Re: Interested in snapdeck kid seats?

  • stoutag
    Message 1 of 37 , Sep 3, 2008
      The particular marine plywood I'm using is Okoume good two sides which
      sells for roughly $140 a 4'x8'x1/2" sheet not including shipping, and
      will make two seats.

      The reasons this is my first choice are:

      1)its strength to weight ratio is very good, allowing the setup to not
      only withstand a lot of stress, but also keep the weight down. This
      setup with rain cover weighs HALF what our two kid trailer does.

      2)Its designed to survive very harsh envrionments over extended
      periods of time.

      3)Its a good medium for tooling available to most people with basic
      tooling.

      4)Its gorgeous stuff.

      So here's another curiosity question. I'm hardly in this for the
      profit/business side of this. I know this is hardly likely to ever
      bring in much money, and I'm intentionally keeping the costs as low as
      I can and not begrudge doing it. I simply want to fascilitate folks
      having the benefits of a setup like this even if they aren't able to
      do it themselves or dont have the tooling.

      This does bring up a question though, which has been talked about a
      bit here and there. Of those who have voiced interest via email, blog
      and here, how many of you would be willing and able to finish this
      setup if I sent out a kit per se. When I say kit I mean, cut out
      pieces of wood, sanded and routed, with fabricated seat cushions, and
      plans for hardware placement and strap details?

      The litigious aspect of our society is the one other thing that makes
      me hesitant to consider this, and I'll look into the avenue you
      mentioned (Dave). But regardless I'll definitely have some kind of
      disclaimer/waiver since I like my family and don't want some
      uninformed sue-happy person to ruin my family's livelihood.
    • Jeff Snavely
      Message 37 of 37 , Sep 15, 2008
        The general public derives their sense of risk from the news media and "common sense".

        Unfortunately, neither is a reliable source of information.

        On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 8:08 AM, Mighk Wilson <mwilson@...> wrote:

        Cara wrote:
        >> A lot of this gets back to Ken Kifer's (I think it was him) comment
        about cars being dangerous and bikes (and pedestrians) being vulnerable.

        Many people tell me they will not ride their bikes because it is
        dangerous.<<

        I've found that many (most?) people do not understand the difference
        between "dangerous," "vulnerable" and "risk."

        While cyclists are indeed quite vulnerable, the risk of being harmed
        while cycling is quite low if the cyclist rides competently, maintains
        his/her machine properly, and obeys the rules of the road.

        I find myself getting less and less impressed with the intelligence of
        my fellow Americans as the years go by. They know far more about
        Britney Spears than about things that matter.

        Mighk

        "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with
        stupidity, and make it work for you."
        -- Frank Zappa