Re: new here, townie pea pod question

  • nicykathryn
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2008
      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Abigail" <abigailvr@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > I just picked up my Townie Xtracycle and have been having a devil of a
      > time getting the Pea Pod attached to the back. I can't seem to find
      > the magic spot for the ATB bracket so that the Pea Pod can reach the
      > locking brackets without it sitting on the Snap Deck...

      I had similar trouble with my 18" Motiv Al (aluminum frame). Finally,
      my Pea Pod just hovered less than an inch over the snapdeck, and I got
      used to dodging my heels just so, so they would not snag on the black
      thumbscrew things.

      I considered turning the thumbscrew things (the "locking brackets"
      right?) to face inward, but it would have meant bending the PeaPod
      stays. After having used the Pea Pod for 3 years frequently, I'm sure
      I could have done that with no affect on strength/stability.

      Those PeaPods are STRONG. Go ahead and be creative.
    • Abigail vR
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2008
        Thanks for your reply. The key turned out to be a combo of finding
        just the right spot for the ATB bracket and not following the
        installation instructions to the letter. If I did, I couldn't get the
        seat in position once the bracket was in place. I had to attach the
        seat to the bracket earlier than suggested and wiggle stuff around as
        I tightened. It's on, though, and my 2.5 year old loves it!

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/abigailvr/2817874691/

        Now I just need to figure out if his big brother needs some sort of
        seat and/or restraint back there. He's pretty good at hanging on and
        I don't plan to take him on long rides, just to school and back and
        maybe errands.

        Thanks again!

        Abigail

        On Sep 1, 2008, at 1:07 PM, nicykathryn wrote:

        > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Abigail" <abigailvr@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi All,
        > >
        > > I just picked up my Townie Xtracycle and have been having a devil
        > of a
        > > time getting the Pea Pod attached to the back. I can't seem to find
        > > the magic spot for the ATB bracket so that the Pea Pod can reach the
        > > locking brackets without it sitting on the Snap Deck...
        >
        > I had similar trouble with my 18" Motiv Al (aluminum frame). Finally,
        > my Pea Pod just hovered less than an inch over the snapdeck, and I got
        > used to dodging my heels just so, so they would not snag on the black
        > thumbscrew things.
        >
        > I considered turning the thumbscrew things (the "locking brackets"
        > right?) to face inward, but it would have meant bending the PeaPod
        > stays. After having used the Pea Pod for 3 years frequently, I'm sure
        > I could have done that with no affect on strength/stability.
        >
        > Those PeaPods are STRONG. Go ahead and be creative.

      • Laura A. Hamilton
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 8, 2008
          I have two kids and a step-through Electra Townie on order as well,
          that I'm planning on having converted.

          I have a 1.5yo who would go in the PeaPod, but I'm not sure what
          solution to use for my 4.5yo. I was looking at your photo and your
          older child has his legs inside the bags.

          So if I plan on going grocery shopping with my two kids, where would
          my older kid's legs go?

          And is there some kind of backrest or restraint available for the
          older kid riding behind? I worry that he might get sleepy and roll off
          the back, or if we get bumped by a car, etc.

          I'm having trouble working out the two kids thing. Obviously plenty of
          people do it, but I don't have the bike knowledge to work out my own
          custom solution.

          Thanks!
          Laura in Saratoga CA

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Abigail vR <abigailvr@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for your reply. The key turned out to be a combo of finding
          > just the right spot for the ATB bracket and not following the
          > installation instructions to the letter. If I did, I couldn't get the
          > seat in position once the bracket was in place. I had to attach the
          > seat to the bracket earlier than suggested and wiggle stuff around as
          > I tightened. It's on, though, and my 2.5 year old loves it!
          >
          > http://www.flickr.com/photos/abigailvr/2817874691/
          >
          > Now I just need to figure out if his big brother needs some sort of
          > seat and/or restraint back there. He's pretty good at hanging on and
          > I don't plan to take him on long rides, just to school and back and
          > maybe errands.
          >
          > Thanks again!
          >
          > Abigail
        • Abigail vR
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 8, 2008
            Hi Laura,

            I haven't gone grocery shopping with my bike yet (I just got it last
            week and then I had a steering issue that stopped me from riding for
            almost another week). I thought it would be safer for him to have his
            legs in the bag, since there's no foot rest. Honestly, my plan is to
            only go grocery shopping when my older son is in school (he's in 1st
            grade). His legs take up quite a bit of space back there and he
            weighs 55lbs, so leaving him off gives me a lot more power to bring
            the groceries home, when ever I get around to actually trying it!

