Re: [rootsradicals] Re: new here, townie pea pod question

  • Abigail vR
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1 9:53 PM
      Thanks for your reply. The key turned out to be a combo of finding
      just the right spot for the ATB bracket and not following the
      installation instructions to the letter. If I did, I couldn't get the
      seat in position once the bracket was in place. I had to attach the
      seat to the bracket earlier than suggested and wiggle stuff around as
      I tightened. It's on, though, and my 2.5 year old loves it!

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/abigailvr/2817874691/

      Now I just need to figure out if his big brother needs some sort of
      seat and/or restraint back there. He's pretty good at hanging on and
      I don't plan to take him on long rides, just to school and back and
      maybe errands.

      Thanks again!

      Abigail

      On Sep 1, 2008, at 1:07 PM, nicykathryn wrote:

      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Abigail" <abigailvr@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi All,
      > >
      > > I just picked up my Townie Xtracycle and have been having a devil
      > of a
      > > time getting the Pea Pod attached to the back. I can't seem to find
      > > the magic spot for the ATB bracket so that the Pea Pod can reach the
      > > locking brackets without it sitting on the Snap Deck...
      >
      > I had similar trouble with my 18" Motiv Al (aluminum frame). Finally,
      > my Pea Pod just hovered less than an inch over the snapdeck, and I got
      > used to dodging my heels just so, so they would not snag on the black
      > thumbscrew things.
      >
      > I considered turning the thumbscrew things (the "locking brackets"
      > right?) to face inward, but it would have meant bending the PeaPod
      > stays. After having used the Pea Pod for 3 years frequently, I'm sure
      > I could have done that with no affect on strength/stability.
      >
      > Those PeaPods are STRONG. Go ahead and be creative.

    • Laura A. Hamilton
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 8 11:26 AM
        I have two kids and a step-through Electra Townie on order as well,
        that I'm planning on having converted.

        I have a 1.5yo who would go in the PeaPod, but I'm not sure what
        solution to use for my 4.5yo. I was looking at your photo and your
        older child has his legs inside the bags.

        So if I plan on going grocery shopping with my two kids, where would
        my older kid's legs go?

        And is there some kind of backrest or restraint available for the
        older kid riding behind? I worry that he might get sleepy and roll off
        the back, or if we get bumped by a car, etc.

        I'm having trouble working out the two kids thing. Obviously plenty of
        people do it, but I don't have the bike knowledge to work out my own
        custom solution.

        Thanks!
        Laura in Saratoga CA

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Abigail vR <abigailvr@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for your reply. The key turned out to be a combo of finding
        > just the right spot for the ATB bracket and not following the
        > installation instructions to the letter. If I did, I couldn't get the
        > seat in position once the bracket was in place. I had to attach the
        > seat to the bracket earlier than suggested and wiggle stuff around as
        > I tightened. It's on, though, and my 2.5 year old loves it!
        >
        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/abigailvr/2817874691/
        >
        > Now I just need to figure out if his big brother needs some sort of
        > seat and/or restraint back there. He's pretty good at hanging on and
        > I don't plan to take him on long rides, just to school and back and
        > maybe errands.
        >
        > Thanks again!
        >
        > Abigail
      • Abigail vR
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 8 1:53 PM
          Hi Laura,

          I haven't gone grocery shopping with my bike yet (I just got it last
          week and then I had a steering issue that stopped me from riding for
          almost another week). I thought it would be safer for him to have his
          legs in the bag, since there's no foot rest. Honestly, my plan is to
          only go grocery shopping when my older son is in school (he's in 1st
          grade). His legs take up quite a bit of space back there and he
          weighs 55lbs, so leaving him off gives me a lot more power to bring
          the groceries home, when ever I get around to actually trying it!

          My plan for a restraint/backrest is to get my husband to bold some
          sort of board upright on the snap deck and maybe attach a simple
          buckle for a seat belt. So far I've only taken the big guy to school
          and back which is just 1.6 miles, so he has no problem hanging on to
          the pea pod. I had thought about trying to get a Bobike Jr. bolted
          to the snap deck for him but I am not sure how that would happen and
          it seemed like he didn't really need it.

          Good luck figuring it all out!

