[rootsradicals] Re: kwikfile's flicker page!

  • MH
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 5 8:40 AM

      kwikfile08 wrote:
      > Too bad Sarah doesn't believe that there is any Global Warming...
      > When she has to push back the water, like she ridiculed Obama for last
      > night, maybe then folks won't laugh anymore.
      >
      > Let's just drill the heck out of Alaska and off-shore and
      > pretend to support Wind,Solar and other energy sources.

      I feel the Republican leadership is not in touch with reality.
      They like to be mean spirited whiners which I find depressing.
      After nearly 30 years of republican leadership their trickle
      down economic plan isn't working. Most Americans are working
      harder for less and falling behind or struggling to keep up
      with inflation while the wealthy grow richer in magnitude.
      It seems to me the wealthy are not willing to share with others.
      Republicans are deeply offended that anyone would increase
      taxes on the weathy. What are democrats thinking by increasing
      taxation on the very rich while reducing taxes for the lower
      and middle class citizens. Is that the kind of change most
      Americans want - taking from the rich to help the rest of us?
      Good grief, what are the Democrats thinking? Americans need help
      but I don't see it coming from the right wing. The same goes for
      global warming and a energy policy that gets us out of this downward
      spiral. I want leadership that will give us a clean, renewable and
      sustainable energy plan like the Democratic ticket has. More solar,
      geothermal and wind energy rather then "Drill baby drill". -Mark H.
    • j.a. tackett
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 5 3:25 PM
        i also find it hard to believe in the global warming stuff created by certain groups with an axe to grind..............

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 5 6:47 PM
          j.a. tackett wrote:
          > i also find it hard to believe in the global warming stuff
          > created by certain groups with an axe to grind..............

          MH wrote:
          Maybe John and Sarah will lead your way and they'll forget about
          the important things Americans really want and need. Like
          Real leadership away from the status quo & the oil fix we're into now.
          I don't believe finite energy sources are going to get cheaper. Do you?
          Solar, wind and tidal forces will continue as long as the sun continues
          and its a free energy source that can be put to good use now rather than
          later. We need new leadership not 4 more years of the same.
          So grind away baby. -Mark H.
        • Ted Howard
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 6 1:47 AM
            Hey Carl
            Yep! Watch the pollies 'bread and circus' game and you'd think more
            folks would be woken up to how insane it ALL is! I'm heartened to find
            kindred spirits here who on some level seem to understand how rigged
            the game is, and would prefer to ride bikes and build community
            instead! Go team Xtracycle!

            Check out this article:
            http://carolynbaker.net/site/content/view/694/1/
            POLITICAL WILL, POLITICAL WON'T, By Paul Chefurka
            Wednesday, 03 September 2008
            Politics is the problem, not the solution....

            Regards
            Ted
            Nelson, NZ
          • Mark Garvey
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 6 4:45 AM

              On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 10:40 AM, MH <hoagy@...> wrote:
              in part...
              Most Americans are working
              harder for less and falling behind or struggling to keep up
              with inflation...

              OK, something that I have been thinking about here.  First, though I have been a union member in the past, I am not particularly enamored with them in their current state of being....but!

              The largest economic boom this country has ever seen took place in the 1940s thru 1960's...the time of the rise of unions.  The union itself is not entirely necessary, BUT the fact that the "average working man (or woman)" was experiencing ever increasing wages meant that they could AFFORD to purchase a house, a car, and all that food!  They in turn supported more and more businesses.

              Most companies today apparently believe that by  reducing pay and benefits for short term profits that they are making their company more successful. It is the EXACT opposite.  When you Move an industrial plant to someplace for cheaper labor, you lose a large number of consumers for your  (and other people's )product line in your intended market.  This MIGHT be worthwhile for a very few companies, but if you move your entire industrial base offshore, leaving your home country with no jobs, who will buy your product at home?

              The remaining corporations see the economy going down (high unemployment, low profits) and decide that they MUST reduce wages to continue to make a profit and then THEIR employees are no longer able to purchase as many goods and services as before, leading to a further loss of business, profits and ultimately, jobs.

              This is the situation we find ourselves in today.  People are not making as much as they were 50 years ago.  A friend mentioned that his father worked in a packing plant (now shut down) for about $4 an hour back in the 1960's.  His mother did not work outside the home, they had a nice house and two cars.  A "typical" 1960's family.    Today at $20 an hour (If you can find a job for that much!) a single worker can barely make ends meet.  Most traditional families have TWO people working full time to support a similar lifestyle to that supported by a single worker in 1960.

              I don't know.   I can see that I personally am working an average of 50 hours a week (often 53-55) PLUS working a small business on weekends to pay the bills.  My wife does not work outside the home (OUR choice, not mine! and partly due to a medical condition) We are  not living a lavish lifestyle, or even particularly upper middle class.

              I would submit that inflation is not the problem so much as the ever decreasing wages and benefits.   Our insurance at work has been rising in cost every year and we have not gotten a pay increase for 3 years, partially due to this.  the company has absorbed the $100 to $200 a month INCREASE in our medical benefits for the last few years and not bumped our pay.  So inflation, even at the low rate it has been moving, is making my dollar "worth" less.

              I really don;'t know where it will go.

              mark