Re:is the world friendlier on a bike?

  • Morgan
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2008
      > Is it just me? Is it the kid on the back? I think kids, particularly
      > completely adorable ones like mine (not that I'm biased) do help
      > bring the goodwill. :)

      I have definitely noticed a big difference in the friendliness/caution
      of drivers when I have my daughter on the back. That's a good thing,
      for sure.

      But also, I have noticed a big difference depending on my own
      attitude. If I set out with a negative, aggressive attitude, it
      certainly seems that drives reciprocate. On the other hand, if I set
      out with a happy attitude where I give drivers the benefit of the
      doubt, then things seem for the most part much better. For example
      you gave the woman with book in her lap benefit of the doubt. I think
      most (98%) of drivers who do obnoxious things don't mean harm - they
      are just being stupid or inattentive. While it is critical to bike
      defensively in either case, ones emotional responses to such auto
      misbehavior don't need to be automatically negative. In fact, being
      positive and friendly is much more likely to effect a change in
      another person than yelling at them or flipping them off (based on my
      own experience).

      I'll also note that drivers treat me better when I wear my "Marvin the
      Martian" helmet that was custom made by a friend of mine. It is
      really funny. And drivers enjoy the sense of humor it conveys, giving
      me more space on average.

      Morgan
    • Andrea Richards
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 8, 2008
        I've noticed something similar. I
        think a lot of people in cars have "glass box syndrome". They're so used to the TV they treat what they see out their car windows like their entertainment, especially as passengers.

        Fat Chick on a regular Ol' bike " I'm bored! I'll yell something stupid out the window at her"

        Same Fat Chick on an oddly long bike with neon lights and music blaring "Hey lookatthat! cool!"

        I'm happy to use any advantage I can get ;-)