Re: [rootsradicals] Sure, all these cargo bikes are great, but...

  • MH
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
      Thank you Vik for all the information. It looks like I can
      compare the Yuba Mundo and the Rans Hammer Truck since there
      weight carrying capacities are very similar as I see it.

      The YM weighs 46 lbs. and the RHT 43 pounds.
      The YM has 48 spokes on the rear and the RHT 40 spokes.
      Both have triangulated frames and rack systems.
      Both have available triple cranks.
      I THINK the YM has a heavier duty two legged kickstand and tires.
      There is a difference in brakes, price and feet location.

      Gosh, now I have three bikes to choose from to meet my HEAVY duty needs.
      The Yuba Mundo, RANS Hammer Truck and Madsen Cycles kg271. Come early
      next year I look forward to checking them all out. Yabadabadoo yahoo!
      -Mark H.

      Vik wrote:
      > Mark the RANS Hammer Truck will have a rating of 500lbs...and retails
      > for about $1900.00. I don't have a lot of details yet, but what I do
      > have is here:
      >
      > http://viks-crankforward.blogspot.com/2008/09/rans-hammer-truck.html
      > http://viks-crankforward.blogspot.com/2008/09/rans-hammer-truck-pt2.html
      > http://pub23.bravenet.com/forum/1970022224/show/747855
      >
      > Given RANS' track record with new products it should be a winner.
      >
      > safe riding,
      >
      > Vik
      > vikbanerjee@...
      > www.vikram-banerjee.com
      > www.thelazyrando.com
      > www.viks-tikit.com
      > www.viks-bigdummy.com

      > MH wrote:
      >
      >> Ben Savoca wrote:
      >> > The X does have its limitations, namely its weight limit,
      >>
      >> Thats the problem I'm experiencing is my easily maxing out the
      >> weight limit thus over stressing its joints and the sway folks
      >> feel on there XtraCycle when heavily loaded. I need something
      >> heavy duty so I can carry home cargo on my utility bike. A five
      >> to six hundred pound rating would be much better for me. Its to
      >> bad I don't have the height and weight of average folks. For me
      >> a comfortable fit is a 2X Tall with a 22 inch bike frame. -Mark H.
    • MH
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
        WOW, some more interesting information! I'm excited.
        Thank you. -Mark H.

        tytanup wrote:
        > There is additional info on the Rans Hammer Truck posted today at
        > http://www.ransbikes.com/ITR70.htm
        >
        > There are some nice photos too.
      • Morgan
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
          > Ben Savoca wrote:
          > > The X does have its limitations, namely its weight limit,
          >
          > Thats the problem I'm experiencing is my easily maxing out the
          > weight limit thus over stressing its joints and the sway folks
          > feel on there XtraCycle when heavily loaded. I need something
          > heavy duty so I can carry home cargo on my utility bike. A five
          > to six hundred pound rating would be much better for me. Its to
          > bad I don't have the height and weight of average folks. For me
          > a comfortable fit is a 2X Tall with a 22 inch bike frame. -Mark H.
          Hey all,

          The bike that seems to be missing in this discussion of carrying
          weight is the Yuba Mundo. It is designed for up to 440lbs in addition
          to the rider. The rear wheel is super stout (48 spokes with large
          axle), and the frame is one piece steel. And at under $900 for the
          whole bike, it's not that expensive, either.

          While I love my X and use it still every day, the times when I have
          heavy loads to carry on the bike, I prefer the Yuba. It feels a lot
          more stable with a heavy load than my X does. Someday, when I pay off
          all the loans for starting Cycle 9, I want a Yuba for myself (but I
          also want a Big Dummy, and a Madsen, and ...)

          Morgan
        • Carl Ray
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
            I hate to be a fly in the Ointment but did they not "Borrow" the Freeloader design from Xtracycle???

            Just asking...

            --
            Carl

            http://xtracycle.blogspot.com

            "The Soul would have no rainbows if the eyes had no tears"
            Guy A Zona

          • JJ Ark
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
              IIRC, as of today, the Xtracycle is Open Source. It is possible that they are availing themselves of that new status.

              JJ

              On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 10:48 PM, tytanup <blue73thing@ triad.rr. com> wrote:

              There is additional info on the Rans Hammer Truck posted today at
              http://www.ransbike s.com/ITR70. htm

              There are some nice photos too.

              --
              Carl

              http://xtracycle. blogspot. com

              "The Soul would have no rainbows if the eyes had no tears"
              Guy A Zona

              JJ Ark

              "We used to say if a frog had side pockets, he'd carry a handgun." - Dan Rather, Election Night, 2004

            • MH
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
                What does the average person weigh?
                Women 150 and men 200 pounds?

                I've been cutting back on my bicycle collection.
                I'm now down to four. A bike for winter, summer,
                touring and mountain biking. I won't one for
                cargo and bus travel too. -Mark H.

                Morgan wrote:
                > The bike that seems to be missing in this discussion of carrying
                > weight is the Yuba Mundo. It is designed for up to 440lbs in addition
                > to the rider. The rear wheel is super stout (48 spokes with large
                > axle), and the frame is one piece steel. And at under $900 for the
                > whole bike, it's not that expensive, either.
                >
                > While I love my X and use it still every day, the times when I have
                > heavy loads to carry on the bike, I prefer the Yuba. It feels a lot
                > more stable with a heavy load than my X does. Someday, when I pay off
                > all the loans for starting Cycle 9, I want a Yuba for myself (but I
                > also want a Big Dummy, and a Madsen, and ...)
              • Bruce Alan Wilson
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
                  Re: Sure, all these cargo bikes are great, but...

                  "Its just that if I want to ride a friend around town on the
                  back of my utility bike I need a 600 pound rating. -Mark H."

                  You need to get some skinnier friends. :-)

                  Bruce Alan Wilson

                • Bruce Alan Wilson
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
                    Re: Sure, all these cargo bikes are great, but...

                    Longtails have their limit.  There is a certain point where a bakfiest or something similar, or even a cargo, trike is needed

                    Bruce Alan Wilson

                  • MH
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
                      Bruce Alan Wilson wrote:
                      > "Its just that if I want to ride a friend around town on the
                      > back of my utility bike I need a 600 pound rating. -Mark H."
                      >
                      > You need to get some skinnier friends. :-)

                      Sorry man, some of use were built like front linesman
                      U.S. football players. I think back to Rosie Greer
                      getting out of the VW Beetle and knitting booties.
                      I'm little compared to my two cousins who are giants
                      and toss me around like a bag of potatoes. -Mark H.
                    • MH
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 1, 2008
                        Bruce Alan Wilson wrote:
                        > Longtails have their limit. There is a certain point where a bakfiest or
                        > something similar, or even a cargo, trike is needed

                        You know I tried a large basketed recumbent trike for
                        shopping and heading to the laundromat. It was a nice
                        setup and worked real nice for four years. For me
                        there is something about a bicycle thats just sort of
                        sporty about it or maybe its the ability to lean into
                        the curves thats appealing. -Mark H.