Re: Mechanical Disk Brakes

  • Ian Hopper
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 16, 2006
      I too use Hydraulic Disc's... mine are a set of original (c. 1998)
      Hayes disk brakes and levers. My brother gave them to me and saved me
      a boatload of cash. I did have one issue with the front brake when it
      had to be redone b/c of new handlebars (albatross bars from
      Rivendell); the brand new fluid (less than a month old) was very
      dark. It was traced (I believe, because I didn't do the work) back to
      a worn out connector piece: I believe the rubber was decomposing in
      the new brake fluid and becoming part of the fluid. The part was
      replaced, but I'll be checking every year. I may eventually go to a
      manual disc brake, but it's unlikely, as I've become used to a
      hydraulics over the course of the last 7 years. The argument that
      they can break and spew and leave you without a brake are weak ones:
      any crash that's catastrophic enough to rupture the brake line is
      more than likely going to disable you enough that you won't be riding
      home anyways. I've crashed badly at least 4 times on my MTB with
      Hydraulics and never ruptured a thing (except for on my own body).
      Also, a cable can snap just as easy as a hydraulic line can: it's
      unlikely, but it can happen. My vote? Try them both out and see which
      you like better. Then consider your budget. :) Hydraulics usually
      cost more, but if you like the ease on the hands (and they are
      definitely easier on the hands for extended braking), they are
      superior for that application.