, such as climbing, causes additional stress on your hands because you have to hold on to keep from pushing yourself off the back of the seat.

        The seat on something like the RANS helps alleviate the later issue.

        On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 10:06 AM, Emily Wigley <ewigley@...> wrote:

        I have a question about crank forward design. I am just learning
        about it, so please bear with me. I see that this would be wonderful
        for stand up pedaling with a load, but when one is sitting and
        pedaling, is the balance off? Most activities in a sitting position
        give better strength and balance when legs are either way out in
        front (i.e., rowing), or directly below one's center of balance
        (hips, shoulders, feet in line). Just wondering what it feels like;
        it looks awkward and unbalanced to me. But that's just my visual
        impression.
        Emily

        Emily Wigley
        ewigley@...
        www.FishBowlFarm.com

      • Vik
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
          You allude to it, but I've never felt like I was sliding off the back of a RANS CF seat when pedaling hard.  I agree that the CF position does not allow the rider to stand up as easily...perhaps not at all in the most extreme CF bikes, but that's the trade off for a very comfortable riding position that suits a lot of folks.  Personally I'm completely happy on a normal upright bike, but I know many people who would consider them torture.  My taking the weight off the hands, sitting upright on a wide supportive seat most of those folks can easily ride a CF.

          If you are a performance rider who loves to get out of the saddle and hammer a CF won't make you happy, but that's to be expected not all bikes suit all people.

          safe riding,

          Vik
          www.vikram-banerjee.com
          www.thelazyrando.com
          www.viks-tikit.com
          www.viks-bigdummy.com

          On 1-Oct-08, at 12:22 PM, Jeff Snavely wrote:

          There are two issues with crank-forward

          - first, it's almost impossible to stand and pedal on some bikes, and very awkward on others - depending on how far forward the cranks are, and the bars you have on the bike.
          - strong pedaling, such as climbing, causes additional stress on your hands because you have to hold on to keep from pushing yourself off the back of the seat.

          The seat on something like the RANS helps alleviate the later issue.

        • MH
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
            Emily Wigley wrote:
            > I have a question about crank forward design. I am just learning
            > about it, so please bear with me. I see that this would be wonderful
            > for stand up pedaling with a load, but when one is sitting and
            > pedaling, is the balance off?

            For the most part no but it depends on the crank location
            as I found OR I'm not the most agile person in the world.
            I liked what Vik and JJ had to say about it as for me ...

            I ride three crank forward variation designed bikes.
            The ones like the Electra and RANS are much like a
            normal ordinary bikes and the feet are always ready to
            help support you from tipping. My long wheel base
            recumbents are much the same and very comfortable. Now
            my short wheel base recumbent looks like the RANS V-Rex
            with feet 20 inches or so off the ground. There is a
            learning curve to balance it at less then 3 mph.
            For example - I get so comfortable on this bike I've
            been known to fall over when stopped because I don't sit
            up to lower my landing gear. I've never been hurt after
            ten years of repeating this maneuver. I guess I'm just
            a slow learner or lazy. ;) After the first few times
            each year I eventually learn.

            With the feet forward crank designs I rely heavily on
            my granny gears for hill climbs. My triple crank has
            similar teeth counts as my mountain bikes - 22,32,44t.
            My rear cassette up to 34 teeth in first gear for the
            3 mile per hour climbs up steeper hills in my area.
            Any slower & I walk the bikes up and enjoy the view but
            for the MOST part I pedal up. -Mark H.
          • j.a. tackett
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 2, 2008
              that sounds just about right.............i do the same on long rides..........stand.......stretch.......ball up .........what made it a lot more comfortable was
              raising my handle bars with stem extender

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 2008
                Thanks for all the crank forward info.
                It's great to be learning from you all!
                Emily