          Abigail

          On Sep 8, 2008, at 11:26 AM, Laura A. Hamilton wrote:

          > I have two kids and a step-through Electra Townie on order as well,
          > that I'm planning on having converted.
          >
          > I have a 1.5yo who would go in the PeaPod, but I'm not sure what
          > solution to use for my 4.5yo. I was looking at your photo and your
          > older child has his legs inside the bags.
          >
          > So if I plan on going grocery shopping with my two kids, where would
          > my older kid's legs go?
          >
          > And is there some kind of backrest or restraint available for the
          > older kid riding behind? I worry that he might get sleepy and roll off
          > the back, or if we get bumped by a car, etc.
          >
          > I'm having trouble working out the two kids thing. Obviously plenty of
          > people do it, but I don't have the bike knowledge to work out my own
          > custom solution.
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Laura in Saratoga CA
          >
          > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Abigail vR <abigailvr@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Thanks for your reply. The key turned out to be a combo of finding
          > > just the right spot for the ATB bracket and not following the
          > > installation instructions to the letter. If I did, I couldn't get
          > the
          > > seat in position once the bracket was in place. I had to attach the
          > > seat to the bracket earlier than suggested and wiggle stuff
          > around as
          > > I tightened. It's on, though, and my 2.5 year old loves it!
          > >
          > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/abigailvr/2817874691/
          > >
          > > Now I just need to figure out if his big brother needs some sort of
          > > seat and/or restraint back there. He's pretty good at hanging on and
          > > I don't plan to take him on long rides, just to school and back and
          > > maybe errands.
          > >
          > > Thanks again!
          > >
          > > Abigail

        • kennliza
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 9 8:53 AM
            I carry a three-year-old and a five-year-old on my X, in heavy
            traffic, every day.

            Our solution was simple. We made a second snapdeck (with velcro
            straps, so it clips on, but it also wraps around so that it can't pop
            off) and bolted a few things to it:

            This
            http://www.target.com/The-First-Years-On-The-Go-Booster/dp/B00005N9X5/qid=1220973081/ref=br_1_15/601-2649488-5088961?ie=UTF8&node=13774431&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1
            and a set of stoker bars work like a charm for my little one. She's
            got buckles, and a pocket for treasures, and she loves to hold on like
            mama. Her feet dangle (which seems OK with her), or she props them up
            on the tube beneath my seat. If my bags are full, she props her feet
            up on top of those.

            We found hangers for hoses or electrical cords, which make ideal
            handles and backrests for an older kid. And we used one of those foam
            kneelers for gardeners to pad it for our older one. She's NOT tall --
            only 42" -- and her feet actually reach footsies most of the time, and
            if the bags are loaded, she just steps on those.

            Here's a picture.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/pryor_kornack/2702848792/?edited=1

            It's the simplest hack ever. And it really works super well.

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Laura A. Hamilton"
            <mslaura@...> wrote:

            > I have two kids and a step-through Electra Townie on order as well,
            > that I'm planning on having converted.
            >
            > I have a 1.5yo who would go in the PeaPod, but I'm not sure what
            > solution to use for my 4.5yo. I was looking at your photo and your
            > older child has his legs inside the bags.
            >
            > So if I plan on going grocery shopping with my two kids, where would
            > my older kid's legs go?
            >
            > And is there some kind of backrest or restraint available for the
            > older kid riding behind? I worry that he might get sleepy and roll off
            > the back, or if we get bumped by a car, etc.
            >
            > I'm having trouble working out the two kids thing. Obviously plenty of
            > people do it, but I don't have the bike knowledge to work out my own
            > custom solution.
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Laura in Saratoga CA
            >
            > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Abigail vR <abigailvr@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Thanks for your reply. The key turned out to be a combo of finding
            > > just the right spot for the ATB bracket and not following the
            > > installation instructions to the letter. If I did, I couldn't get
            the
            > > seat in position once the bracket was in place. I had to attach the
            > > seat to the bracket earlier than suggested and wiggle stuff around
            as
            > > I tightened. It's on, though, and my 2.5 year old loves it!
            > >
            > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/abigailvr/2817874691/
            > >
            > > Now I just need to figure out if his big brother needs some sort of
            > > seat and/or restraint back there. He's pretty good at hanging on and
            > > I don't plan to take him on long rides, just to school and back and
            > > maybe errands.
            > >
            > > Thanks again!
            > >
            > > Abigail

          • Chris Hobbs