Raining...

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2006
      So, I HAVE my bicycle with its new prosthesis, and an elegant
      prosthesis it is.
      Scot has lovingly installed it and its test drive was the bike shop
      food run, so it already knows from bringing food to the masses!
      That was Wednesday, this is Friday and it's RAINING. The cycling
      lifestylist, though, does not resort to toxic emissions at the sight
      of raindrops, especially when she is the Weather Goddess. As usual,
      the rain kept itself at bay during my commute in, save a sprinkle or
      two, but it simply had to storm while I was inside. Radar indicates
      that it will be cooperative and abated by the time I leave.
      In the meantime, I've retrieved it from the bike rack and brought
      it into the computer lab. Which are the parts that I need to make
      sure I find and dry off? I know what they're called 'cause I haven't
      lost the moaners annual yet, but I don't know wehre they are.
      My first trip home Wednesday, I was in the right hand left-turn
      lane (there are two) exiting campus, with four cars in the left left
      lane... and a car came up behind me at the light, stopped, and threw
      himself into reverse, backed up and got into the other lane. Respect,
      I'm tellin' ya!
    • Jeff Youngstrom
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2006
        I live near Seattle. I've never dried off any part of my bike except
        the seat once or twice.

        The free radical is steel and so it will rust where it's not painted.
        This limits it to mostly just the insides of the open tubes where the
        v-racks mount (vertically for the freeloaders and horizontally for the
        wide loaders. I shoot a spritz of WD40 in those tubes when I think of
        it (not often) or when the loaders get persnickety (less often) just
        to protect them a bit.

        Other than that, in my experience, the thing doesn't need any special
        attention. (We won't talk about the snap deck finish...)

        Enjoy your new toy!

        jeffy
        my blog: http://tomecat.com/madtimes/
        pics of my bike: http://flickr.com/photos/jeffyoungstrom/sets/515126/

        On 2/3/06, Susan <maps@...> wrote:
        > So, I HAVE my bicycle with its new prosthesis, and an elegant
        > prosthesis it is.
        > Scot has lovingly installed it and its test drive was the bike shop
        > food run, so it already knows from bringing food to the masses!
        > That was Wednesday, this is Friday and it's RAINING. The cycling
        > lifestylist, though, does not resort to toxic emissions at the sight
        > of raindrops, especially when she is the Weather Goddess. As usual,
        > the rain kept itself at bay during my commute in, save a sprinkle or
        > two, but it simply had to storm while I was inside. Radar indicates
        > that it will be cooperative and abated by the time I leave.
        > In the meantime, I've retrieved it from the bike rack and brought
        > it into the computer lab. Which are the parts that I need to make
        > sure I find and dry off? I know what they're called 'cause I haven't
        > lost the moaners annual yet, but I don't know wehre they are.
        > My first trip home Wednesday, I was in the right hand left-turn
        > lane (there are two) exiting campus, with four cars in the left left
        > lane... and a car came up behind me at the light, stopped, and threw
        > himself into reverse, backed up and got into the other lane. Respect,
        > I'm tellin' ya!
        >

        > You're getting this message because you signed up to be an Xtracycle roots
        > radical.

        > ride to believe.

      • Ben Rosenthal
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2006
          The guys at City Bikes (D.C.) who installed my FreeRadical said their decks had gotten practically torn up and nearly ruined from wear and tear over the years, and recommend I apply a finish to mine. I did so at home; my dad who helped me do it said the coating we put on should allow it to withstand a flood. And withstand floods it did, given all the rain I got in Connecticut this past fall. I had bought the waterproof FreeLoaders, knowing I'd be exposed to a significant amount of riding rain during the lifetime of my Xtracycle, so most of my rear frame was protected. In six months of ownership, I haven't oiled my tubing yet, and haven't discovered rust, but I appreciate Jeff's feedback.

          - Ben