Xtracycle offroad?

  • Murray Neill
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 8, 2006
      Hi all,
      I use my Xtracycle mainly for commuting, but occasionally I like to
      ride the gravel roads and trails in the forests in the valley behind
      my house. I take off the deck and freeloaders and just go for it. The
      extra length makes it awesome on a downhill and I have more confidence
      than I ever did on a 'normal' mountain bike. The trails do get a bit
      rocky and rutty though and I find I only slow down because I'm worried
      that the freeradical may not handle the stress. I'd hate to damage the
      frame by using it for something it was not designed for. Am I inviting
      diaster by using the xtracycle off-road? Does anyone else ride their
      xtracycle on rough and rutty dirt roads regularly and if so has it
      ever failed due to the extra stress involved?
      Murray
    • familycycling
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 9, 2006
        Hi Murray:

        My FreeRad is mounted to my Schwinn-Fat-Tire-Single-Speed-Cruiser.  I ride it onroad and off-road fully loaded on all kinds of terrain with my granddaughter on the snap deck (and I am way heavier than anyone should be) and I haven't had a bit of trouble.  I do check all the nuts and bolts regularly and tighten as necessary, but I have had no equipment failures.

        Margaret
        aka/Fat Granny

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 24, 2006
          check out ridingthespine.com