RE: [rootsradicals] Re: A wheel mystery

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 18, 2006

                  While messengering in the past I have gone through many wheels with numerous spokes popping. It was a major pain. In my profession I can not afford to deal with the loss of time associated with constantly repairing broken spokes. After about two years of messengering I decided to switch and upgrade to mag-style wheels.

                  At the time I went with a set of the three-spoke poly-carbon fiber SPIN wheels. Within a year or two I realized they were kind of crappy compared to other mag-style wheels like Spinergy (4 spoke) and Aerospoke (5 spoke). It was no surprise to me the Spin Company went out of business. That is when I invested the extra money and upgrade to a set of Aerospoke rims. They were not cheap, at $550-even in cash… and that was with a deal because I was on very good terms with the bike shop. Normally they would sell a set of Aerospoke rims for $600 not including the tax.

                  Keep in mind this was all before I even had the Xtracycle. Eventually when I did get the Xtracycle I was even happier about having the Aerospoke rims. They are pretty strong and extremely low maintenance. Apart from the typical cargo I carry around for myself and work, I have hauled around some friends on a number of occasions who certainly weighed over 200 lbs. Eventually when I upgraded the FreeRadical frame I had to one with disc brake mounts, I also upgraded from the typical front and rear V-brakes I had to Avid mechanical disc brakes. My original aluminum Univega 750 FS did not support disc brakes on the frame or the fork it came with. I had to get a new fork, but it was definitely worth it.

                  Other than not worrying about spokes breaking and being able to run a lock through my wheel so much easier, now that I have disc brakes I also never have to worry about switching, aligning, or cleaning brake pads on a regular basis. A definite plus is I also do not have to worry about grit in the brake pads wearing down the rims, which is a big concern when you ride $500+ rims. I know $500+ seems like a lot, but considering I ride 100 to 200 miles or more a week and the Aerospoke rims have held up really well with all kind of loads for long periods of time I am quite happy.

                  I apologize if I sound like an advertising campaign for disc brakes or Aerospoke wheels, but I thought I would share my own experience with the class. J

      Ride safe,