Re: Local news feature

  • Morgan
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 31, 2008
      Hey Carl,

      For a bit of uplift on the subject, you might check out "The Small Mart Revolution" that
      I mentioned in a previous message. It gives a lot of cause for hope. Among
      other things, it argues that business as usual (what he calls TINA, or "there is no
      other alternative" to big corporate business) is not actually as economically viable
      as its cheerleaders promote. He argues that the main reason that TINA has
      such a lead in our economy is due to its vastly greater access to capital markets
      than small businesses, not due to better profitability.

      Running my own small business, I can agree with that. But
      there are many efforts underway to change that, so that small businesses can
      fairly gain a slice of the investment pie to help them grow and expand.

      He also points out that more and more people are getting tired of the same old
      big box stores, and that many small businesses can benefit from being different,
      and being local. We've certainly seen some of that in our own local customers,
      and hope that trend strengthens.

      Morgan

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "kwikfile08" <kwikfile@...> wrote:

      > Mark,
      >
      > Great story but sad too... This flooding must have been real bad. I say that because 100
      > years ago and more "Old parts of town" were built with nature in mind. New Orleans
      older
      > areas for the most part were dry. Out here in california in Cambria, the newer part of
      town
      > post 1940's was under water in their big flood while the "Old Town" was high and dry.
      So