Tow-Bike

  • Phil Good-Elliott
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 22, 2008
      I've use the FreeRadical bags to secure bikes by the front wheel for towing purposes. It's a bit
      hairy, but do-able. Certainly, it's much cheaper than a TrayBien. However, I had a brain storm
      a while back: why not use a Thule Lowrider (or something akin) bolted to the back of the
      Snapdeck?

      http://www.rackattack.com/product-pages/thule-821-low-rider.asp (no financial interest).

      One could simply tow the bike w/front wheel in one of the bags. What concerns does this
      bring to mind?

      -Phil
    • kwikfile08
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 22, 2008
        Hello,

        I have tried towing too. I took my Yakima tray and shimmed it on my Wide loader. I think
        the idea you had is good. I would secure the snap deck down real good. Straps or Velcro
        straps like the ones I got would be awesome. The Torsion could very likely pop the deck
        right off.

        Velcro straps are more like belts with a ring at one end. I got them at home depot and
        would recommend them to use on xtracycle loads of all kinds.

        Carl

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Good-Elliott" <b4kids@...> wrote:

        > I've use the FreeRadical bags to secure bikes by the front wheel for towing purposes. It's
        a bit
        > hairy, but do-able. Certainly, it's much cheaper than a TrayBien. However, I had a brain
        storm
        > a while back: why not use a Thule Lowrider (or something akin) bolted to the back of
        the
        > Snapdeck?
        >
        > http://www.rackattack.com/product-pages/thule-821-low-rider.asp (no financial
        interest).

        > One could simply tow the bike w/front wheel in one of the bags. What concerns does
        this
        > bring to mind?
        >
        > -Phil

      • Steve Lange
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 23, 2008
          From: "kwikfile08" <kwikfile@...>

          > I have tried towing too. I took my Yakima tray and shimmed it on my
          > Wide loader. I think the idea you had is good. I would secure the
          > snap deck down real good. Straps or Velcro straps like the ones I
          > got would be awesome. The Torsion could very likely pop the deck
          > right off.

          I think this comment about the SnapDeck is a good one; unintended pop-off is
          certainly an issue.

          One other thing to consider - having the fork ends as high up as having that
          Thule fixture bolted to the top of the SnapDeck would make the headtube ride
          at a pretty extreme angle, like 45* to the ground or so.

          I mention this because, in my experience towing like you describe (front wheel
          in a Freeloader), I've found the tracking of the towed bike can already be
          pretty poor, causing the rear wheel of the towed bike to skip on sharp
          corners. Getting the whole shebang up even higher would probably make it
          worse, because you're changing the geometry of the headtube / fork interface
          even further. Without wanting to do too much FUD, I could see this causing the
          towed bike to really lean outwards in corners, and thereby torque on the X,
          possibly throwing you off balance in precisely the wrong way for cornering.

          So - what about using four conduit p-clips to bolt the Thule fixture between
          the v-racks? The Thule would have to be rotated approximately 90* into the
          vertical plane, but the quick release fixture itself should work just as well
          like that (based on the photo on their website). The added benefit of this is
          that it would help keep your v-racks bolted together, enhancing SnapDeck
          retention. And you won't clutter up your SnapDeck for passengers/cargo/etc.

          You would obviously just position the Thule fixture at a height comparable to
          where it would be with a wheel fitted, and then the bike should tow really
          nice, with the headtube / fork articulating correctly around corners. You
          would probably want to use a strap or two to secure the fork/handlebars to the
          v-racks / Free Rad as extra insurance, just in case the Thule quick release
          failed or something.

          Only downside would be that the hard fixture formed by the Thule and the
          p-clips would make taking off the SnapDeck slightly more difficult, but how
          often do you really remove your SnapDeck anyways?

          Cool idea, let us know how it turns out if you pursue it.

          Steve
        • Tim Lupfer
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 24, 2008
            -that mount doesn't work very well because it doesn't pivot. a front
            hub works much better
            -I tried attaching a front hub to the snap deck and it was incredibly wobbly
            -attaching the hub at the bottom of the freerad was a much better
            solution (except for my fixed gear which struck a pedal a couple of
            times)
            -muffler clamps work great for securing the hub to the freerad...you
            probably also want to grind the flange to approximately the shape of
            the tube

            On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 9:28 PM, Phil Good-Elliott <b4kids@...> wrote:
            > I've use the FreeRadical bags to secure bikes by the front wheel for towing
            > purposes. It's a bit
            > hairy, but do-able. Certainly, it's much cheaper than a TrayBien. However, I
            > had a brain storm
            > a while back: why not use a Thule Lowrider (or something akin) bolted to the
            > back of the
            > Snapdeck?
            >
            > http://www.rackattack.com/product-pages/thule-821-low-rider.asp (no
            > financial interest).
            >
            > One could simply tow the bike w/front wheel in one of the bags. What
            > concerns does this
            > bring to mind?
            >
            > -Phil

          • Phil Good-Elliott
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 24, 2008
              Tim, this makes a lot of sense. Could you post a couple of photos of your rig if you still
              have it? Finding spare hubs will not be a problem for me.

