Re: is the world friendlier on a bike?

  • earthjeni
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2008
      The world definitely IS friendlier on a bike, epecially a cargo bike
      loaded with kids! It seems to make other people happy to see us out
      there. My kids BEG be to ride them around on the X all the time,
      even when its raining...when I have to drive them to school because
      the roads are just too wet, they are so bummed. When I pick them up
      from school, all the parents and kids are still interested, even
      though we're a month into school.

      However, I have an alter ego (as I suspect many on this board do) as
      a roadie and I have to admit that that is sometimes a different
      situation. However, I find the cars that I encounter that have
      something "helpful" to say do, in fact, think they are being helpful
      and telling me something I should know. Its very funny. I live in
      Southampton on the eastern end of Long Island and ride a lot from
      here to Montauk (which is THE BEST place to ride out here, if you're
      visiting) and in the summer there are so many bikes, and we have such
      an outdoor culture, that both riders and cars seem to peacefully co-
      exist.

      I should mention as an aside, when I used to live in Montauk, the
      Citizens Advisory Committe, last year, wanted to pass a resolution
      RESTRICTING bicycles because they felt so many bikes on the roads was
      becoming unsafe. When my ex-husband told me about this, we had a
      good laugh. This is the same group that allegedly protects our
      quality of life, etc. What better quality of life is there than
      riding your bike everywhere with your family and friends?
    • Morgan
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2008
        > Is it just me? Is it the kid on the back? I think kids, particularly
        > completely adorable ones like mine (not that I'm biased) do help
        > bring the goodwill. :)

        I have definitely noticed a big difference in the friendliness/caution
        of drivers when I have my daughter on the back. That's a good thing,
        for sure.

        But also, I have noticed a big difference depending on my own
        attitude. If I set out with a negative, aggressive attitude, it
        certainly seems that drives reciprocate. On the other hand, if I set
        out with a happy attitude where I give drivers the benefit of the
        doubt, then things seem for the most part much better. For example
        you gave the woman with book in her lap benefit of the doubt. I think
        most (98%) of drivers who do obnoxious things don't mean harm - they
        are just being stupid or inattentive. While it is critical to bike
        defensively in either case, ones emotional responses to such auto
        misbehavior don't need to be automatically negative. In fact, being
        positive and friendly is much more likely to effect a change in
        another person than yelling at them or flipping them off (based on my
        own experience).

        I'll also note that drivers treat me better when I wear my "Marvin the
        Martian" helmet that was custom made by a friend of mine. It is
        really funny. And drivers enjoy the sense of humor it conveys, giving
        me more space on average.

        Morgan
      • Andrea Richards
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 8, 2008
          I've noticed something similar. I
          think a lot of people in cars have "glass box syndrome". They're so used to the TV they treat what they see out their car windows like their entertainment, especially as passengers.

          Fat Chick on a regular Ol' bike " I'm bored! I'll yell something stupid out the window at her"

          Same Fat Chick on an oddly long bike with neon lights and music blaring "Hey lookatthat! cool!"

          I'm happy to use any advantage I can get ;-)