Re: Sure, all these cargo bikes are great, but...

  • Morgan
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
      > Ben Savoca wrote:
      > > The X does have its limitations, namely its weight limit,
      >
      > Thats the problem I'm experiencing is my easily maxing out the
      > weight limit thus over stressing its joints and the sway folks
      > feel on there XtraCycle when heavily loaded. I need something
      > heavy duty so I can carry home cargo on my utility bike. A five
      > to six hundred pound rating would be much better for me. Its to
      > bad I don't have the height and weight of average folks. For me
      > a comfortable fit is a 2X Tall with a 22 inch bike frame. -Mark H.
      Hey all,

      The bike that seems to be missing in this discussion of carrying
      weight is the Yuba Mundo. It is designed for up to 440lbs in addition
      to the rider. The rear wheel is super stout (48 spokes with large
      axle), and the frame is one piece steel. And at under $900 for the
      whole bike, it's not that expensive, either.

      While I love my X and use it still every day, the times when I have
      heavy loads to carry on the bike, I prefer the Yuba. It feels a lot
      more stable with a heavy load than my X does. Someday, when I pay off
      all the loans for starting Cycle 9, I want a Yuba for myself (but I
      also want a Big Dummy, and a Madsen, and ...)

      Morgan
    • Carl Ray
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
        I hate to be a fly in the Ointment but did they not "Borrow" the Freeloader design from Xtracycle???

        Just asking...

        On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 10:48 PM, tytanup <blue73thing@...> wrote:

        There is additional info on the Rans Hammer Truck posted today at
        http://www.ransbikes.com/ITR70.htm

        There are some nice photos too.

        --
        Carl

        http://xtracycle.blogspot.com

        "The Soul would have no rainbows if the eyes had no tears"
        Guy A Zona

      • JJ Ark
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
          IIRC, as of today, the Xtracycle is Open Source. It is possible that they are availing themselves of that new status.

          JJ

          On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 10:48 PM, tytanup <blue73thing@ triad.rr. com> wrote:

          There is additional info on the Rans Hammer Truck posted today at
          http://www.ransbike s.com/ITR70. htm

          There are some nice photos too.

          --
          Carl

          http://xtracycle. blogspot. com

          "The Soul would have no rainbows if the eyes had no tears"
          Guy A Zona

          JJ Ark

          "We used to say if a frog had side pockets, he'd carry a handgun." - Dan Rather, Election Night, 2004

        • MH
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
            What does the average person weigh?
            Women 150 and men 200 pounds?

            I've been cutting back on my bicycle collection.
            I'm now down to four. A bike for winter, summer,
            touring and mountain biking. I won't one for
            cargo and bus travel too. -Mark H.

            Morgan wrote:
            > The bike that seems to be missing in this discussion of carrying
            > weight is the Yuba Mundo. It is designed for up to 440lbs in addition
            > to the rider. The rear wheel is super stout (48 spokes with large
            > axle), and the frame is one piece steel. And at under $900 for the
            > whole bike, it's not that expensive, either.
            >
            > While I love my X and use it still every day, the times when I have
            > heavy loads to carry on the bike, I prefer the Yuba. It feels a lot
            > more stable with a heavy load than my X does. Someday, when I pay off
            > all the loans for starting Cycle 9, I want a Yuba for myself (but I
            > also want a Big Dummy, and a Madsen, and ...)
          • Bruce Alan Wilson
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
              Re: Sure, all these cargo bikes are great, but...

              "Its just that if I want to ride a friend around town on the
              back of my utility bike I need a 600 pound rating. -Mark H."

              You need to get some skinnier friends. :-)

              Bruce Alan Wilson

            • Bruce Alan Wilson
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
                Re: Sure, all these cargo bikes are great, but...

                Longtails have their limit.  There is a certain point where a bakfiest or something similar, or even a cargo, trike is needed

                Bruce Alan Wilson

              • MH
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
                  Bruce Alan Wilson wrote:
                  > "Its just that if I want to ride a friend around town on the
                  > back of my utility bike I need a 600 pound rating. -Mark H."
                  >
                  > You need to get some skinnier friends. :-)

                  Sorry man, some of use were built like front linesman
                  U.S. football players. I think back to Rosie Greer
                  getting out of the VW Beetle and knitting booties.
                  I'm little compared to my two cousins who are giants
                  and toss me around like a bag of potatoes. -Mark H.
                • MH
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
                    Bruce Alan Wilson wrote:
                    > Longtails have their limit. There is a certain point where a bakfiest or
                    > something similar, or even a cargo, trike is needed

                    You know I tried a large basketed recumbent trike for
                    shopping and heading to the laundromat. It was a nice
                    setup and worked real nice for four years. For me
                    there is something about a bicycle thats just sort of
                    sporty about it or maybe its the ability to lean into
                    the curves thats appealing. -Mark H.