              -Phil

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Lupfer" <tim.lupfer@...> wrote:

              > -that mount doesn't work very well because it doesn't pivot. a front
              > hub works much better
              > -I tried attaching a front hub to the snap deck and it was incredibly wobbly
              > -attaching the hub at the bottom of the freerad was a much better
              > solution (except for my fixed gear which struck a pedal a couple of
              > times)
              > -muffler clamps work great for securing the hub to the freerad...you
              > probably also want to grind the flange to approximately the shape of
              > the tube
              >
              > On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 9:28 PM, Phil Good-Elliott <b4kids@...> wrote:
              > > I've use the FreeRadical bags to secure bikes by the front wheel for towing
              > > purposes. It's a bit
              > > hairy, but do-able. Certainly, it's much cheaper than a TrayBien. However, I
              > > had a brain storm
              > > a while back: why not use a Thule Lowrider (or something akin) bolted to the
              > > back of the
              > > Snapdeck?
              > >
              > > http://www.rackattack.com/product-pages/thule-821-low-rider.asp (no
              > > financial interest).
              > >
              > > One could simply tow the bike w/front wheel in one of the bags. What
              > > concerns does this
              > > bring to mind?
              > >
              > > -Phil

            • Tim Lupfer
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 28, 2008
                Phil, I've since abandoned that system in favor of a dedicated fork
                mount-side-carrier-type thing. The shorter length makes it a more
                viable option for longer distance hauling. My coworker is still using
                the hub setup, however, and I'll snap a photo of his bike next time we
                work together. cheers, Tim

                On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 8:38 PM, Phil Good-Elliott <b4kids@...> wrote:

                > Tim, this makes a lot of sense. Could you post a couple of photos of your rig if you still
                > have it? Finding spare hubs will not be a problem for me.
                >
                > -Phil
                >
                > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Lupfer" <tim.lupfer@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > -that mount doesn't work very well because it doesn't pivot. a front
                > > hub works much better
                > > -I tried attaching a front hub to the snap deck and it was incredibly wobbly
                > > -attaching the hub at the bottom of the freerad was a much better
                > > solution (except for my fixed gear which struck a pedal a couple of
                > > times)
                > > -muffler clamps work great for securing the hub to the freerad...you
                > > probably also want to grind the flange to approximately the shape of
                > > the tube
                > >
                > > On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 9:28 PM, Phil Good-Elliott <b4kids@...> wrote:
                > > > I've use the FreeRadical bags to secure bikes by the front wheel for towing
                > > > purposes. It's a bit
                > > > hairy, but do-able. Certainly, it's much cheaper than a TrayBien. However, I
                > > > had a brain storm
                > > > a while back: why not use a Thule Lowrider (or something akin) bolted to the
                > > > back of the
                > > > Snapdeck?
                > > >
                > > > http://www.rackattack.com/product-pages/thule-821-low-rider.asp (no
                > > > financial interest).
                > > >
                > > > One could simply tow the bike w/front wheel in one of the bags. What
                > > > concerns does this
                > > > bring to mind?
                > > >
                > > > -Phil
              • David Bole
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 28, 2008
                  Hi Phil,

                  I'm Tim's coworker. Here's a few photos of the hub mounted tow
                  system. I have a Burley moose rack mounted to the tow hub in the
                  photos. The moose rack comes off in a minute or two for towing
                  purposes. Picture 1 is the best. http://www.aucracing.com/tim/piccolo/

                  I have towed bikes many times with this setup (10 miles max). I do
                  not need to use it often. I think Tim's towing setup is better. You
                  do not have to deal with as much wobble, pedals hitting the ground,
                  or the really long rig.

                  Dave

                  wrote:

                  > Phil, I've since abandoned that system in favor of a dedicated fork
                  > mount-side-carrier-type thing. The shorter length makes it a more
                  > viable option for longer distance hauling. My coworker is still
                  using
                  > the hub setup, however, and I'll snap a photo of his bike next time
                  we
                  > work together. cheers, Tim
                  >
                  > On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 8:38 PM, Phil Good-Elliott <b4kids@...>
                  wrote:

                  > > Tim, this makes a lot of sense. Could you post a couple of photos
                  of your rig if you still
                  > > have it? Finding spare hubs will not be a problem for me.
                  > >
                  > > -Phil
                  > >
                  > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Lupfer" <tim.lupfer@>
                  wrote:

                  > > > -that mount doesn't work very well because it doesn't pivot. a
                  front
                  > > > hub works much better
                  > > > -I tried attaching a front hub to the snap deck and it was
                  incredibly wobbly
                  > > > -attaching the hub at the bottom of the freerad was a much
                  better
                  > > > solution (except for my fixed gear which struck a pedal a
                  couple of
                  > > > times)
                  > > > -muffler clamps work great for securing the hub to the
                  freerad...you
                  > > > probably also want to grind the flange to approximately the
                  shape of
                  > > > the tube

                  TrayBien. However, I

                • Phil Good-Elliott
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
                    Tim and Dave, thanks for the replies and the photos.

                    Dave, how do you keep the hub from rotating downwards? I'd be concerned it could rotate
                    down and the forks could then bind against the back of the FreeRadical (chew up that
                    paint and possibly damage the fork and/or back of the FreeRadical).

                    Tim, I'm interested in short hauls - nothing long - maybe two miles at the most.

                    -Phil