            My plan for a restraint/backrest is to get my husband to bold some
            sort of board upright on the snap deck and maybe attach a simple
            buckle for a seat belt. So far I've only taken the big guy to school
            and back which is just 1.6 miles, so he has no problem hanging on to
            the pea pod. I had thought about trying to get a Bobike Jr. bolted
            to the snap deck for him but I am not sure how that would happen and
            it seemed like he didn't really need it.

            Good luck figuring it all out!

            Abigail

            On Sep 8, 2008, at 11:26 AM, Laura A. Hamilton wrote:

            > I have two kids and a step-through Electra Townie on order as well,
            > that I'm planning on having converted.
            >
            > I have a 1.5yo who would go in the PeaPod, but I'm not sure what
            > solution to use for my 4.5yo. I was looking at your photo and your
            > older child has his legs inside the bags.
            >
            > So if I plan on going grocery shopping with my two kids, where would
            > my older kid's legs go?
            >
            > And is there some kind of backrest or restraint available for the
            > older kid riding behind? I worry that he might get sleepy and roll off
            > the back, or if we get bumped by a car, etc.
            >
            > I'm having trouble working out the two kids thing. Obviously plenty of
            > people do it, but I don't have the bike knowledge to work out my own
            > custom solution.
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Laura in Saratoga CA
            >
            > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Abigail vR <abigailvr@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Thanks for your reply. The key turned out to be a combo of finding
            > > just the right spot for the ATB bracket and not following the
            > > installation instructions to the letter. If I did, I couldn't get
            > the
            > > seat in position once the bracket was in place. I had to attach the
            > > seat to the bracket earlier than suggested and wiggle stuff
            > around as
            > > I tightened. It's on, though, and my 2.5 year old loves it!
            > >
            > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/abigailvr/2817874691/
            > >
            > > Now I just need to figure out if his big brother needs some sort of
            > > seat and/or restraint back there. He's pretty good at hanging on and
            > > I don't plan to take him on long rides, just to school and back and
            > > maybe errands.
            > >
            > > Thanks again!
            > >
            > > Abigail

          • kennliza
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 9, 2008
              I carry a three-year-old and a five-year-old on my X, in heavy
              traffic, every day.

              Our solution was simple. We made a second snapdeck (with velcro
              straps, so it clips on, but it also wraps around so that it can't pop
              off) and bolted a few things to it:

              This
              http://www.target.com/The-First-Years-On-The-Go-Booster/dp/B00005N9X5/qid=1220973081/ref=br_1_15/601-2649488-5088961?ie=UTF8&node=13774431&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1
              and a set of stoker bars work like a charm for my little one. She's
              got buckles, and a pocket for treasures, and she loves to hold on like
              mama. Her feet dangle (which seems OK with her), or she props them up
              on the tube beneath my seat. If my bags are full, she props her feet
              up on top of those.

              We found hangers for hoses or electrical cords, which make ideal
              handles and backrests for an older kid. And we used one of those foam
              kneelers for gardeners to pad it for our older one. She's NOT tall --
              only 42" -- and her feet actually reach footsies most of the time, and
              if the bags are loaded, she just steps on those.

              Here's a picture.
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/pryor_kornack/2702848792/?edited=1

              It's the simplest hack ever. And it really works super well.

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Laura A. Hamilton"
              <mslaura@...> wrote:

              > I have two kids and a step-through Electra Townie on order as well,
              > that I'm planning on having converted.
              >
              > I have a 1.5yo who would go in the PeaPod, but I'm not sure what
              > solution to use for my 4.5yo. I was looking at your photo and your
              > older child has his legs inside the bags.
              >
              > So if I plan on going grocery shopping with my two kids, where would
              > my older kid's legs go?
              >
              > And is there some kind of backrest or restraint available for the
              > older kid riding behind? I worry that he might get sleepy and roll off
              > the back, or if we get bumped by a car, etc.
              >
              > I'm having trouble working out the two kids thing. Obviously plenty of
              > people do it, but I don't have the bike knowledge to work out my own
              > custom solution.
              >
              > Thanks!
              > Laura in Saratoga CA
              >
              > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Abigail vR <abigailvr@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Thanks for your reply. The key turned out to be a combo of finding
              > > just the right spot for the ATB bracket and not following the
              > > installation instructions to the letter. If I did, I couldn't get
              the
              > > seat in position once the bracket was in place. I had to attach the
              > > seat to the bracket earlier than suggested and wiggle stuff around
              as
              > > I tightened. It's on, though, and my 2.5 year old loves it!
              > >
              > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/abigailvr/2817874691/
              > >
              > > Now I just need to figure out if his big brother needs some sort of
              > > seat and/or restraint back there. He's pretty good at hanging on and
              > > I don't plan to take him on long rides, just to school and back and
              > > maybe errands.
              > >
              > > Thanks again!
              > >
              > > Abigail

            • Chris Hobbs