Re: Interested in snapdeck kid seats?

  • Jay & Liz
    Message 1 of 37 , Sep 3, 2008
      A kit would bring me from not interested (because I'm a DIY kind of guy) to something I
      would consider.
      JayS.

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "stoutag" <thestouts2@...> wrote:

      > The particular marine plywood I'm using is Okoume good two sides which
      > sells for roughly $140 a 4'x8'x1/2" sheet not including shipping, and
      > will make two seats.
      >
      > The reasons this is my first choice are:
      >
      > 1)its strength to weight ratio is very good, allowing the setup to not
      > only withstand a lot of stress, but also keep the weight down. This
      > setup with rain cover weighs HALF what our two kid trailer does.
      >
      > 2)Its designed to survive very harsh envrionments over extended
      > periods of time.
      >
      > 3)Its a good medium for tooling available to most people with basic
      > tooling.
      >
      > 4)Its gorgeous stuff.
      >
      > So here's another curiosity question. I'm hardly in this for the
      > profit/business side of this. I know this is hardly likely to ever
      > bring in much money, and I'm intentionally keeping the costs as low as
      > I can and not begrudge doing it. I simply want to fascilitate folks
      > having the benefits of a setup like this even if they aren't able to
      > do it themselves or dont have the tooling.
      >
      > This does bring up a question though, which has been talked about a
      > bit here and there. Of those who have voiced interest via email, blog
      > and here, how many of you would be willing and able to finish this
      > setup if I sent out a kit per se. When I say kit I mean, cut out
      > pieces of wood, sanded and routed, with fabricated seat cushions, and
      > plans for hardware placement and strap details?
      >
      > The litigious aspect of our society is the one other thing that makes
      > me hesitant to consider this, and I'll look into the avenue you
      > mentioned (Dave). But regardless I'll definitely have some kind of
      > disclaimer/waiver since I like my family and don't want some
      > uninformed sue-happy person to ruin my family's livelihood.

    • Jeff Snavely
      Message 37 of 37 , Sep 15, 2008
        The general public derives their sense of risk from the news media and "common sense".

        Unfortunately, neither is a reliable source of information.

        On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 8:08 AM, Mighk Wilson <mwilson@...> wrote:

        Cara wrote:
        >> A lot of this gets back to Ken Kifer's (I think it was him) comment
        about cars being dangerous and bikes (and pedestrians) being vulnerable.

        Many people tell me they will not ride their bikes because it is
        dangerous.<<

        I've found that many (most?) people do not understand the difference
        between "dangerous," "vulnerable" and "risk."

        While cyclists are indeed quite vulnerable, the risk of being harmed
        while cycling is quite low if the cyclist rides competently, maintains
        his/her machine properly, and obeys the rules of the road.

        I find myself getting less and less impressed with the intelligence of
        my fellow Americans as the years go by. They know far more about
        Britney Spears than about things that matter.

        Mighk

        "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with
        stupidity, and make it work for you."
        -- Frank Zappa