Re: [rootsradicals] Interested in snapdeck kid seats?

  • jimmy
    Message 1 of 37 , Sep 3, 2008
      Thanks, Dane!

      How about this (for only $5.50!):
      http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,55818_Easton-EA50-Road-Bike-Stem-318-mm.html?cm_mmc=PaidPlacement-_-Shopzilla-_-WBIZ8-_-Easton_EA50_Road_Bike_Stem_-_31.8_mm

      This is gonna work, right?

      ----- Original Message ----
      From: Dane Buson <Zuvembi@...>
      To: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, September 3, 2008 3:57:17 PM
      Subject: Re: [rootsradicals] Interested in snapdeck kid seats?

      --- In rootsradicals@ yahoogroups. com, jimmy <mrjimmy55@. ..> wrote:

      > Hi, I'm new to this. Just got my Xtra yesterday. I looked around,
      > but couldn't find some conclusive information on stoker stems. Does
      > anyone know where I could find one that would fit my large (31.6mm)
      > seat post?

      Have you thought about using an oversized (31.8) stem, and then using
      the 1" adapter shim in the 'wrong' end of the for the handlebar?
      Granted, you'll need to buy an adjustable one so you can have a straight
      (zero degree) angle. But I think it would work.

      Example from nashbar for $40.

      http://nashbar. com/profile. cfm?sku=24281

      --
      Dane Buson - Buson@unixbigots. org
      You should emulate your heros, but don't carry it too far.

    • Jeff Snavely
      Message 37 of 37 , Sep 15, 2008
        The general public derives their sense of risk from the news media and "common sense".

        Unfortunately, neither is a reliable source of information.

        On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 8:08 AM, Mighk Wilson <mwilson@...> wrote:

        Cara wrote:
        >> A lot of this gets back to Ken Kifer's (I think it was him) comment
        about cars being dangerous and bikes (and pedestrians) being vulnerable.

        Many people tell me they will not ride their bikes because it is
        dangerous.<<

        I've found that many (most?) people do not understand the difference
        between "dangerous," "vulnerable" and "risk."

        While cyclists are indeed quite vulnerable, the risk of being harmed
        while cycling is quite low if the cyclist rides competently, maintains
        his/her machine properly, and obeys the rules of the road.

        I find myself getting less and less impressed with the intelligence of
        my fellow Americans as the years go by. They know far more about
        Britney Spears than about things that matter.

        Mighk

        "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with
        stupidity, and make it work for you."
        -- Frank Zappa