Fenders (Mudguards) on Front suspension forks

  • alexbknight
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 25, 2006
      Winter is coming, but actually most of the rain was in July / August
      this year. I'm preparing the lovely Xtracycle for the winter, but how
      do I fix a set of full length mudguards on a Mountain bike suspension
      forks that is designed NOT to have them, also running 2.35" Big apples!
      Anyone have any tips for the sort of brackets I should be buying or
      making, or the biggest fenders that may fit the tyres?

      Many thanks

      Alex
    • Jeff Youngstrom
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 25, 2006
        zip ties.

        You can kind of see what I did on mine in this picture:
        http://flickr.com/photos/jeffyoungstrom/66399314/in/set-515126/

        jeffy

        On 10/25/06, alexbknight <Alexbknight@...> wrote:
        > Winter is coming, but actually most of the rain was in July / August
        > this year. I'm preparing the lovely Xtracycle for the winter, but how
        > do I fix a set of full length mudguards on a Mountain bike suspension
        > forks that is designed NOT to have them, also running 2.35" Big apples!
        > Anyone have any tips for the sort of brackets I should be buying or
        > making, or the biggest fenders that may fit the tyres?
        >
        > Many thanks
        >
        > Alex

        > ride to believe.
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Phillip Barron
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 25, 2006
          Yeah, zip ties. What Jeff has done is exactly what I did. And it works like a charm.

          phillip

          --
          Phillip Barron

          http://www.nicomachus.net
          pbarron@...
        • John Speare
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 25, 2006
            On 10/25/06, alexbknight <Alexbknight@...> wrote:

            > Winter is coming, but actually most of the rain was in July / August
            > this year. I'm preparing the lovely Xtracycle for the winter, but how
            > do I fix a set of full length mudguards on a Mountain bike suspension
            > forks that is designed NOT to have them, also running 2.35" Big apples!
            > Anyone have any tips for the sort of brackets I should be buying or
            > making, or the biggest fenders that may fit the tyres?

            tis also the season for harvesting coroplas:
            http://www.mile43.com/peterson/FendForYourself.html

            --
            John Speare
            Spokane, WA USA
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 25, 2006
              A-ha... what a great idea.

              But what I want to know is, what brand is that huge seat bag? I want one.

              Kate

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 5, 2006
                Thank you very much for the hints and tips.
                Been on a bit of a "bracket crusade", wasn't sure that Zip ties were
                100% for me.
                What I found that seem pretty fantastic are:

                "Cateye Universal sensor band kit #169-6280 for Altimeter, HRM,
                Cordless, and all other Cateye computers"

                This is a small plastic clamp that expands large enough to go around
                oversized suspension fork legs.
                Fixed the main struts including quick release tabs with these...
                ... and the main part with ZIP TIES!!

                Also used another reflector bracket to fix a dynamo front light on.

                Detailed photos in "Swiss X rebuilt" Photo album.

                Cheers!
                Alex

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Barron" <pbarron@...>